Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

Do you like music whose lyrics in a language you don't understand?

Last posted Feb 26, 2015 at 11:14PM EST. Added Feb 19, 2015 at 05:20PM EST
26 posts from 25 users

Personally I do. I remember reading that some American music is really popular in Europe even if the people listening don't always understand it.

I think music just sounds better that way. when I hear a song in English I think about the meaning of the words and the song, and sometimes it leads to a disconnection in my mind like someone is just talking over a song, but when I hear something in say Japanese or French I can't understand any of it so it just becomes part of the song itself, words hold no meaning to me so just become another like layer of the song, like the drums or piano.

What about you guys? do you have any preference when it comes to the language of the lyrics in a song? or do you just prefer the song has no lyrics at all?

I love this song, but… it's the only example I can think of that falls into your classification. Personally, I think lyrics are hugely important to music- or, at least the kind I enjoy the most. Their meaning is what takes a song to that "next level" where it doesn't just sound pretty, but conveys something profound and intellectual. One of the main reasons Pink Floyd is my favorite band is Roger Waters' brilliant musings on philosophy and human nature.

In my musical repertoire, and regarding specifically to the songs in different languages, the only thing that I can truly say of why I like songs in languages I don't understand much (unless, of course, if I google some translations, which has happened before but it's rarely) is that the strongest element that attracts me the most is the rhythm, a certain kind of balance between sound and vocal accompaniment. It brings a unique kind of, let's say, attachment, hypnotic in some ways.

The best example I can think of is this:

A reason, perhaps unrelated but still necessary to be mentioned, is that I discovered that song thanks to a video that Thumbsupmaster did about cameos and references of the Banjo-Kazooie saga (I've noticed that the original video no longer exists, but the idea remains). I love the games of the franchise and, thus, the golden age of Rare. Somehow, the two sensations I feel with this song, about rhythm and childhood memories, converge into one entity that simply strengths my fascination of the song, even if it's in a language I don't understand.

I don't listen to much music in other languages.
The lyrics can change how I think of a song though.
Like if they are all sad and stuff I'm like "c'mon man this is a good song y u gotta give me dem feels yo"
And if it's happy I'm like "yay im happy this song is happy im gonna go draw a dragon"

I don't care about lyrics at all really and never have. To me in fact lyrics are often kind of a distraction. I enjoy many, many songs with lyrics, but all of my favorite songs have no lyrics or you guessed it, I don't understand the lyrics. For one, I listen to lots of Latin chanting since it's a pretty popular language for choirs to use in orchestral or semi-orchestral pieces. I also happen to love this song:

To me music is just music, I listen to it because it's ear candy. I don't look for meaning or anything. I don't see lyrics as necessary. I see the voice as a tool that can be used to enhance music in certain situations as an instrument and doesn't and shouldn't be the most important part.

It depends…..

Most of the time I can be perfectly fine if the songs in a different language, especially if the English lyrics are at the bottom (of the video, because that's were I listen to most of my foreign songs, on YouTube) and the song's particularly meanful. It can really suck if I don't have the lyrics though….

Unless I made up my own meaning to the song. Then when I learn about the lyrics later on, and the meaning isn't close enough to mine or a shitty meanig, the song is ruined.

When it comes to genres like rock, I think it's pretty hard to enjoy it in another language if you can't speak said language. Because part of the reason of why Rock is awesome is because you get to listen to the badass lyrics… It may be nice to hear a pretty foreign language like Japanese, but at the end of the day, it's just better if you are able to understand the lyrics just by listening to it instead of having to rely on a translation at the bottom of the music video or something.

Also, I have observed, that when listening to english covers of Japanese songs, if they are good, I may enjoy it more for similar reasons for why I don't enjoy Foriegn Rock Music… Something's just better when you can able to follow along with the song….

Last edited Feb 20, 2015 at 12:02AM EST

As music is a pretty universal thing, I find it easier to like music from other cultures or performed in other languages than some other forms of entertainment. What I like even more is when songs from other countries are not done in their native tongue.

English (I understand it)
Spanish (I understand it)
Catalan (I undestand it)
Italian
German
Japanese
Russian
Euskara
Arab
Portuguese
Chinese
Galician

Yeah, I would say that I enjoy music in languages I don't understand.

Last edited Feb 20, 2015 at 03:55AM EST

ITT: weebs

Most of the songs I listen to though don't have vocals or anything like that (EDM/Dubstep) but I do like listening to songs with vocals that aren't English, especially Japanese or any kind of Asian pop music. I really like listening to German and Russian as well because they sound nice, and generally speaking I'll listen to anything that sounds nice and isn't country.

I'm also certain that the rest of the world is fine with listening to music that's not in their main language, with the biggest example being the massive success of Gangnam Style.

Sigur Ros is a band from Iceland, and they are also one of the most beautiful Post Rock bands of all time. Another band, that is of a little more recent, is Kairon; IRSE!, a band literally from the middle of nowhere, Finland that makes psychedelic shoegaze.

I couldn't find Ágætis byrjun (Sigur Ros' best album, and debatably one of the best albums of all time), so here is ( ), another great album by them.

And here is the link to Kairon; IRSE!'s bandcamp. There is not many vocals in their albums, however I thought they are pretty notable as they are from Finland, and have been gaining traction.

Last edited Feb 20, 2015 at 12:23PM EST

I have a collection of J-Pop songs that i pick just to listen on without understanding it. I usually like to hear them let my imagination flow. When i listen to foreign music, my mind will go to like a world building state where it will imagine characters and a setting that will follow the flow of the song. It helps me to listen while drawing or just day dreaming.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!