Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

308,786 total conversations in 9,071 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Mafia Game 7: Detective Comics Edition

Last posted Apr 01, 2012 at 12:15AM EDT. Added Mar 16, 2012 at 04:04AM EDT
322 posts from 21 users

Okay People you know how it goes. Same rules as game 4, but with a theme:

Role 1: The League of Assassins

A collection of 3-5 villians out to kill everyone in the game (The number of Assassins will be 1/5 of the total number of players). The League must decide who to kill when the game is in the “night” phase. They will do this by communicating with each other and then deciding who to kill. Then the League will PM the narrator their victim. So every “night” one person will be killed and they will be out of the game.

I recommend the League sets themselves up a chatroom

Role 2: Harvey Dent

There will only be one Harvey. Harvey must identify the Assassins, then convict them. During the “night” phase Harvey will PM the narrator the name of one of the other players. The narrator will PM Harvey back and tell Harvey that players role. It is up to Harvey how he will deliver his prosecution to everyone else

Role 3: Batman

There will only be one Batman. During the “night” phase Batman can PM the narrator the name of one player. If this player was selected by the league for death, then Batman will heroically save that player. If Batman picks someone else, nothing happens. Batman cannot protect himself

Role 4 and 5: Robin and Nightwing

Two players will be Batmans sidekicks, one being Robin, the other being Nightwing. Robin and Nightwing will work together and pool evidence. They will be given a very subtle hint every 2 turns.

Role 6: The Citizens

Everyone else will be a Citizen of Gotham City. During the “day” phase they will discuss among themselves (including the League, Bruce Wayne, and Harvey Dent who keep their identities secret) one person to kill who they believe is an assassin. When a consensus is reached the narrator will announce the death.

Role 7: The Narrator

I will narrate the end results of each day and who lives and dies. But I am not a character in the game. I can neither vote, nor be voted off.

Players:

• Bob
  • Dr.Meme
  • Dravitar
  • Madcat
  • Luis
  • Silver Chariot
  • Randomman
  • Slappy
  • Muffinator
  • Seal Clubba
  • opspe
  • Jeffery
  • Mr. J
  • Douglas

If you are in this, remember to keep tabs on this thread. Players inactive for 2 games phases will be killed by wild rabid lawnmowers
Bruelock

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 10:53PM EDT
Mar 16, 2012 at 04:04AM EDT

How the game progresses:

The game has 2 phases as you already read about: a Day and Night phase. It starts off in the Night.

The Night Phase: During the night, all the citizens are asleep. The League will pick one person to kill, Harvey will pick one person to investigate, and Batman will pick one person to save. After all this is done, the Citizens wake and it moves to the day phase. The narrator will write a short story describing what happened, telling all players who died/was saved.

The Day Phase: During the day, all players except the narrator discuss between themselves who they think is most likely to be the League. When they have reached a consensus by a vote, the narrator kills that person then the game moves back to the night phase.

The phases last until all players have made their votes. But a maximum length of a phase is 42 hours. Votes beyond 42 hours are ignored and the game continues without them

Game Notes:

Death: When you die you reveal your role to the rest of the game. Dead players can still post but cannot vote or perform their roles. Dead characters are not allowed to post anything related to the game once they have been killed, as they know too much.

Winning: The villagers win when all assassins are dead. The League wins if their population exceeds Citizen population

Harvey: Harvey may know the identity of one of the Assassins if he guesses right during the night phase, that doesn’t mean people can trust him, as no one actually knows who is telling the truth.

If you have any questions or requests, post them here before the games begins. I’ll start the game once enough people say they are in

Mar 16, 2012 at 04:05AM EDT

I’m in.

Mar 16, 2012 at 04:14AM EDT

I might join, but I can’t until the weekend. Work and all that.

Mar 16, 2012 at 04:20AM EDT

Well the opening stage will go for a few days or so, so that everyone has time to check in.

If anyone is unsure if they want to join, remember: You have a chance at being Batman! BATMAN!

Mar 16, 2012 at 06:49AM EDT

Aw, heck. My school calls to me… but… I mean, come on, I could be freaking BATMAN.
Well, sure. I’m in.

Mar 16, 2012 at 07:24AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Well the opening stage will go for a few days or so, so that everyone has time to check in.

