Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Suggested KYM Feature: Rule Reminder

Last posted Sep 04, 2011 at 12:17AM EDT. Added Aug 28, 2011 at 09:23AM EDT
18 posts from 14 users

After seeing the disappointing amount of deadpooled memes, I'd like to propose a new feature, if possible.
Now, we're all sick of seeing Brand New Members going onto the site to force single memes, so why not add to the submission process?
Now, I noticed the rule bar at the left of the screen. Now while that is very good, It's ineffective at preventing the occasional user from placing something stupid as an entry. Now, I know nothing of coding, but it would be beneficial to add another step or two. How would this work? Well…
STEP 1
User "RetardMan" decides that his clever picture is enough to be a meme. He wonders, Where do I put such an elegant display of my mastery of the fine art of the internet? He picks KnowYourMeme as an unfortunate platform.
STEP 2
He fills out the necessary forms to thrust his name into internet fame. Now, he adds his stupid picture into the database, but as he presses submit…
STEP 3
He is greeted by a message! "Hello, Brand New Member! We see that you are trying to submit a meme. Have you read Da Rules?" Now, if he clicks "Yes," it leads to STEP 4A, but if he clicks "No," STEP 4B.
STEP 4A
He submits his poor excuse for a meme and is instantly deadpooled. (OPTIONAL: Banned.)
STEP 4B
He is lead to the rules' page. If he notices the error in his ways, he doesn't submit it and KYM is that much cleaner. If not, STEP 4A.
Thoughts, anyone?

It's kind of pointless. They just don't want to read it. You can't force people to do it. Really, if they just find one image they want to upload, they should just upload it to Images, and not do an entire page for it.

If we made it so new members had to wait 1 hour after creating their account to make an entry it might help. A lot of people register, make a deadpool entry, and then never come back. This could make them either forget about the site and never make the entry or they would lurk for that time and learn the rules in the process. Of course there will always be people who try to submit single image entries no matter what we do to prevent it.

I think it would be a good idea to give them a reminder of the rules before submitting an entry. It might only prevent one or two of them from posting, but that's one or two fewer non-memes to deal with. Besides, they really can't defend their position when the rules were literally put in their face. I See no harm in doing it.
But I disagree with the insta-deadpool thing. That's a bit extreme.

If yes, STEP 4A
If no, TOO BAD STILL STEP 4A

I think a general reminder would be better suited, and it should be possible to have it stop appearing after someone has created a certain amount of editorships, say, three. The whole "insta-deadpool" thing wouldn't work well, because we have had brand new members make aweful pages for legitimate memes before.

Last edited Aug 28, 2011 at 05:06PM EDT

I like this idea, unless the person is a real idiot it keeps the submission pool from overflowing.

Also, I highly suggest we make Brand New Users unable to create new entries. Have them contribute their 30 or so items to get a Gold Membership before allowing them to create entries.

Who'd would have known that these fake articles would troll u so god damn hard make you upset, Hopefully no trolls will read this Hopefully this will help new members make the right choices. If they did not already take off, that is, but hey they can still use the face book accounts anyhow.

U know your feeding the trolls rite? Some people are still going to make bad articles.

Last edited Aug 29, 2011 at 01:59AM EDT

Critieria Blocking: Stops Brand Newfag Morons and lazy trolls (AKA, 95% of them).
Rule Reminding: Stops smart people from createing shit.
Banhammers and Deadpools: Stops trolls willing to jump the few extra feet to create shit entries.

With all three, Deadpool Kun can finally take days off.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Critieria Blocking: Stops Brand Newfag Morons and lazy trolls (AKA, 95% of them).
Rule Reminding: Stops smart people from createing shit.
Banhammers and Deadpools: Stops trolls willing to jump the few extra feet to create shit entries.

With all three, Deadpool Kun can finally take days off.

In my honest opinion, its all about easy going, but when some snobby person starts enforcing cock'n ball rules on people, what do you think is gonna happen? Its pretty damn obvious, I would turn around, and say this is too much effort. In the end, you are making more enemies than friends, and change opinions in a negative fashion, something you don't want, and lets face it, trolls are gonna troll, in anyway possible, if they gotta jump thru 20 hoops while typing shit in with their toes with a blindfold on, so be it. What results we end up with is a filter, that screws with smart, funny, and overall beneficial members to our community, and adds the down fall of KYM being trolls spamming accounts with those god damn proxies, and obviously getting right around this, its pretty simple.

If I was a troll I'd laugh my ass of right now.

Last edited Aug 29, 2011 at 05:06AM EDT

What if instead of letting Brand New Members create Deadpool entries and wasting space in the database, they must fill in an outline that would then be checked by a Mod. If they pass, then their entries are added to the Submission section; if not, it's only rejected and deleted without even creating an entry at all. Besides, this would encourage serious users to make a better first impression with their entries, adding more info, content and structure.

The point is, we don't need more crap at the Deadpooled section, why don't we clean up the Deadpooled entries from repeats and forced crap as well?

I know some of them are used as reminders of what's not a meme:
KFC
Endless Eight
iPhone Descendants

But, do we even need:
This?
Or this?
This…
Is…
USELESS!

Or this repeated entry?
…Twice
And Deadpooled clones
Made by the same user
We can delete them
Whitout anyone complaining!

Don't take his name in vain!

Last edited Aug 29, 2011 at 05:41AM EDT

Silver Chariot wrote:

What if instead of letting Brand New Members create Deadpool entries and wasting space in the database, they must fill in an outline that would then be checked by a Mod. If they pass, then their entries are added to the Submission section; if not, it's only rejected and deleted without even creating an entry at all. Besides, this would encourage serious users to make a better first impression with their entries, adding more info, content and structure.

The point is, we don't need more crap at the Deadpooled section, why don't we clean up the Deadpooled entries from repeats and forced crap as well?

I know some of them are used as reminders of what's not a meme:
KFC
Endless Eight
iPhone Descendants

But, do we even need:
This?
Or this?
This…
Is…
USELESS!

Or this repeated entry?
…Twice
And Deadpooled clones
Made by the same user
We can delete them
Whitout anyone complaining!

Don't take his name in vain!

^This.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I like this idea, unless the person is a real idiot it keeps the submission pool from overflowing.

Also, I highly suggest we make Brand New Users unable to create new entries. Have them contribute their 30 or so items to get a Gold Membership before allowing them to create entries.

Hasn't this been discussed a billion times before? This discourages people from submitting potentially good articles to the site. I can specifically remember many times where mods have commented something along the lines of "this is why we allow new members to make submissions", because they were well-written and were about note-worthy things.

tl;dr No.

Yeah… what Phillip J Fry said.

I do agree there's a distinction to be made between deadpooled for lack of notability vs. deadpooled because of invalid submission (including spam). I'm removing a few of the entries @SilverChariot listed from public view, like KFC / iPad.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!