Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

309,402 total conversations in 9,286 threads

+ New Thread


Let the flame war ensue...

Last posted Aug 13, 2011 at 01:58AM EDT. Added Aug 10, 2011 at 09:33AM EDT
45 posts from 31 users

O.K. This always ends badly but… what’s your position on religion? Here’s mine:

While it’s true that science has disproved a lot of religious beliefs, and that religion Doesn’t have facts to back it up, I don’t think religion is pointless or stupid. Religion has it’s place in the world. Religion unites people, and provides answers where science can’t. I.E., We may never know what happens after we die. Religion is based on hope and faith. Science will probably never be able to prove why we’re here on this big blue rock we call earth. So, we hope and believe that there is a reason. And whoever thinks that hope and faith aren’t beautiful, is freakin psycho.

Aug 10, 2011 at 09:33AM EDT
Quote

I don’t share His word because I’m selfish like that. Plus, it is my personal belief that nobody (not even those of the one true faith) has the right to force their religions upon others, and if you don’t believe in my god that is your prerogative.

I am also very annoyed by religious congregations, and prefer to never be in attendance. There’s just something very creepy to me about sharing my faith with others, and I like to keep my relationship with God on a personal and private level.

Aug 10, 2011 at 09:51AM EDT
Quote

I’m a deist, so I don’t believe that organized religion is necessary. I believe that if there is some kind of higher power, it’s pointless to argue about the details and differences. If there is a higher power, it would want us to make the world a better place for others and live peacefully. And if there isn’t a higher power, it couldn’t hurt to try and live that way regardless.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:39AM EDT
Quote

I believe religion is what you said Tyler, but also to spread love, peace, wellbeing, and all that’s good. However the problem to trying to do that is extremism, at the same time I say religions shouldn’t force themselves on people.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:57AM EDT
Quote

That-guy wrote:

I believe religion is what you said Tyler, but also to spread love, peace, wellbeing, and all that’s good. However the problem to trying to do that is extremism, at the same time I say religions shouldn’t force themselves on people.

I agree with what you said too. I mean, if someone forces you to believe in their god and practice their religion, they can force you all they want, but you’ll never truly believe unless you have some sort of change in heart. You’ll just go along with it to avoid consequences.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:48PM EDT
Quote

I’m pretty much in Doc’s position on the matter, though I’m not all that devout to my beliefs and I kind of just live without giving others grief. I know it’s impossible to get everyone to see eye to eye, so I don’t go about preaching. I also don’t grow ignorant to what science proves just because a book that’s thousands of years old says otherwise. I’m very open minded in that respect.

Mostly, I really don’t care. I don’t think there’s a hell, and that leaves a few options to me that don’t bother much. If there’s nothing at the end, I don’t see the fuss in that. You won’t care when you die that you won’t see Fluffy, or your great-grandmother, or that game that was supposed to come out in a month. Your brain won’t have the capacity to care because it’ll be decayed beyond saving. And if there is a heaven, I’m sure it’s what you make of it. Maybe that’s where your hell can come from. If you truly think you deserve that fate you keep reliving it like a skipping record at the last half-second of your life.

What’d really piss me off is if you wake up with a helmet on your head when you die having played some sort of realistic and cruel future version of Second Life.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:53PM EDT
Quote

Doc wrote:

I’m a deist, so I don’t believe that organized religion is necessary. I believe that if there is some kind of higher power, it’s pointless to argue about the details and differences. If there is a higher power, it would want us to make the world a better place for others and live peacefully. And if there isn’t a higher power, it couldn’t hurt to try and live that way regardless.

This exactly. Especially the part about how organized religion is unnecessary.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:53PM EDT

eh, I don’t believe in anything.
Don’t need to.
Although I troll kids at camp saying how Thor got rid of all Ice Giants and they say
“Prove Ice giants exist!”
and I’m like
“I can’t really, Thor got rid of them all.”

Sorry if I’m a little off topic.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:40PM EDT
Quote

The group of people who worship Captain Falcon. Beginning at the website Halolzin early 2009, followers of the Church of Falcon are urged to show their moves every day or they will not be accepted into heaven.
As Captain Falcon is God, Wolf O’Donnell is the devil. He attempts to stop people from doing that by saying “Can’t let you do that!”

