Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

What do you think of music genre elitists?

Last posted Oct 05, 2014 at 12:41PM EDT. Added Sep 25, 2014 at 05:24PM EDT
26 posts from 19 users

Depends if you're talkin' about vidya genres or music genres.
I'm guessin' it's 'bout music, I honestly don't give a shit about genres. I'm not that much into music at all, really, I just playlist songs that I stumble across the Internets and I happen to like, and as things are with Internet-borne music, most of it can hardly even be qualified to any specific genre.

As for people, I learned to mostly ignore people's opinions, so I could hardly care less.

Sadly, they're a lot of heavy metal elitists. They think they're "tru metl fans" but they discriminate the work of bands like Metallica or Megadeth. The moment they do that they're commonly bad seen in most metal webpages or forums, thank god.

>mfw listen exclusively to progressive ghost drone and post-jazz improvisations
>mfw everyone i know listens to shitty music like punk, hip-hop, folk and EDM

Pretty much what's been said for ages. They're jerks. Elitism of any kind is bad, even for something as petty as music. Music is one of the most subjective tastes out there that pretty much cannot be judged on a level plain where everyone objectively agrees to what music is best. Sadly, music is one of the tastes people judge the most in other people despite the fact that it's so subjective unlike some art forms like video games and movies which can be rated on a somewhat objective form while still being subjective since it's art.

Can't stand them. Just take a look at the Facebook page for Rocksmith. Each time Ubisoft announces a Rocksmith DLC of a non-metal band, the metal elitists come out of nowhere and attack the band that's announced.

Papa Coolface wrote:

>mfw listen exclusively to progressive ghost drone and post-jazz improvisations
>mfw everyone i know listens to shitty music like punk, hip-hop, folk and EDM

>mfw i listen to dnb-jazz fusion, psychedelic/indie rock,
>mfw no one even heard of these shits
>mfw you guys are my only friend

Well, I am always the first person to be praising classic rock as the bastion of great, meaningful music, and I can get pretty heavy-handed with that at times. However, though I may say otherwise in a half-joking/half-serious manner, I recognize the artistic integrity of (most) other genres and don't really think you're a worse, less intelligent person for proffering those more.
So in other words, I'm only partially a dick. Maybe an eighth.

A quarter.

A half.

Three fifths.

Seven- ah fuck it, you get the idea.

yep, hate every last one of music elitist, thats why i stopped going to 4chan´s /mu/ and rap genius, where apparently they dislike most experimental rap (for some dumbass reason) cause "it sound like a jammed printer and its made by 2deep4u rappers"

Ooooooh….I have a very special loathing for genre elitists…especially ones that say this:

"It's not music unless it's has a vocalist"
"It's not music unless it has 3 lead guitars all power riffing at the same time"
"It's not music unless it's played by an authentic 16th century west indies celtic harpsichord"

Fuck. You. Do not tell me what "isn't music"

A music elitist is simply someone who doesn't understand that music is so wildly subjective that what sounds like harmony to one man is just noise to another. And in fact, there's no way to gauge what is "superior music" thanks to everyones neurology interpreting music differently. So anyone who acts like their tastes are superior are quickly viewed as ignorant to me

I have pretty exclusive tastes. But you never hear me drone on about how my favorite genres are teh greatest thing evar. I don't talk about my tastes as if it's better than others, nor do I criticize other genres as garbage. If I don't get that same respect in return, I'll be very annoyed

Unfortunately I run into these people all the time on Youtube

Ok now that I think about it I'm not much of an elitist in terms of genre, but I do feel guilty listening to some things (mostly pop variants such as J-pop or stuff they actually play on the radioin America), I do tend to focus on certain genres such as metal and electronic, and I will sometime avoid certain kinds of music genres. On the other hand, I've listened to a lot of different kinds of music and if someone says something is good, I will probably give it a chance.

I don't think there's anything wrong with differentiating between genres. If something's not emo for example there's nothing wrong with saying its not. I don't even mind the really long obscure genre names. What annoys me is when people say that x genre is objectively better or worse than y. On the site Ultimate Guitar they have a music news section. Everytime there is an article on a rapper or pop artist there will be ten or so comments saying "these guys aren't even rock what are they doing on here?" or "the website is called ultimate guitar not ultimate rap" even though there are no objections when a drummer, bassist or singer from a rock band is featured. People will often refer to everyone on the site as part of "the metal community".

@Bonepart

don’t think there’s anything wrong with differentiating between genres. If something’s not emo for example there’s nothing wrong with saying its not.

On the flipside however, genre differentiation can also get pretty messy.

If something isn't emo, then there is nothing wrong with saying it is not. But sometimes emo is just emo. Not nu-emo, old-emo, progressive-emo or hardcore-emo etc and it's senseless to try and split the genres up further

The problem with genre differentiation comes when it's taken too far and people try to differentiate genres down to frivolous details such as the specific use of a specific instrument, an exact tone, exact mood used or a unique styling that only one band uses. This gets confusing and annoying. I also consider this a form of music elitism, because people do this when they want to apply special snowflake syndrome to their own brand of music or favorite artists.

Mini-rant:
I don't know if rock circles get that a lot, but it's rampant in EDM circles. In just about all the music I browse, there's always somebody arguing over what genre it is because nearly all EDM subgenres sound pretty much identical.

You can show the average person Psytrance, Hard Trance, Goa Trance, Electropop and Industrial and not a damn one of them will tell them apart. (People can't even tell Electro-House apart from Dubstep which is rather sad). But you'll still get people who are like "HAHA DUMBASS, IT'S SO OBVIOUS THIS IS THIS BECAUSE THAT 2ND BEAT WAS 5 MILLISECONDS OFF". It's reached a point where I purposely ignore 95% of all subgenres and group them under their parents because fuck that noise.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!