Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,691 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

It's been awhile

Last posted Sep 16, 2010 at 04:53PM EDT. Added Sep 12, 2010 at 02:51PM EDT
25 posts from 13 users

Oh, and no, the Smugleaf entry is never going to be confirmed. Why?

Because I'M EDITING IT.

AND THE ENTRIES I EDIT NEVAR GET CONFURMED. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

>:D

Last edited Sep 12, 2010 at 03:34PM EDT

@Adam
Seriously, could you consider that the staff has more than KYM on their minds?
Chris Menning writes scripts for 4 (Or was it more?) Rocketboom shows. Kenyatta Cheese produces the shows. Andrew Baron is CEO. (But is probably reading this thread anyway) Jamie isn't part of Rocketboom and now works for Bubble Labs, and works on FATlab. Greg Leuch is doing development for Magma, and FATlab. Barry doesn't even work on KYM. Ellie/Patrick/Mike have to host, and do other Rocketboom work. Mike isn't even an admin yet, and I don't think Patrick has an account. AJ likely has other responsibilities, Olivia works in design, Amanda B. has other responsibilities.

That just leaves Brad Kim.
And the reason he's not here all day to take care of every meme entry is because he probably has other Rocketboom duty.

Of course, they have more important things to do than running 24H/24 that website. You know, like…. working to earn some money, because you know, they don't earn anything with the website itself huh.
If they were to listen to/read every comment (either made by regular users or newcomers like you kirstalwaters, who come here just to troll), they couldn't possibly do their job here right.

Last edited Sep 13, 2010 at 03:17AM EDT

"Listen" is different that "read", Toms. I get the feeling that they don't even do THAT. Well there's nothing we can do unless someone completely devoted to the site with limited other outside activities is made a a mod.

[…]unless someone completely devoted to the site with limited other outside activities is made a a mod.

I correspond to that description even If I try to cure myself.
I think I've already said that but I don't mind saying it again for the few new users that can read this :

Entry mods like me are present on a regular basis to monitor the entries. We have the power to delete, deadpool, put back into submission or confirm entries BUT we often (if not much of the time) do the first two commands.
Why, you may ask ? Because we don't have the lawfulness to confirm things on our own, unless we get approval from above.
Mods are here to help clean-up entries and reject spam/trolls/ads/not-a-meme entries when we have time, in order to decrease the actual amount of workload on the site admins had before we were "hired".
Confirming an entry is a slow process than can take months because of KYM's evolution. As you may have seen, at the beginning of KYM, entries weren't complete but confirmed anyway when the memetic content was obvious to people. That's also why an early confirmed meme expansion project has been launched. The thread is now locked but we still continue to clean-up old incomplete entries, one at a time.

KYM's goal has changed. Now, we want to have "proper" entries considered enough complete with enough basic information about origin, route of spread, derivatives and influence on the web in order to confirm them. So, it all depends on the managers' free time to review them.

Yeah, we do know that it's slow. Yeah, we do know it's frustrating when 1 month later your entry is still in submission, but I can't say anything else that "you have to deal with it because it's a slow process".

Last edited Sep 13, 2010 at 03:36AM EDT

I was gonna say admin, but I didn't want to get the position wrong. But I know about the whole early meme expansion thing, as I contributed to it through tinaecmusic. But the fact that KYM has evolved so much does not excuse the bitter truth that memes need to be confirmed, because some have a time limit (Like certain YouTube Poops, such as Gutsman's Ass) and others that have been in submissions so long (Such as You Cannot Grasp the True Form of X and the recently confirmed Ran Ran Ru) that it's practically bonkers!

You're all pointing out a very real and important issue.

We have not been allowed enough time to work on the site. None of us gets to work on Know Your Meme full-time. But this site definitely requires full-time staff if we're going to keep up with the demand. This failure isn't out of laziness, it's because we've been assigned other work related to other Rocketboom videos, including the live specials.

I'm going to communicate your concerns to my bosses, and hopefully we can convince them of how much of a priority KYM really is.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!