Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Sticky Sticky Featured Featured
Guide for making entries

Last posted Aug 30, 2023 at 02:10AM EDT. Added Jun 08, 2012 at 10:59PM EDT
29 posts from 20 users

I've had a talk with Amanda, and I decided to make a thread detailing what exactly should go into an entry. This took me ages to write, so I hope you like it. Feel free to mention anything I have missed. I will discuss the different styles for the different categories and how they are to be set out. First though, I'll mention what all entries should have:

Disclaimer

If you need to make a disclaimer, the best thing to do is make an Editors note at the top of the entry. To do that use bold text (put a * on either side) and end on line break

when starting entry

Although not needed, I find it’s always best to start of an entry with a picture or a video, just to give a rough idea what it's about. For a site or even a subculture, it's best to use the logo of the thing in question, for a person entry use a picture of said person, for a meme, use one of the derivative images or videos (only one though). Event entries don't generally need an opening picture, so don't include one.

Search Interest

Search interest is a good way to show how popular something is and should only be used if applicable. It's pretty pointless just writing "not applicable yet" so leave it out until available. To find search interest, use Google Insights

External References

external links are required for anything thats not on kym. for example, if you mention a youtube account, make a reference to their channel at the bottom of the entry. For info on how to do this, check out the KYM style guide

I'm not going to explain textiles or stuff like that here, so if you want to know about that, check out these:
KYMdb style guide
KYM guide to textile
Video embedding tips and tricks

Now for a breakdown on setting out the different categories:

Last edited Sep 02, 2016 at 04:59PM EDT

Memes

What can I say? It’s what the site was made for, 'nuff said. Here’s how to make a meme entry

About

Here you give a rough overview about what the meme is. Don’t go into much detail, save that for the rest of the entry, but don’t make it too simple

Origin

here, explain the roots of the meme. If it’s based off something like with my body is ready , explain about that before explaining the original, defining derivative. If it is an original concept like GentleMentleMan only explain the original derivative.

Spread

Here, explain what happened afterwards. Where was it referenced? If applicable, what were the next few derivatives?

Notable Examples

Here, show a couple of derivatives of the meme, and even the style they’re presented. For more info on how to do this, check out the guide to textile in the above post

Last edited Sep 02, 2016 at 04:58PM EDT

Event

Event entries are to explain events that have made a big impact on the internet, such as hackings and other events.

Overview

Similar to about, this is the place to give a brief explanation to what the event is about, without going into too much detail

Background

This is pretty much the origin of event entries. Explain what happened and maybe even who was involved

Development

Here is the place to explain how the online community reacted. Were the reactions positive or negative? Did anything spawn from it? Did anything else come of it?

Notable deriatives

If something did spawn from it this is the place to show deriatives of it. For more help see the section in the above post

People

There are certain people who have made a huge impact to the internet at large, Nicolas cage, Gabe Newell, Reggie Fils-Aime and numerous Youtube celebrities. This category is to show what effect they have made to the internet. This category however, is strictly for people who are internet relevant. People like Simon cowell, and other famous people who are not internet relevant should not have an entry made for them.

About

Here, explain who exactly this person is by giving a brief overview

Online history

Here, explain What Impact this person made to the online community. What sites are they popular on? Have they made any specific impacts on sites (e.g. the Nic Cage entry mentions a particular ebay auction relevant to that person)?

Here, try to explain what this person is known for. A good example of this is this section on the Moot

Personal life

Here give a brief explanation on their life, only mentioning big things (when they were born, career). As I said, unless its Internet related, try to keep it as brief and relevant as possible-We aren’t Wikipedia after all!

Sites

There are numerous sites out there that have helped shape the internet into what it is now, from 4chan to (face it) 9gag. As with people entries, try to keep it related to impact on the internet. While sites like Albino Blacksheep have a large impact on internet culture, sites like The Nintendo official site do not.

About

Here Briefly explain what the site is and what is on it. Save everything else for later

History

Here, explain the history of the site. (When the site began, who started it, what it was like when it started up and how it has evolved.)

Traffic

Here, show the Traffic the site gets. Do this by using Quantcast

%{font-size:18pt}Features %

Basically, explain the features of the site such as how it works, what you can do on it etc.

Highlights

Here, pretty much mention the things that have become popular through the site. For example with 4chan, Different internet stars (boxxy, Allison Harvard, jessi slaughter), Anonymous, Pedobear and LOLcats could be considered it’s highlights.

