Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

14,430 total conversations in 1,041 threads

+ New Thread

Username URL trouble

Last posted Mar 24, 2012 at 05:34PM EDT. Added Mar 24, 2012 at 03:43PM EDT
5 posts from 3 users

So, earlier today, I changed by display name to ‘Root²’ as a joke, and my URL just stayed the same – no problems.

But when I then changed it back to just ‘Root’, my URL is suddenly /users/root--3 ,and /users/root doesn’t even exist.

One word: dafuq?

Mar 24, 2012 at 03:43PM EDT

The server realized that it had had a user of the named root before, so since you changed it back, it also changed your URL.

This is so that if someone changes their name, other people can’t switch their name to the first and have the URL be exactly the same.

I believe all your past URLs direct to your current profile.

tl;dr: it’s so people can’t impersonate you.

Mar 24, 2012 at 04:19PM EDT

Chris wrote:

The server realized that it had had a user of the named root before, so since you changed it back, it also changed your URL.

This is so that if someone changes their name, other people can’t switch their name to the first and have the URL be exactly the same.

I believe all your past URLs direct to your current profile.

tl;dr: it’s so people can’t impersonate you.

As I said, there is no /users/root. There is, however, a /users/root--2 , who registered today.

Mar 24, 2012 at 04:30PM EDT

It doesn’t let you go back to your previous name because it doesn’t differentiate between people who had a name previously and people who are just changing it to that.

Mar 24, 2012 at 04:41PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!