Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,697 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

Meme categories?

Last posted Aug 04, 2010 at 08:32PM EDT. Added Aug 02, 2010 at 12:19PM EDT
6 posts from 5 users

I had a suggestion that might be useful, or it might be another annoying bit of complication that nobody is interested in but myself.

I've always liked the way ED has their memes arranged by categories. Does anyone else think it might be good or even useful to have a set of categories for memes? One of the things that might be useful with this is that there are a number of memes in the submission queue that everyone knows are memes, but haven't been confirmed because they aren't quite epic enough. Such memes could be confirmed, but to a lower-level category.

Does that make sense or is it too early in the morning and I'm babbling?

@Brucker, yeup makes sense. As Watcher & RG pointed out, meme categories are being worked on and will be updated in due time! For now, here is one of the earlier discussion threads re: categories from last year.

I think those are good, and maybe this doesn't so much need more discussion, but I'm thinking of the sort of classification that ED uses (or at least I think they used to…) where some memes are always good, some used to be good but are played out, and some are no longer used but have a sort of nostalgic value that allows them to pop up now and again. Is that making any sense?

For instance, the Blasphemy Challenge entry I did is (in my opinion) a meme, but one that was arguably astroturfed, and is definitely played out by now. I don't know that it will ever be confirmed, but even if it does, it seems like it belongs in a separate echelon somehow for those reasons.

Last edited Aug 03, 2010 at 05:45PM EDT

Bump for great justice. Always has been an awesome idea, always will be

In the meantime -- tags + search are a ghetto classification system. If you edit any articles, please make sure it (a) has a good # of tags (b) they are semantic/relevant/similar to other tags and categories we want.

e.g. "slang", "japan", "image macro", "image" are all good tags. "Funny" is maybe an OK tag (if its funny -- vs. say, "cruel") -- "lol" is not

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!