If anyone is unsure if they want to join, remember: You have a chance at being Batman! BATMAN!

Batman?

Mar 16, 2012 at 07:34AM EDT

Robin and Nightwing should be removed on account of giving an assured victory to the Citizens.

Mar 16, 2012 at 07:35AM EDT

I’m just following the format of previous games here. (Note: I mean’t to say I’m copying the rules of Game 5, not Game 4)

I’ll remove those roles if democratic vote favors against them

Mar 16, 2012 at 09:14AM EDT

I’m in.

1 request though:

Once you’re killed you’re no longer allowed to participate in the game. But if a person gets killed in the first night phase, this is kinda unfair, as he’s out before he could ever start.

So here’s my suggestion, let this rule kick in from day 3 or so. So starting from the 3rd night phase, dead players can no longer participate. Before that it’s still allowed. If they had a special role however, they can of course no longer perform that role.

Oh, and can we get the obvious rule? Inactive players will be kicked if they don’t post in this thread after 2 full in-game days (so 2 day and 2 night phases).

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:12AM EDT

Hello people,

As most of you would have probably guessed, I am a new member but I have been lurking these forums for a while and now I feel like I might be able to find a place within this community.

Awkward introductory statements aside, I am greatly interested in partaking in this session of the KYM Mafia.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:30AM EDT

@Random

Fun fact: That rule has always been there, its copied from previous mafia game OP’s

I made some edits to the formatting of the copypasta but I kept the rules in tact.

Seems that one rule had been forgotten from the very beginning. However I want the game to work like the rest has and since the rest worked with players posting after death I’m willing to repeal that rule so the thread doesn’t become restrained to a mere few.

I want to see some opinions here; what limit should we apply on dead players? No grace? 1 round grace? 3 round grace? Or no restrictions at all?

As for this:

Inactive players will be kicked if they don’t post in this thread after 2 full in-game days (so 2 day and 2 night phases).

Yes, can you edit rule that into my OP? I still can’t edit my old posts

@Slappy

Welcome aboard, just stay tuned to this thread. I’ll get the ball rolling soon.

Players so far:

• Bob
  • Dr.Meme
  • Dravitar
  • Madcat
  • Luis
  • Silver Chariot
  • Randomman
  • Slappy
Mar 16, 2012 at 11:10AM EDT

I would have thought that our discussion last night indicated my interest. But, either way, I’m in.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:18AM EDT
Yes, can you edit rule that into my OP? I still can’t edit my old posts

No, he can’t…but you can, BSoD. Just believe in yourself and try again…

I’d like to play, but I’ll be away even more often over the next few days. However, I should be on often enough to participate until what is late Tuesday in the US, so I won’t get kicked from the game for inactivity.

As for the grace period, I interpreted Random’s post as saying that characters with “special” roles cannot participate when they die no matter how early it is. Actually, he didn’t say that. I did. My bad. They simply know too much. But I’d suggest adding nuances:

• The League of Assassins shouldn’t be allowed to play upon death. They’ve had a chance to play at least one round (because they won’t be killed until the day phase where they can manipulate votes.) But mostly because no one but mafia could trust them. There’d be no point.
  • Harvey Dent is Twoface and cannot b could work in a few ways:
    • Do we reward Dent for avoiding his death by allowing him to give out what information he has gathered up until that point?
    • Do we add another level of strategy by making him decide when to drop all of his evidence while he’s alive and prevent him from saying anything after he dies?

This is where the grace rule should come into play. If Dent dies between the first Night Phase and, say, through second Day Phase, then he should become a citizen with no vote. He doesn’t know much at this point: just the status of two players. For the sake of the citizens and other non-assassin roles, he still can’t necessarily say another character has a role (outside of villager or assassin) because it may make the other roles a target for death before he can save more people/get more information. He’d have to figure out when it’s best to come out and say it even after death.

However, after if he dies during or after the Third Night phase, then I think he should be removed from participation altogether. He’s had a chance to play, and he now knows too much.