Prayers to the Falcon must end in “YES!”
Church of Falcon prayer:

Our Falcon, who art in Mute City, awesome be thy moves.
Thy meme has come, thy pose be done, on Earth as it is in Halolz.
Give us this day our Falcon Punch, and show us your moves
As we show our moves to those against us
Lead us not into Mudkipz, but deliver us from Star Wolf.
For thine is the coolness, and the lolz, and the glory.
Forever and ever,
YES!

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:48PM EDT
Quote

I pray for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But besides that. I’m a non-believer, it just doesn’t make sence to me.
I don’t care about others. You’re free to believe whatever you want, just don’t force it unto others.

Last edited Aug 10, 2011 at 02:16PM EDT
Aug 10, 2011 at 02:14PM EDT
Quote

Syndic wrote:

I don’t share His word because I’m selfish like that. Plus, it is my personal belief that nobody (not even those of the one true faith) has the right to force their religions upon others, and if you don’t believe in my god that is your prerogative.

I am also very annoyed by religious congregations, and prefer to never be in attendance. There’s just something very creepy to me about sharing my faith with others, and I like to keep my relationship with God on a personal and private level.

That pretty much says it for me. Being a Jew is also an important part of my personal identity, and I have a sensitivity to people disparaging my religion and people.

Aug 10, 2011 at 03:26PM EDT
Quote

I’m an Atheist, because I disagree with the Bible. But I don’t force it onto others, as I think people need something to hope for.

Aug 10, 2011 at 03:36PM EDT
Quote

just gonna say this again
The group of people who worship Captain Falcon. Beginning at the website Halolzin early 2009, followers of the Church of Falcon are urged to show their moves every day or they will not be accepted into heaven.
As Captain Falcon is God, Wolf O’Donnell is the devil. He attempts to stop people from doing that by saying “Can’t let you do that!”

Prayers to the Falcon must end in “YES!”
Church of Falcon prayer:

Our Falcon, who art in Mute City, awesome be thy moves.
Thy meme has come, thy pose be done, on Earth as it is in Halolz.
Give us this day our Falcon Punch, and show us your moves
As we show our moves to those against us
Lead us not into Mudkipz, but deliver us from Star Wolf.
For thine is the coolness, and the lolz, and the glory.
Forever and ever,
YES!

Aug 10, 2011 at 03:38PM EDT
Quote

I’m a part of the First Pacman Church.

O Pac-Man, glutton divine,
Thy roundness is exceeded only by thy yellowness.
Thou takest away the barriers in the maze of life,
Thou makest fruit to appear before me,
Thou turnest my enemies blue.
I humbly offer this quarter unto thee
As a symbol of my sacrifice,
And stuff.

Aug 10, 2011 at 03:44PM EDT
Quote

I think Jesus was a pretty good dude, who seemed to have lots of good ideas compared to his father who seemed to get angry and change his mind way too often. I don’t personally believe in god, but I guess I agree with Jesus and Buddha. I think it’s pretty sad how Christianity has been hijacked and twisted to be the faith of choice of tea partiers and the like. For instance:
“…I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
When I see that I think that it must mean that anyone who’s rich isn’t giving enough. Also it reminds me of the guy asking Jesus what to do to get into heaven and Jesus tells him to give all his money away. But then you get people claiming that the eye of the needle is a small gate that’s hard to get through or some stupid thing like that, just so they can justify wealth. Unfortunately it’s these people who claim to follow Jesus and God most. It’s things like these that annoys me, and frankly it seems that a lot of atheists are better Christians than some “Christians”.

Aug 10, 2011 at 03:48PM EDT
Quote

I personally believe that science is a physical application, and religion is a spiritual one, so neither can apply to the other.

I’m also against organized church, but not organized religion, because it requires one to listen to a preacher, when most religions require a personal interpretation, which sort of defeats the point of having faith itself.

Like we abandon faith for religion.

In all other ways, I see truth in every faith. It’s all the same God, love or hate him as you wish.

Aug 10, 2011 at 03:57PM EDT
Quote

Going to flame Christan’s and Catholics for a bit:

I was scared out of being a Cristian after they constantly threatened me about going to hell. I mean, what kind of God would send his children to suffer eternally if you don’t constantly beg him, his son, and his sons mom not to do so? It’s just messed up!

Yes, I view “Prayer” as “Begging”, prayer is also suppose to include wishing for the well being of your god, not just when you want something from him, something commonly overlooked.

