Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,697 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

New meme category

Last posted Mar 30, 2010 at 03:48PM EDT. Added Mar 24, 2010 at 02:00PM EDT
12 posts from 9 users

IRL memes need some sort of recognition. They leak into internet culture so often that not including them on a site that documents memes is a real problem. I'm tired of seeing thoughtful, well-organized entries Deadpooled just because they originated IRL or some such. I know we were originally created to document internet phenomena only, but as long as the meme in question is significant online as well it needs to be acknowledged.

Therefore, I suggest a new meme category: IRL Memes.

I guess it would be alright, problem is though this site is specifically for internet memes.

Top of the page says it all: "The Rocketboom Institute For Internet Studies", so i'd say the way the site is now its a big no. But if the admins/site staff were to come out and say they want to expand it to all memes and not just online culture then this would work.

Mustaches throughout written history: no.
Trends in styles of pants as represented through radio: no.
Gameplay stiles of the late 90's: no.
Common slang terms of Alaskan trout fisherman: no.
This is why we don't want to begin to cover memes that are not relevant to Internet Culture. The planet is full of an endless array of cultures and sociological trends, which contain many ideas that are imitated from one person to the next, improved upon, influenced the creation of something else, etc. Memes are everywhere and come in call kinds of shapes and sizes.

But we document memes that spread because of the Internet. In order to cover EVERY meme, we would need WAY more people, and an entirely different approach. That's why I prefer to keep meme entries VERY specific, and never based on too general of a concept.

People need to stop throwing around this "IRL meme" term. How is watching TV more "real life" than online interactions? The thing that TV-related memes less interesting is the fact that it's a one-way method of communication, very few people delivering a message to millions, and there's really no mystery as to WHY a meme spreads through TV.

Pants on the Ground, I would argue, didn't really have a very significant impact on the Internet. It's basically over and done with. It was something that people became familiar with through TV, then talked about and remixed online. In my opinion, it was slightly more interesting than the weather.

Even if it died quick, or is uninteresting doesn't deny its meme status. Only if it was shown out of the context of the original skit can it really be considered an internet meme, which is what I'm worried about.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!