Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,696 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
How to Get Karma

Last posted Jul 10, 2012 at 06:58PM EDT. Added Jul 10, 2012 at 09:16AM EDT
7 posts from 5 users

Some of us new members are a little confused about how to get karma. I heard that its from commenting, but even if some of my comments dont get any thumbs up or thumbs down, my karma still goes up a little. I know Im a newish member of KYM, and that I probably shouldnt be an OP yet, but I was just wondering if you guys know the EXACT ways to get karma. Is it boosted if your forum posts get +1'd? Ive googled this question but was sadly unable to find a good answer.

Alex>_> wrote:

Simply put, you obtain karma from getting +1 in the forums…

Like what I did right there and +1'd you.

Okay, Thank you. I was wondering about that, just because my karma randomly just keeps going up and down.

And just like what I did to you! :D

Last edited Jul 10, 2012 at 09:25AM EDT

Comments and images don't get you karma, karma is only infuenced by your forum posts.

And please don't try to boost it, it will most likely result in the opposite effect.

Last edited Jul 10, 2012 at 09:34AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Comments and images don't get you karma, karma is only infuenced by your forum posts.

And please don't try to boost it, it will most likely result in the opposite effect.

Yeah, I figure that if I comment normally and sound like I know what Im talking about, then I will have less of a chance in being downvoted.

How to avoid Negative Karma
~Follow the Rules (Duh).
~Follow the Damn Rules
~When voicing an unpopular opinion, explain why you think that way and be nice about it. Rubbing it in peoples faces constantly will get you downvoted.
~Don't force a derailment.
~Don't do to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you. Seriously, think about your post for a bit before posting. Will this offend anyone?
~And Lastly, do not ask for Karma. You will only get the Negative Kind.

How to gain Positive Karma (Casually)
~Well timed reaction faces, images, responses, references will gain you karma gradually. Though timing is key, there is so many opportunities to do this you can oftentimes do this by accident.
~Start a new, fresh topic that has potential for a good/fun conversation.
~Giving an explanation to your opinion rather than just your opinion.

How to gain Positive Karma (Actively)
~Use your creative skills to make something for the website. Whether it be a Graphic for the Family Photo or Shipping Thread or your own Drawing Thread. Likewise, participating in large community projects has potential for large Karma Generation.

Last edited Jul 10, 2012 at 01:03PM EDT

Adding on to Natsuru's list:
~Puns and wordplay tend to get a ton of karma without much effort.
~Being insightful (and not boring) in a TL;DR
~Post in a new Pony General thread. People are generally extremely karma-happy on the first page, and a single image can net you 10+ karma (hehehe).
~Just being generally awesome, chill, and funny. Like RandomMan.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!