Aug 10, 2011 at 04:56PM EDT
Quote

Wheatley wrote:

I’m pretty much in Doc’s position on the matter, though I’m not all that devout to my beliefs and I kind of just live without giving others grief. I know it’s impossible to get everyone to see eye to eye, so I don’t go about preaching. I also don’t grow ignorant to what science proves just because a book that’s thousands of years old says otherwise. I’m very open minded in that respect.

Mostly, I really don’t care. I don’t think there’s a hell, and that leaves a few options to me that don’t bother much. If there’s nothing at the end, I don’t see the fuss in that. You won’t care when you die that you won’t see Fluffy, or your great-grandmother, or that game that was supposed to come out in a month. Your brain won’t have the capacity to care because it’ll be decayed beyond saving. And if there is a heaven, I’m sure it’s what you make of it. Maybe that’s where your hell can come from. If you truly think you deserve that fate you keep reliving it like a skipping record at the last half-second of your life.

What’d really piss me off is if you wake up with a helmet on your head when you die having played some sort of realistic and cruel future version of Second Life.

That is exactly how I see it. When you get down to it, you can’t make people see eye-to-eye. In fact, the world would probably be pretty dull and boring if everyone did. AL GORE MIGHT NOT HAVE INVENTED TEH INTERNETZ! O________O

Aug 10, 2011 at 05:53PM EDT
Quote

I believe this (even though I’m Catholic, I’m gonna flame Christian and Catholic extremists):

No matter what religion you follow, you have no right to force it on other people. To me, forcing a religion is basically going against your own religion as well. Many religious people say, “God created everyone equal.” That reminds me of a time when I was forced to go to church and someone at the nearby BK said that Christianity is the true religion. That pissed me off. If God created everyone equal, then why are you saying that X is going to hell because one guy’s Muslim/Jewish/Buddhist? If anyone is going to hell, it is more likely you for being so ignorant to the other religions of the world.

Also, I HATE it when people say that, “Oh this man is a homosexual, he’s going to hell!” My reaction to that is, “The way I see it, you are the ignorant bastard and I think YOU’RE going to hell for being so ignorant.” Can anyone point out in the Bible where it says a man or woman can’t be with the same sex? Because I can’t find it.

And I’m sure everyone agrees with me that the Westboro Baptist Cult is going to hell. (I don’t call them a church.)

Aug 10, 2011 at 06:00PM EDT
Quote

I think that religion and belief can be separate. I’m Jewish by ancestry and family; I celebrate the Jewish holidays, I go to temple on Yom Kippur (no other time, though), and I went to Hebrew School when I was younger.

But my actual beliefs follow a “Schrödinger’s cat” thinking process; we have no proof, so we can’t conclusively say God exists or doesn’t exist.

Basically, I’m Jewish by family, Agnostic by belief.

Aug 10, 2011 at 06:35PM EDT
Quote

I’m Catholic but I look at everything from a scientific viewpoint. I don’t think that a god created the universe in 7 days but rather that those 7 days were representative of the billions of years that it took the earth to form and for life to develop. I find it highly unlikely that matter and physics would even exist without some kind of reason behind it. I also find it unlikely that all 2 billion or so proteins necessary for the existence of the simplest life form could just arrange themselves properly in a lifeless environment. Though I do believe in evolution I think that it has several flaws in it such as limited simplicity and that when a cell mutates it is more likely to turn into cancer and kill the organism than actually help it or simply act benign.

tl:dr:

Aug 10, 2011 at 07:51PM EDT
Quote

Agnostic, because surprisingly, I have no idea what happened and how this universe came about I simply say that every theory is technically possible as long as it explains existence.

At any rate its not much worth thinking about, god alone is an EXTREMELY vague term given all the different religions, for example omnipotent and omniscient are both words related to the english word god, which wouldn’t be surprising given the religions with the greatest influence in the english langauge would be Judaism, Chirstainity and Islam, all of which have rather strong godly figures.

An interesting universal topic but you will never reach a conclusion if you argue with someone over it. Personally, I think politics makes for much better agruments since there are afew examples in human history of many political systems and what was flawed about each one of the examples.

TL;DR:I am agnostic, I have no idea.

Aug 10, 2011 at 08:20PM EDT
Quote

After we die I think we become someone else with no memories of our past life. Also that stuff about the Big bang.

