Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

So you want to make some music (getting started tutorial)

Last posted Oct 21, 2014 at 06:06PM EDT. Added Oct 21, 2014 at 02:03PM EDT
2 posts from 1 user

I’ve seen a few posts here that although with good intentions end up not helping people who want to make music on their computer. I’m here to help! In this thread I will list a variety of software and hardware that will help you to make music in no time.

Lets start with hardware

Interfaces
An interface is a device that allows you to play music (via keyboard, guitar, singing, etc) into your software. They come in a variety of prices and have a variety of features, but the most important thing is that an interface has a high end sound card made for recording. Lets look at features: for example some have a mic preamp and a line in, others have combo (that mic and line) in. They can come with a variety of outs for speaker (aka monitors, its confusing because monitors can also refer to screens). Let me give an example with what my interface has. It has four channels via combo jacks. That allows me to plug in four instruments or four mics or a combination of the two. It has two power switches to power certain microphones (phantom power) that give power to channels 1/2 and 3/4. It has four channel inserts (each respective to the channels) that allow me to use analogue effects racks (I don’t even use this). Lastly it has a trs (its 1/4in stereo cable) outs to monitors.

TL;DR version: If you wish to play guitar or sing, a interface would be something you need.

Microphones
This is going to get confusing but I’ll try to keep it simple. First lets talk about dynamic vs condenser mics. There are more than two types of microphones, but the most popular are dynamic and condenser. Dynamic microphones can generally a live music mic. Its very sturdy, hard to break, but its sound quality is so so. Its also not very sensitive so you need to make a lot of noise to get signal in. Condenser mics are the opposite, they are generally recording mic. They are fragile, sensitive, record very high quality, and they also require phantom power (I mentioned it in interfaces). Dynamics mics are generally cheap, but condensers are generally expensive. Each microphone is different for everybody so these generalities are not hard rules. I suggest getting your hands on a few to try to see if they are the one you want to buy.

Next is something technology has brought us, USB mics! They are nice because you don’t need to buy a interface or cable to use them. Most of them are condenser mics thanks to serendipity. The Snowball and Yeti are the most popular models and are very high quality. The downside is you cannot record more than one track at a time if you pan to use USB mics.

TL;DR version: You can use a variety of mic, some traditional, other USB. Condenser mics are generally the way to go, but finding the right mics is not a hard and fast science.

Controller
A controller is a device that allows you to play midi data into the computer. They generally use a keyboard interface, but they can also come in the form of a guitar or saxophone. They most commonly connect in via USB, but traditional midi cables are also an option if you have midi connectors in your interface. If you get a controller that can also make its own sound (like a keyboard), you often can set up your software to send midi data back to the keyboard. That has a lot of uses. My suggestion stay away from Casio keyboards because they use their own proprietary midi programming make it near impossible to use with software… and thats bullshit.

TL;DR version: You probably want something that will let you play music into your software.

Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs)

This is the heart of music making on your computer. Its software that allows you to, record, sequence (that is recording midi), and mix music. They come in quite a variety of prices, but they all generally do the same thing. Lets go through some popular ones.

Protools Mac/PC
Protools is one of the industry standards. It was actually the first program that let people record music on the computer. Its very well rounded, great for just about any type of music. I believe it runs for about $600 USD, but upgrades to newer versions are cheaper. Because it was originally programed on Mac it is more stable on mac (food for thought).

Fl Studio PC/soon on Mac
Full disclosure, I hate this DAW. Its totally not the DAW for me, but it might be good for you. It actually really good for making DJ, rap, and electronic music. Don’t get it on Mac yet, all these programs crash like the Hindenburg when initially ported to another OS. Its ranges in price, but the full version I believe is about $300 USD.

Abelton Mac/PC
This is a really expensive, but very featured DAW. It the best DAW for DJ’s by far, it even has lighting parameters. Its also super expensive, about $800 USD for the full version. Don’t be tricked but the live lite version, its a really limited demo.

Logic Pro/Garageband Mac/ios
I lump these two together because they are actually the same program, but one is a stripped down version. Though it has lost some grip in the industry because of its new UI, its still a very useful and capable DAW. It was actually the first program that allowed people to record midi into a computer. Now its owned by apple and available in the app store for a measly $200 USD. Garageband is pretty limited, but also really useful. You won’t be able to change tempos or do any advanced signal processing, but its also free. Garageband is also on ios for you mobile types. Downsides, when Logic Pro 11 comes out you have to pay full price for the upgrade. Upsides it comes with a load of samples.

Digital Performer Mac/PC
I consider this DAW to be the antithesis of FL Studio. Its also an industry standard, but mostly for film music and classical music. Regardless this is a very solid DAW and it comes with some really good effects plugins. I suggest avoiding this PC users, it came to PC recently and is still very unstable on that OS. Its expensive, I think around $500 USD.

Reason Mac/PC
I don’t know much about Reason, but I keep hearing its the cows pajamas. Its seams to be similar to Abelton, but its cheaper.

Reaper Mac/PC
This program is cheap, its only $60 USD. It also comes with nothing, has a bad UI, and really bad midi quantizing. Its also super light on CPU so its good if you computer is made of wood. Also if you want to make Rock Band Network songs you need this program.

Audacity Mac/PC
I’m going to lay this down, and you probably won’t like it. If you think Audacity is going to be your be all end all program, but are an idiot or uneducated. Its a great free program, kind off. My biggest gripe with it is you can’t do effects in real time like you can in the above programs. When you do add effects you add a lot of noise which is lame. Get something better please.

TL;DR version: All digital audio workstations pretty much do the same thing, but some do other things better. Do some research and find the one best for you.

Plug ins
These are instruments and effects racks for you computer. They are expensive, but are worth the cost. Find the ones right for you. I’m not going to list any because there are actually thousands of them. Do some research on them before making a purchase.

TL;DR Don’t through you money away on plug ins you don’t know. BTW you also get what you pay for.

Notation Software
This is software for making sheet music on the computer. Here are the three music programs that do it best.

Finale Mac/PC
Its hard to learn, but you can do anything with it. You can also get stripped down versions and upgrade when you see fit. The full version comes with cheap Garrition virtual instruments.

Sibelius Mac/PC
Its easier to learn, but you can also do anything with it. It samples sound like a dying animal.

Logic Pro Mac
You can make sheet music in this. It hard as hell and it not very intuitive. But you get the bonus of the DAW so you can record the music in like a DAW (which is nice).

TL;DR version; Get what you know best is really the safe way to make a choice.

I’m not sure if I can edit so typos are sure to be rampant. Let me know if you have any other question.

I totally forgot something. Another popular DAW is called Cuebase. It used to be an industry standard, but got knocked down after the company that makes it didn't innovate its UI. Its still really good and here is something that might save you guys some money if you don't mind having a larger learning curve to get around.

This right here is an excellent audio interface that comes with the full version of cuebase. It also super cheap at only $150 USD.

The larger version is $300 which is really nice price too since you are still getting cuebase with it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!