Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

30-second comment/forum post limit

Last posted Sep 02, 2012 at 03:57PM EDT. Added Aug 30, 2012 at 10:36PM EDT
13 posts from 9 users

Why does it exist? No, it doesn't necessarily annoy me, I just don't quite know the purpose of it. Same goes for the 15-minute entry creation limit. Does it have something to do with spam, or is it a different reason, because it must serve some purpose.

Trollkeeper wrote:

I think maybe I wasn't quite clear in my original post. I meant, Why is it that you can only create one comment/forum post every 30 seconds? Thanks, however, I was sort of wondering about that too.

It's so you cannot spam or flood that quickly. I'm not sure, but I think the 30 sec count resets every time you try and post, so a spambot designed to infinitely repost will only manage to make 1 post before being locked out.

I think the thing is that you'd really have no point to post in the forums that quickly. Maybe you guys are quicker than me, but I take more than thirty seconds to think about and post what I'm going to say.

As for comments, you most certainly don't have to be as lengthy. But I don't see how annoying waiting for 30 seconds is compared to dealing with potential spammers. (I think it also serves as a way to make people who have the attention span the length of a fingernail clipping think before they post.)

Is that sufficient? Do any admins know the origins of that restriction?

The only one that really bothers me is the throttle for image uploading.

There are times in which I'm trying to get a bunch of images uploaded fast and I can't get it done fast because "You have to wait X seconds before loading another image"

I know that's to keep spammers out, but I think that one should be lifted, if not for everyone, for some people.

Before any other conversation goes on, I really think people making suggestions here should examine what they're saying:

"I am annoyed, because I have to wait one half of a minute before doing something on KYM."

There comes a time when you should consider being patient. In fact, it's almost annoys me to make the suggestion to be patient, because I'm not sure waiting for thirty seconds for anything actually requires patience. Please consider what you are asking and if the inconvenience (considering the reason the time limits were established) outweighs its purpose.

If you believe you still have a valid complaint, then let's continue.

Now as for making that available for some users and not for others, then that would basically be making some users semi-mods. The administrators are busy and can't give people powers as needed. There are several users who have shown themselves to be decent moderators over a few months time, but administrators have to go through their histories and ask around to make sure that they can work with those responsibilities.

Also, there would have to be unique coding for users without the restriction…for every user that wanted the restriction lifted.

And like we've all seen, once there is the ability to get special powers of any sort, people begin to ask questions like "How do I get to be a mod? Why was this person chosen as a mod? Why wasn't I chosen to be a mod? Do you think I'd be a good mod?"

You'd have the same questions with those who don't have those abilities. I think just waiting is simpler, and I don't see it as a terrible inconvenience.

There's also the new argument "Well, if some users can post images without a time limit, then why do all users have to wait to make consecutive comments?" I think you could argue that media is different than one's opinion, but I would disagree. Discussing memes, whether or not they're notable, and their spread is just as important to the culture of KYM and its purpose.

However, I still fail to see how KYM's ability to fulfill its mission is hindered by the time limit, and I don't think it outweighs the problems that come with not having a time limit.

Verbose wrote:

And like we’ve all seen, once there is the ability to get special powers of any sort, people begin to ask questions like “How do I get to be a mod? Why was this person chosen as a mod? Why wasn’t I chosen to be a mod? Do you think I’d be a good mod?”

Too often.

Not even mentioning the users people often think would make good mods. The logic they're using is "I like him, therefore he should be a mod" 90% of the time.

However, I still fail to see how KYM’s ability to fulfill its mission is hindered by the time limit, and I don’t think it outweighs the problems that come with not having a time limit.

I also don't see what we would obtain from removing it. You often see people complain when users double post on the forum. Removing this time limit would make it a lot easier to double post.

And when do you actually come across the time limit? The only scenario I can think of where the time limit may annoy you is when you want to post two very small (and most likely pointless) messages on 2 entries/walls/threads at the same time. If one of the two comments contained a bit more text and/or effort, you would most likely already surpass the 30 second limit.

For those very rare moments you actually get the 30 second pop-up, I don't see why it should be removed. It's a great way to block spamming pointless messages (by trolls).

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 02:27PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

Before any other conversation goes on, I really think people making suggestions here should examine what they're saying:

"I am annoyed, because I have to wait one half of a minute before doing something on KYM."

There comes a time when you should consider being patient. In fact, it's almost annoys me to make the suggestion to be patient, because I'm not sure waiting for thirty seconds for anything actually requires patience. Please consider what you are asking and if the inconvenience (considering the reason the time limits were established) outweighs its purpose.

If you believe you still have a valid complaint, then let's continue.

Now as for making that available for some users and not for others, then that would basically be making some users semi-mods. The administrators are busy and can't give people powers as needed. There are several users who have shown themselves to be decent moderators over a few months time, but administrators have to go through their histories and ask around to make sure that they can work with those responsibilities.

Also, there would have to be unique coding for users without the restriction…for every user that wanted the restriction lifted.

And like we've all seen, once there is the ability to get special powers of any sort, people begin to ask questions like "How do I get to be a mod? Why was this person chosen as a mod? Why wasn't I chosen to be a mod? Do you think I'd be a good mod?"

You'd have the same questions with those who don't have those abilities. I think just waiting is simpler, and I don't see it as a terrible inconvenience.

There's also the new argument "Well, if some users can post images without a time limit, then why do all users have to wait to make consecutive comments?" I think you could argue that media is different than one's opinion, but I would disagree. Discussing memes, whether or not they're notable, and their spread is just as important to the culture of KYM and its purpose.

However, I still fail to see how KYM's ability to fulfill its mission is hindered by the time limit, and I don't think it outweighs the problems that come with not having a time limit.

Well, it doesn't annoy me at all. I just wanted to know why it was there.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!