Aug 10, 2011 at 09:17PM EDT
Quote

I only believe in Celestia. But to be serious I dont try to complicate my life with religion but not complicate other peoples lives with Science, i guess im in the grey area until i die :\

Aug 10, 2011 at 09:25PM EDT
Quote

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m essentially a fundamentalist Christian. That being said, I like to think I’m a lot more open-minded than the stereotype: I usually vote Democrat; I believe in separation of church and state; although I believe there is a Hell and many people will unfortunately end up there, I don’t think Heaven will be Christians only; I believe that it’s silly to deny that evolution happens, although I think it’s also silly not to question many aspects of evolutionary theory.

As in so many threads like this before, I’m going to link to my blog: Lately, my feelings about God have been along the lines of this post.

Aug 11, 2011 at 01:12AM EDT
Quote

Derpy Hooves wrote:

I believe this (even though I’m Catholic, I’m gonna flame Christian and Catholic extremists):

No matter what religion you follow, you have no right to force it on other people. To me, forcing a religion is basically going against your own religion as well. Many religious people say, “God created everyone equal.” That reminds me of a time when I was forced to go to church and someone at the nearby BK said that Christianity is the true religion. That pissed me off. If God created everyone equal, then why are you saying that X is going to hell because one guy’s Muslim/Jewish/Buddhist? If anyone is going to hell, it is more likely you for being so ignorant to the other religions of the world.

Also, I HATE it when people say that, “Oh this man is a homosexual, he’s going to hell!” My reaction to that is, “The way I see it, you are the ignorant bastard and I think YOU’RE going to hell for being so ignorant.” Can anyone point out in the Bible where it says a man or woman can’t be with the same sex? Because I can’t find it.

And I’m sure everyone agrees with me that the Westboro Baptist Cult is going to hell. (I don’t call them a church.)

I am also Catholic and this is pretty much how I see things, I could word it a different way, but you deserve credit.

Aug 11, 2011 at 06:15AM EDT
Quote

Aristocatification aka Lolishiiit wrote:

God does not exist!
Why?
There`s no porn of him.

Rule 34 ftw

Unfortunately, you are sadly mistaken about this…

Aug 11, 2011 at 05:47PM EDT
Quote

Atheist. Because dinosaurs that’s why.

Aug 11, 2011 at 05:56PM EDT

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

Atheist. Because dinosaurs that’s why.

Okay, now the flame wars: WTF is that supposed to mean?

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:35PM EDT
Quote

Brucker wrote:

Okay, now the flame wars: WTF is that supposed to mean?

If I had religion I wouldn’t believe in dinosaurs, and that is why I’m atheist.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:48AM EDT

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

If I had religion I wouldn’t believe in dinosaurs, and that is why I’m atheist.

No, really, that doesn’t make any sense. For instance, I believe in dinosaurs, and I’m religious. Is there some sort of personal problem that you have that disallows you from believing in dinosaurs and a supreme being at the same time? Are you saying that you worship dinosaurs--or would worship dinosaurs, but since they’re extinct, you’re an atheist?

Aug 12, 2011 at 01:21AM EDT
Quote

Can’t we all just get along?

I believe in what I want, and I respect others beliefs. Just don’t get angry because someone said something that wasn’t in your beliefs.

People always assume that people who believe in religion are all hateful extremeists, but the reason why is that they get all the attention in the news and around the world, sometime taking it to a terrible level.(Ex: Osama) It’s almost stereotypical in a sense. It’s like the cheesy stereotypes you see in crappy Disney channel shows, which is why when you ask a 12 year old about an Australian, they’ll do a very bad stereotypical accent. Same thing goes for religion. Which is why it’s hatted so much…
It’s these Stereotypes that ruin a religion’s followers and make them more easier to target.
For every religion, there will always be at least one extremist.

Last edited Aug 12, 2011 at 01:42AM EDT
Aug 12, 2011 at 01:32AM EDT
Quote

Hackenbacker wrote:

Can’t we all just get along?

I believe in what I want, and I respect others beliefs. Just don’t get angry because someone said something that wasn’t in your beliefs.

People always assume that people who believe in religion are all hateful extremeists, but the reason why is that they get all the attention in the news and around the world, sometime taking it to a terrible level.(Ex: Osama) It’s almost stereotypical in a sense. It’s like the cheesy stereotypes you see in crappy Disney channel shows, which is why when you ask a 12 year old about an Australian, they’ll do a very bad stereotypical accent. Same thing goes for religion. Which is why it’s hatted so much…
It’s these Stereotypes that ruin a religion’s followers and make them more easier to target.
For every religion, there will always be at least one extremist.