Subcultures

Subcultures can be a bit tricky to recognise. As RandomMan has told me (a lot) a fandom doesn’t necessarily make a subculture (Fandom =/= Subculture) nor should it be made to house existing memes. A subculture, like people and sites, should have made a large impact to the internet to warrant an entry, as well as having fairly large sub-memes, some of which don’t have an entry on the site already, in which they should have a mention in the sub-meme section (which I will get to in a minute)

About

Here you briefly (what a shock) explain what the subculture is about. Basically the same as I’ve said before.

History

As always, here is the spot to give background information on the subculture, regarding when it was invented, when it first became notable on the internet etc.

Reception

Again, here is the spot to explain how people reacted to it. However, try to stay clear of going into detail about the fandom for now

Impact

Things like MLP and Team fortress 2 have had a huge impact to the internet. Here is the place to explain just how the subculture had affected the online community, mentioning certain sites that have been affected by it

Fandom

Here is the spot to mention what the subcultures community is like, and how they have helped to spread the subculture. Be sure to mention their popularity on the sites you mentioned in the impact section. If applicable, be sure to show Fan art and Cosplay related to the fandom

Sub-memes

Here list the different memes the subculture has spawned, followed by a small explanation for each. Try to mention memes that do not have an entry as well.

Last edited Sep 02, 2016 at 04:59PM EDT

Thanks guys! here are the basic guidelines for what every entry should include in a shorter version:

Meme: About
Origin
Spread
Notables
Search Interest
Ext. References

Event: Overview
Background
Development
Notables
Search Interest
Ext. References

Person: About
Online History
Search Interest
Ext References

Site: About
History
Traffic
Features
Highlights
Search Interest
Ext References

Subculture: About
History
Reception
Impact
Fandom
Search Interest
Ext References

The different sections should be roughly in that order as well.

Last edited Jun 09, 2012 at 04:12AM EDT

Hey. What do you think of starting up a topic where newer members (like me) can ask moderators and/or more experienced members for advice on improving articles that they've written? I feel like a lot of otherwise-decent or great articles aren't getting confirmed simply because they just need that little extra push to get them over the top – a grammar check here, a reformatting there… Anyways, I was thinking of starting it myself, but figured that I should run it past the site's bigshots first (there isn't much point to it if it doesn't get much traffic…)

Luigifan wrote:

Hey. What do you think of starting up a topic where newer members (like me) can ask moderators and/or more experienced members for advice on improving articles that they've written? I feel like a lot of otherwise-decent or great articles aren't getting confirmed simply because they just need that little extra push to get them over the top – a grammar check here, a reformatting there… Anyways, I was thinking of starting it myself, but figured that I should run it past the site's bigshots first (there isn't much point to it if it doesn't get much traffic…)

We do already have a thread similar to that, but it's fallen into disrepair. If you want, I can take over running it if people need it.

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have headers for ships when it comes to Subculture entries? Technically they're memes, but since a considerable amount of the large fandoms online have at least one I think ships deserve to have their own headers instead of being placed beneath the sub-memes section of the page, if ever that's even applicable.

Onion Syrup wrote:

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have headers for ships when it comes to Subculture entries? Technically they're memes, but since a considerable amount of the large fandoms online have at least one I think ships deserve to have their own headers instead of being placed beneath the sub-memes section of the page, if ever that's even applicable.

If they are big enough or a big part on the fandom add it. For example, I did it for the Avatar entry, because its ship wars are pretty well-known.

Last edited May 14, 2015 at 02:49PM EDT

Onion Syrup wrote:

There are even a couple of entries for ships, like Science Bros.

Shipping is a natural big part of any fandom, so I say that they deserve a mention yes. If necessary you can focus on the biggest OTPs as well with the headers.

Mangy Black Sheep wrote:

How do you put the Table of Contents in a box like in the Gamergate entry?

Unless it's an extended entry like the GG or MLP entry it isn't necessary, however I can post the raw code from the GG entry if you want. What entry are you planning to use it for?

LNH wrote:

Unless it's an extended entry like the GG or MLP entry it isn't necessary, however I can post the raw code from the GG entry if you want. What entry are you planning to use it for?

Considering its length, I was thinking about adding a Table of Contents to this entry but considering the comparative lengths of the entries you just mentioned, it probably is unnecessary.

Though I still want to know how to make the box.

kkirby999 wrote:

i keep getting this error that says All types must have the same category as this entry.

what am i doing wrong?

I had the same problem. I selected a type in one category and then selected another type in another category. you need to untick on the types you ticked.

Word Up! You must login or signup first!