Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,697 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

Deadpool Issue

Last posted Mar 12, 2012 at 06:17PM EDT. Added Feb 16, 2012 at 01:29PM EST
15 posts from 11 users

So I wanted to bring up the topic of the deadpool section because it doesn't seem to be serving its purpose of discouraging selfpromoted memes. I know deadpool is also home to entries that aren't quite memes or failed as being a meme, but that number seems to be dwindleing. Right now there are an overflow of entries that are just plain anoying. For example:

Dog – "…I created this as sorta an anti-meme."

how it feels like – "I made it"

bitch – "…"

my little pony – "how my little pony can be viewed."

wtf baby ponies – "…there’s a meme that hasnt been discovered yet…it comes to my mind to make a meme out of it."
(note: this is a popular recation image, it's just the article write up that is anoying. also it's not a meme.)

I could go on and on with things like angry asian and queer, but the list would be far too long. There are some ok things that belong in deadpool (i think coming out of the stable, fast and furious, and fyi i am a spy belong in deadpool) but some of this other junk needs to be cleared out or something. If you try and do a search for "my little pony" in the kym search bar the first thing that comes up are deadpooled entries. More specifically the my little pony mentioned above is the first entry that pops up and it has absolutely no information at all except some troll's opinions on bronies. Something needs to be changed with this system.

tl;dr: Deadpool seems like a broken system.

Last edited Feb 16, 2012 at 01:33PM EST

Well, maybe we could create another category. We move all the entries by people who do not understand the definition of meme, or all the entries that are not in fact a meme, to that category.
Deadpooling would then be confined simply to things that we feel are memes, but the articles are not of sufficient quality to even consider confirming.

Edit: I don't think its a good idea to get rid of Brand New Member's ability to create new entries, but the solution above gives us the possibility of saving server space by just deleting everything that is irredeemable.

Last edited Feb 16, 2012 at 02:06PM EST

I'm pretty sure we keep the deadpooled objects as a reminder of the person who submitted it to not do the action again.

But if the content is obscenely bad, more than often will the entry be deleted.

Last edited Feb 17, 2012 at 02:51AM EST

God i hate how Brand New Members keep posting bad enterys about useless stuff, and it happens almost every day! There must be a rule that you can make a entery unless if you joined a month.

I'm sure someone else has already thought of this, but maybe every entry should start in the Deadpool until enough people make a case for it to be "brought out."

Apply some bottom-up / post test style process to it; if nothing starts as a meme then why do things start in a neutrally-defined way (submission)? It should be win / fail… no middle ground.

"it's not a meme" – until it is a meme.

Like i said in an earlier thread, i think mods should look over entries before they are submitted.I know the argument is that "people should be able to see the entries before they are hidden", but 1. most never get deleted, 2.that only encourages trolls to post more entries, 3. if people react to the trolls, it's giving them what the want and 4. it stops proper entries from getting the spotlight and discourages new members who actually want to make a proper entry. I've seen this at work on other sites, and it makes going on the site alot more enjoyable.

BrawlerEX wrote:

God i hate how Brand New Members keep posting bad enterys about useless stuff, and it happens almost every day! There must be a rule that you can make a entery unless if you joined a month.

"God, I hate how Brand New Members keep posting bad entries about useless stuff. It happens almost every day! There must be a rule that you can't post an entry unless you have had an account for a month.

Also, the Age Limit idea has already been shot down, because it could discourage users from posting a useful entry.

I'm getting tired of these "regular members" who keep saying that BNMs are making their own memes. From time to time BNMs will create good entries for memes. You have to think: this is a site about memes, yes. And a large perfect of new users will create worthless entries, yes. But there are the exceptions of that one random user that will find something before any of us did and then it becomes one of the largest standing memes.

Stop complaining about it. There's nothing you can do. You aren't even the ones who have to worry about bad entries, it's the moderators. They'll figure out the best way for everyone.

This is a dictatorship, not a democracy.

Kalmo wrote:

I'm getting tired of these "regular members" who keep saying that BNMs are making their own memes. From time to time BNMs will create good entries for memes. You have to think: this is a site about memes, yes. And a large perfect of new users will create worthless entries, yes. But there are the exceptions of that one random user that will find something before any of us did and then it becomes one of the largest standing memes.

Stop complaining about it. There's nothing you can do. You aren't even the ones who have to worry about bad entries, it's the moderators. They'll figure out the best way for everyone.

This is a dictatorship, not a democracy.

^This.

If you really think Brand New Members suck that much, go proof you can do it better yourself.

Here's an image from Cyber6x posted in another thread:

That's a list of Brand New Members who had more influence on this site than most people who complain about them.

That image is one of the best ones I've ever seen.

I get annoyed by these entries too sometimes but we all can't cover the entire internet. As that picture shows, people who don't always frequent KYM sometimes have the ability to spot a meme before any of us do.

If that means deadpooling a bunch of HAY GUIEZ I MADE THIS LOL entries than whatever nbd

tl;dr

Last edited Mar 12, 2012 at 12:39PM EDT

FudgeGruck wrote:

"God, I hate how Brand New Members keep posting bad entries about useless stuff. It happens almost every day! There must be a rule that you can't post an entry unless you have had an account for a month.

Also, the Age Limit idea has already been shot down, because it could discourage users from posting a useful entry.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!