Actually, considering the subject matter, this conversation is turning out to be more civil than the usual topic of discussion. That’s…impressive to say the least.

Aug 12, 2011 at 01:40AM EDT
Quote

Brucker wrote:

No, really, that doesn’t make any sense. For instance, I believe in dinosaurs, and I’m religious. Is there some sort of personal problem that you have that disallows you from believing in dinosaurs and a supreme being at the same time? Are you saying that you worship dinosaurs--or would worship dinosaurs, but since they’re extinct, you’re an atheist?

According to your fancy-smancy religions, dinosaurs are just tricks by some pissed off red guy. If I had religion then I would believe dinosaurs never existed.

Aug 12, 2011 at 02:41AM EDT

Both atheist and theist are wrong, as I’m both.

Aug 12, 2011 at 02:42AM EDT

Suiseiseki     wrote:

I’m Catholic but I look at everything from a scientific viewpoint. I don’t think that a god created the universe in 7 days but rather that those 7 days were representative of the billions of years that it took the earth to form and for life to develop. I find it highly unlikely that matter and physics would even exist without some kind of reason behind it. I also find it unlikely that all 2 billion or so proteins necessary for the existence of the simplest life form could just arrange themselves properly in a lifeless environment. Though I do believe in evolution I think that it has several flaws in it such as limited simplicity and that when a cell mutates it is more likely to turn into cancer and kill the organism than actually help it or simply act benign.

tl:dr:

Can I hug you?

Aug 12, 2011 at 02:43AM EDT
Quote

Derpy Hooves wrote:

I believe this (even though I’m Catholic, I’m gonna flame Christian and Catholic extremists):

No matter what religion you follow, you have no right to force it on other people. To me, forcing a religion is basically going against your own religion as well. Many religious people say, “God created everyone equal.” That reminds me of a time when I was forced to go to church and someone at the nearby BK said that Christianity is the true religion. That pissed me off. If God created everyone equal, then why are you saying that X is going to hell because one guy’s Muslim/Jewish/Buddhist? If anyone is going to hell, it is more likely you for being so ignorant to the other religions of the world.

Also, I HATE it when people say that, “Oh this man is a homosexual, he’s going to hell!” My reaction to that is, “The way I see it, you are the ignorant bastard and I think YOU’RE going to hell for being so ignorant.” Can anyone point out in the Bible where it says a man or woman can’t be with the same sex? Because I can’t find it.

And I’m sure everyone agrees with me that the Westboro Baptist Cult is going to hell. (I don’t call them a church.)

Umm, not to piss you off, just pointing out a fact here, completely agree with your post except for one MINOR detail… the folks who think homosexuals are sinning are going off of the Bible verse in Leviticus 18:22 “Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.”
I’m not agreeing with the verse, I’m just pointing out something to you….please don’t hurt me…

Aug 12, 2011 at 02:49AM EDT
Quote

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

According to your fancy-smancy religions, dinosaurs are just tricks by some pissed off red guy. If I had religion then I would believe dinosaurs never existed.

First of all, that’s simply not true. There are some oddball people who believe this, that’s for sure, but it’s not part of the dogma of any religion I know of.

Secondly, and more importantly, sorry for jumping on you like I did. I realized when I thought back on this conversation that this is a weird sore spot for me because of something that happened a long time ago that apparently I never got over:
{Note: this is where the apology ends and a story not necessarily of interest to anyone but myself begins; feel free to stop reading, really, even in the middle of this sentence because I know I have a tendency sometimes to rattle on and on without ever--uh, sorry…}

Shortly after I became a Christian, I was talking with a friend of mine about why I was a Christian, and what I thought the importance of Christianity was. In the middle of the conversation, he blurted out, “Okay, but what about dinosaurs?” I actually proceeded to explain to him the various points-of-view that many Christians have about dinosaurs, that not all Christians were “young-earth creationists”, and even among those that are, there are some who believe that dinosaurs are mentioned in the book of Job.

But I realized after the conversation (and it’s stuck with me all these years) that “Okay, but what about dinosaurs?” was a completely stupid question that had nothing to do with what we had been talking about, and he had used it to derail the conversation. The proper response from me should have been, “I don’t know; what about dinosaurs? I’m pretty sure they’re extinct, so I’m not sure what they have to do with anyone’s beliefs about God and the afterlife who doesn’t happen to live in the Mesozoic Era.”

Aug 13, 2011 at 01:58AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!