Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Popular chars renamed in your country

Last posted Mar 06, 2012 at 08:21AM EST. Added Mar 03, 2012 at 08:58AM EST
11 posts from 8 users

Those of you people that aren't from U.S.A. may have found through internet that the original name of a character you used to know is not the same as in your country.
So, post pictures of some popular characters and the name they used to have in your country.
I'll start from the italian names of three popular characters of the Transformers G1:

Commander

Memor

Astrum

Wally

You grew up knowing him as Waldo, but I grew up knowing him as Wally

Because everywhere else in the world except for the United States and Canada, we go by his original name. Why he was renamed in the US and Canada to Waldo is beyond me. What's wrong with Wally? Too British for you?

Last edited Mar 03, 2012 at 10:26AM EST

I think Wally is just too common.
Besides…
From the left: DUCA Duck, Buster Bunny, BABY Bunny, Dizzy Devil and LINDON!!

Why the hell did they rename Plucky "Duca"? It would have been understandable if his original name was Duke Duck, which is the exact translation (and pretty cool IMHO), but it's not!
Only a letter of difference among Babs and Baby, but the whole meaning of the word changes a lot.
But the most disturbing thing is Hamtom becoming Lindon, because in the same years the series was aired in Italy was popular even a brand of diapers with almost the same name: Lindor.
This is senseless if you think here in Italy this guy below was renamed…

LORD FENER!

Because "Vader" was too similar to "Water", word used in the 80s to define this thing:

Last edited Mar 04, 2012 at 03:51AM EST

In the UK during the 80's, the word Ninja was banned due to the connections it had to violence. Yeah. Seriously. Not only that, but throwing stars and nunchucks were also banned, so Michelangelo was never shown using his nunchucks, and they were eventually replaced with a grappling hook.

Yeah.

This is an obvious one

Japan:

U.S:

Why? Apparently, Pocket Monsters had already been used in the U.S, so they shortened it to Pokemon. Personally, I like the name Pokemon more than Pocket Monsters. Short and sweet.

FudgeGruck wrote:

This is an obvious one

Japan:

U.S:

Why? Apparently, Pocket Monsters had already been used in the U.S, so they shortened it to Pokemon. Personally, I like the name Pokemon more than Pocket Monsters. Short and sweet.

They used the English version in Japan and the Japanese version in the U.S, lol.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!