• Batman don’t know sh!t. Let him play after he dies. All he did was try to save people. After he dies, he’s simply a citizen without a vote.
  • Robin and Nightwing should be treated similarly to Dent, I think. If one dies in the first two Night Phases, then he should just become a citizen without a vote. However, I would say that they shouldn’t use the death to their advantage by letting the dead dude of da Dynamic Duo give the citizens hints without fear of death (because he’s already dead.)
    • We could trust that when one dies, that they agree to not talk about the hints anymore (honor system.)
    • From there, then the participation after death would look like Dent’s. If one dies before the third Night Phase (or another specified Night Phase,) then he can still give his opinion along with his information. After that phase has passed, then Robin/Nightwing cannot play at all if they’ve died after that point.
  • The citizens can be great at this game or not. I think that if you had Random, opspe, Bob, among others who were still giving out their opinions late into the game, then killing them off as citizens would mean nothing. So a grace rule for anyone who’s dead should be in place:

If you’re dead after the third Day Phase, then you should not be able to play anymore. If you were dead before then, then you can participate until the end of the third Day Phase. If you die in the fifth Day Phase, you cannot participate upon your death. If you die in the twentieth Night Phase, then you cannot participate at all upon your death.

This gives everyone a chance to participate, gives the citizens a chance to form a plan(s) of attack, and gives some meaning to actually dying in the game.

That’s a lot to consider, and there are probably some problems with it. But I think this set-up keeps things fair while letting people play a bit. The number of phases can be changed too (but a lot can happen in a Day Phase or a Night Phase, so I think second Night Phase cutlines and third Night Phase universal cutlines is ideal.)

Last edited Mar 16, 2012 at 12:38PM EDT
Mar 16, 2012 at 11:52AM EDT

I vote that dead players should be allowed to give their opinions if they don’t have a special role.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:59AM EDT

@Verbose

No, he can’t…but you can, BSoD. Just believe in yourself and try again…

It’s…it’s a miracle!

Thanks for the input, I agree, although I wonder if we can condense that into a simpler set of maybe 1 or 2 rules. Gotta keep this as simple as possible

If no one said anything I would have enforced the last games rule: that the dead can only share definitive information for one day only. After that, they are sworn to secrecy regardless of what facts they had to share, but they can post on the thread and appear in seances as much as they want so long as they aren’t helping

‘Definitive information’ means straightforward facts about who is and who is not an assassin or evidence pointing to one player or another.

So if a dead player has no real clues about anything he can still chime in and give opinions

We can go with that, or we can decide on separate “death cases” for each role as Verbose laid out. What do you think?

Last edited Mar 16, 2012 at 05:21PM EDT
Mar 16, 2012 at 05:20PM EDT

IN IN IN IN. I WANT TO SLICE OFF ALL OF YOUR FACES. like in the last game.

Mar 16, 2012 at 05:25PM EDT

I’ll play when I can. Don’t know if I’ll be any good, but I’ll try.

Mar 16, 2012 at 05:27PM EDT

I’m looking for at least 2 more players saying “Yes I can most definitively attend”, preferably more. Applications will remain open for the rest of this day. I plan on extending the opening phase an extra day or two so those hoping to join in the weekend have a chance

Last edited Mar 16, 2012 at 05:31PM EDT
Mar 16, 2012 at 05:29PM EDT

I’m looking for at least 2 more players saying “Yes I can most definitively attend”, preferably more. Applications will remain open for the rest of this day. I plan on extending the opening phase an extra day or two so those hoping to join in the weekend have a chance

YES YES..ONLY 2 MORE THEN THE FACE SLICING CAN COMMENCE. (if you are new here then i shall tell you why i am so obsessed with slicing off peoples faces, in the last game i sliced off 404’s face and wore it as a mask, so now you know, ANY KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE, G.I JOE!)

Mar 16, 2012 at 05:31PM EDT

I’m probably not going to be on for a lot of the night phase, but I’ll be able to get most of the day ones.

Mar 16, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT

Sandstone wrote:

I’m probably not going to be on for a lot of the night phase, but I’ll be able to get most of the day ones.

Acutally..night phases don’t work the way you’d think. We start out with a night phase, it lasts for 24 hours or 48 and then we have a day phase which i believe lasts the same amount of time as a day phase.

Mar 16, 2012 at 05:43PM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

Acutally..night phases don’t work the way you’d think. We start out with a night phase, it lasts for 24 hours or 48 and then we have a day phase which i believe lasts the same amount of time as a day phase.

Okay then. BlueScreen, when you’re up, I’m asleep. That’s the best I can do time-wise.

