Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

14,458 total conversations in 1,045 threads

+ New Thread

Uploading the same image to multiple entries?

Last posted Jan 09, 2014 at 06:00PM EST. Added Dec 29, 2013 at 01:48AM EST
6 posts from 5 users

I’ve been wanting this to be a feature pretty much since I first visited this site, but I’ve never had a strong enough example in my favor, until now. KungFuCthulhu uploaded the same image to 4 different galleries.

It belongs in all of these galleries, but it seems a bit much to have to upload it 4 times one after another.
My suggestion is that we have at least 2 entries the same image can be in, although this example shows that it can be as much as 4 if necessary. I don’t know who does all the formatting and whatnot on this site, but this is just my 2 cents. Is my suggestion a possibility?

Dec 29, 2013 at 01:48AM EST

I’ve seen a few rare images listed under different memes (with the same comments, votes, etc.) but it looks to me like some secret backend admin thing I have no understanding of. (And if it’s only available to a few people with those powers, that would be why it rarely happens).

I also think it’s silly to have the same image reuploaded different times just to be listed under different memes’ galleries. It takes up more server space, gallery space, and you have different sets of votes and comments. For example, someone might ask for a source and receive one in one instance of the image while in the other upload people are still asking the same question. Not to mention the uploaders needing to reupload things under whatever they fit under. I hate doing this, so I usually just pick the most fitting gallery and tag the other memes involved (sucks for the other ones).

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:27PM EST

That’s just what he does. Kung Fu Cthulu just really likes uploading appropriate images by the tons to every gallery that needs it and he doesn’t get any money for it, so he’s got that going for him, which is nice.

This is a database, if something is relevant to a meme and is not against the guidelines, it should be posted.

Jan 07, 2014 at 10:50PM EST

What I (and what I understand Jack the Dipper) mean is not that Kung Fu Cthulu shouldn’t be doing that, but that it would be nice to have functionality available to users to upload an image once and be able to link it to multiple meme galleries from the upload page instead of having to actually reupload it multiple separate times under each gallery. :)

Jan 08, 2014 at 07:37PM EST

It’s an option that has been talked about before. I can suggest it to the mod team, but I have a feeling that it might be extremely difficult to implement as there is more than likely no backbone for it in the site’s infrastructure.

Last edited Jan 08, 2014 at 09:25PM EST
Jan 08, 2014 at 09:25PM EST

If someone wasn’t going to mention this, I was going to soon. I can understand uploading the same thing to multiple galleries, but personally clone-posting irks me, especially when the same image can show up twice in the top of the Trending Images gallery (it’s even going on right now, with the same image near the top, both being uploaded to Tumblr and Doge).

I would just suggest that if users want to post to multiple galleries, instead choose the best-fitting gallery and then tag it appropriately for the other galleries.. At least for now, when the only other option is clone-posting.

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:00PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!