Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,696 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

Comments section never loads for me

Last posted Nov 25, 2012 at 03:37PM EST. Added Nov 23, 2012 at 12:51AM EST
10 posts from 7 users

I've been experiencing this issue for a few months, and I'm not sure what might have happened to cause it. For some reason, on my Windows 7 desktop PC, the Comments section of KYM entries/images/videos never loads no matter how long I wait – it only ever shows the red loading bars. The Facebook Comments and Top Comments sections don't have this problem, only the regular Comments section does. I've tried using Firefox, Chrome, and IE, and the issue is identical in all of them. If I use my laptop (also running Windows 7) on the same internet connection, it's able to load the Comments section just fine.

Has anyone else encountered this before? What might be causing this issue? Could it have something to do with how the Windows firewall is set up? I haven't seen the issue on any other sites besides KYM.

In the past I have had problems loading and posting in the comments section due to a slow connection, but only that. (Also had trouble posting in comments via the website's secret anti-domain block backups, but that is a different story all together)

However, since you have a system that works I believe you can simply just compare the two setups and can work from there.

Is Javascript turned off in your browser or blocked by a plugin like Noscript? I have to make an exception for this site to make stuff work.

As for the loading bars and waiting, it's common malpractice on the web to show a loading image when nothing is being loaded, and waiting will do nothing more than loop the animation.

Ann Hiro wrote:

IE?
Chrome?
Firefox?
Did you attempt the smart car of Internet browsers? Opera?

Just now did a fresh vanilla install of Opera, having never installed it previously. It's giving the exact same result. So it's definitely something that applies system-wide, not something caused by an individual browser's configuration.

Anyone here use Microsoft Security Essentials? I just installed that a few months ago, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it… although the issue still occurs when I turn real-time protection off, so I would think it unlikely.

I don't know much about computers, but my really old desktop won't load comments (I haven't used it in months) but my laptop and netbook will load them just fine.

Do you have an ad blocker running? Not to take away from KYM, but there are a lot of taxing ads on this site. I've had stuff stop running altogether on KYM pages without the ad blocker when my computer is doing a lot of things at once, but disabling the ads helps with that.

Have you given that shot yet? Perhaps one computer is "more powerful" (for lack of a more accurate term) than the other. I know it's something new, and you probably didn't have that problem before, but it can't hurt to try.

Sounds like a javascript problem to me. You may need to make sure it's on, or make exceptions on your script blocker, if you're running one. Or maybe you need to update Java.

Last edited Nov 24, 2012 at 02:22AM EST

Beatfox wrote:

Just now did a fresh vanilla install of Opera, having never installed it previously. It's giving the exact same result. So it's definitely something that applies system-wide, not something caused by an individual browser's configuration.

Anyone here use Microsoft Security Essentials? I just installed that a few months ago, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it… although the issue still occurs when I turn real-time protection off, so I would think it unlikely.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and have no trouble. I think your problem is someplace else.

Edit: Also, when I suggested you cross check your configurations, I didn't just mean for your browsers. Start checking other programs associated with the internet or your tech specs if that helps any.

Last edited Nov 24, 2012 at 01:47PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

It's a Javascript problem. Upate Javascript to the latest version.

Protip: Java and Javascript are 2 different things.

Not sure what you mean? The JavaScript interpreter is something that's built into a specific browser, not something you can update independently like Java. My browsers are already up-to-date.

For what it's worth, I did notice that my Java runtime was not current, so I updated that and rebooted on the off-chance that that might make a difference (which it didn't, unfortunately).

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!