Mar 16, 2012 at 05:54PM EDT

Are you sleep typing Pyro? I’m awake right now

We’ve reached the minimum number of players I am looking for, but I am hoping Muffinator will join (and others) so I’ll wait until the weekend

Well actually it is the weekend, but it wont be for you guys until tomorrow

Mar 16, 2012 at 06:22PM EDT

Say, how long are ‘day and night phases’ because I got school and I live in Australia (EST).

Mar 16, 2012 at 06:49PM EDT

Are you sleep typing Pyro? I’m awake right now

We’ve reached the minimum number of players I am looking for, but I am hoping Muffinator will join (and others) so I’ll wait until the weekend

Well actually it is the weekend, but it wont be for you guys until tomorrow

Sorry, came out wrong. A better way is that I’m open from the hours of 3:30-8 my time. I’m on Central Standard time, I think. I don’t know what that is your time.

Last edited Mar 16, 2012 at 07:16PM EDT
Mar 16, 2012 at 07:05PM EDT

Crap, I meant 8 PM, not 5 PM. That’s 5 hours of avaliable time I have. I hope that’s enough.

Mar 16, 2012 at 07:18PM EDT

@Verbose

My idea was actually a lot more simple.

• You had the idea correct of having a set time period before a person is no longer allowed to post in General. So we can go with that. This way everyone can at least participate for a while.
  • As for my idea with special roles if they die within the first few phases. The idea was just that they’re still allowed to give their opinion, but they can no longer perform their role or cast a vote (they’ve been brought back to just villagers). Any information they gained within these few turns can of course be shared, but they won’t receive any new information from the narrator.
  • As for Harvy. He’s allowed to release any information upon death but not allowed to make any posts after that (besides the standard non-influental type). So it’s up to hime how he presents the information, as it’s his good-bye message found on his dead corps which was created throughout the game.
  • Robin and Nightwing work together. So the question here is if or when they’re allowed to give information. If they’re allowed to give away their tips, best would probably be when both are dead. As they work together through PM. If one’s dead, the other can still share the information he receives, unknown to us. The one left alive has mastered the skills of necromancy, allowing him to stay in contact with the dead one until they both died.
    • We can of course follow your honor system, but this isn’t bullet proof.
  • Batman doesn’t know shit, so it’s not really important. Upon death he becomes Bruce Wayne again and gets the same threatment as any other villager.
  • Villagers are probably the biggest question. How long do we allow them to remain a part of the game after their death besides the first few phases everyone gets? Best here might be to just follow the same rule as in the previous game: A dead villager can post as much as he wants during the next phase and loses everything once that phase is over.

This are of course suggestions, fill them in like you want.

Mar 16, 2012 at 07:29PM EDT

Sandstone wrote:

Each phase takes 42 hours total (or less if all the votes are in). So a full in-game day takes 84 hours max.

So I doubt you fail to participate.

Mar 17, 2012 at 02:51PM EDT

I’m joining because I hadn’t joined any after the first one……..

Mar 17, 2012 at 06:05PM EDT

Douglas, Jeffery and J, welcome aboard

Okay, last call for the mafia game! Well be starting in T-24 hours

Roles will be handed out by the end of the weekend. Remember: if you do not get a role then you are a citizen

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 10:54PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 10:52PM EDT

I CAN’T WAIT THIS FUCKING LONG, SKYRIM TAKE ME AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:39PM EDT

Patience Clubba.

I told you that I would wait during the weekend so some people hoping to sign in during the weekend can do so. They have 23 hours.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:55PM EDT

GODDAMNIT! Why did I even take my night shift?! Now I’m too late… ;_; sigh guess it’s just you and me, popcorn…

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:24AM EDT

I’m gonna say the following before we start.

Don’t join just for the special roles. Stick to your damn role if you end up being a villager. Way too often people stop playing because they ended up as a villager, which is just a dick move.

Sorry for the people who actually do play as villagers, but the above just happens too often.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:55PM EDT

But its not to late..you have 12 hours to join

Oh really? throws away popcorn Then I’m in! But just in case of my mysterious absence. My timezone is UTC/GMT +8 hours

Edit: Just reread the whole thing. Looks like I misread a few statements lol fail. Pardon about the melodrama.

Last edited Mar 18, 2012 at 01:20PM EDT
Mar 18, 2012 at 01:12PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!