Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Spoiler Censor

Last posted Aug 12, 2013 at 09:50PM EDT. Added Aug 09, 2013 at 01:51AM EDT
6 posts from 6 users

So I was going through the Attack on Titan gallery and came across this. A NSFW censor isn't really appropriate here, but given it was a spoiler from the recent issue in Japan, I'm wondering if we would need a spoiler variant of the NSFW censor for issues like these?

This would be a pretty good idea. For example, a good chunk of the Evangelion gallery is tagged NSFW for spoilers, and in my opinion, if a gallery is tagging SFW (but spoiling) content with NSFW tags more than it tags actual NSFW content with NSFW tags, it can become confusing and may lead to inadvertent looking at of both spoiling things and NSFW content.

I'd also suggest not making the spoiler tag(s) red or blue, since the NSFW tags already use those colors. Maybe green and/ or yellow?

I'll just repost what I posted in a previous thread asking this:

I’ll most likely disagree. Our research focus doesn’t center around the shows themselves, but instead more to their online following and reception. Such a service is more necessary for fandom-specific websites and blogs that update each time a new episode of that specific show is released.

Moderators and users aim towards some sort of dignity on the forum when it comes to spoilers, and will ask others to do the same. But spoilers on the forum are based on a html code which you can change the title of, so it’s not necessary as users can point out it’s a spoiler themselves.

Then there’s also the issue that those spoilers need to be removed manually once a set period has passed, such as the airing of the episode it was a spoiler of or when the anime caught up to that point of the manga. This is something I doubt all users will do. There might be a way to make them auto-remove after a fixed time (like a week), but I don’t know how much trouble that is with coding. And there are probably more important things to code than such a system.

Don’t worry, it’s a good idea, and I can understand the reason behind it. If it’s a case many users find an issue, then sure, I’ll support it. But outside of the forum I simply don’t often see spoilers being an issue to users. Our articles and image galleries aren’t exactly the first place people go to when they want to discuss new episodes of their shows.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!