Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

310,784 total conversations in 9,392 threads

+ New Thread

This is why I hate pop music

Last posted Jun 05, 2012 at 06:36AM EDT. Added Jun 03, 2012 at 12:38PM EDT
32 posts from 21 users

Nah, not enough songs about hands in the air.

Jun 03, 2012 at 12:45PM EDT

It reminds me of Swear Words.

Jun 03, 2012 at 12:48PM EDT

I’m with you on that one Brawler.

Pop music irritates me because when I hear those lyrics, all I can hear is “WERE SO COOL, HIP AND FRESH! BUY OUR ALBUM!”

No matter what the lyrics are really about, I am left thinking: “Shut up, please just shut up. I can’t hear the bass drop over your verbal spam!”

Jun 03, 2012 at 12:50PM EDT

Pop music is specifically designed to be repetitive, catchy with lyrics with very little meaning so they can be mass produced to maximize profits.

Jun 03, 2012 at 12:56PM EDT

This is why I only listen to orchestral third wave ska-punk.

Jun 03, 2012 at 01:34PM EDT

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

This is why I only listen to orchestral third wave ska-punk.

>2012
>not listening to post-avant jazzcore

Jun 03, 2012 at 01:38PM EDT

>mfw people think progressive dreamfunk is better than post-avant jazzcore

Jun 03, 2012 at 01:44PM EDT

GUIZ JUS LSTN 2 BIEBS HES SOOOOOOO GUD N HAWT

Jun 03, 2012 at 02:13PM EDT

Oh come on, club dance songs are so 2010. The Hot 100 has been chaning a lot recently.

Jun 03, 2012 at 03:13PM EDT

Guise please.

Obviously neo-classical zydeco punk rockabilly dubstyle is best genre.

>plebs

Jun 03, 2012 at 03:49PM EDT

Comrades please.

The best genre is pre-collapse nationalist Leninstep.

>capitalists

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 06:35PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 06:35PM EDT

When it comes to pop music, this is my reaction:

Pop music: Raping your ears since the music industry lost it’s interest in finding talented musicians.

Jun 03, 2012 at 08:17PM EDT

Heavy Weapons wrote:

You all are hipsters if you liked that rubbish, Now THIS is a sick beat.

I wish I had a better video, but:

Jun 03, 2012 at 09:44PM EDT

Piano wrote:

Comrades please.

The best genre is pre-collapse nationalist Leninstep.

>capitalists

>relevant

Jun 03, 2012 at 10:06PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

ITT: “My music tastes are less mainstream than yours”

Kinda ironic for an overall dislike towards hipsters online.

Jun 04, 2012 at 06:26AM EDT

I think I’m just about the only person who listening to this…

Jun 04, 2012 at 08:12AM EDT

Teh Brawler wrote:

This is sweet. If i was at the club with a few drinks in me. This song would get to to the dance floor.

And can any of you dance? (huge dancer here, mostly hiphop n brake dancing) Because ive grown to notice that people who cant dance or have no rhythm hate more kinds of music.

Jun 04, 2012 at 12:53PM EDT

Psh, you all are too mainstream. I only listen to deconstructionist post-modern orchestrations.

Jun 04, 2012 at 01:34PM EDT

Lady Doomz Dayz wrote:

This is sweet. If i was at the club with a few drinks in me. This song would get to to the dance floor.

And can any of you dance? (huge dancer here, mostly hiphop n brake dancing) Because ive grown to notice that people who cant dance or have no rhythm hate more kinds of music.

Please be saying this all for the irony

I’m hardly inclined to say that the two statistics are related without real scientific analysis.

Jun 04, 2012 at 01:36PM EDT

Teh Brawler wrote:

Please be saying this all for the irony

I’m hardly inclined to say that the two statistics are related without real scientific analysis.

Being a dance instructor and a dance team coach i deal with all types of music and people, after awhile you’ll start to see it. I cant even count how many classes ive had where at the beginning people cant get into some types music or they just plan hate it. But by the end they love it, just for the fact that they can now dance to it. It sounds silly but i see it all the time. Dancing and music go hand in hand so you start appreciating the dance that goes with said music you start to appreciate that music and vice versa. Not saying that this is a universal rule by no means though.

Jun 04, 2012 at 01:51PM EDT

@Lady

Only marginally, I’m certainly no dance pro, though I do try whenever I go down to the clubs and I’m still learning

The clubs play all kinds of music including pop (Though most of it is R&B) but rather than complain and I just go ahead and dance to them regardless if I like it. Pop is easier to dance to anyway.

But at the end of the day I still don’t like any of the popular genre’s. Dancing to pop just cannot bring me to appreciate it. It just doesn’t seem to have that intensity, ingenuity, atmosphere or euphoria that I crave in music. Furthermore pop music is more likely to have the things I absolutely loathe in music such as profanity, egomanical boasting, sexual boasting, whining about ex/girlfriend/boyfriend/girls/boys and high pitched chipmunk voices.

…gawd I hate chipmunk voices.

Jun 04, 2012 at 07:40PM EDT

I’m just going to leave these here…

Also, if you look at the tags for “Eyes Wide Open”, you will see the phrase "Apocalyptically big balls.

Jun 04, 2012 at 07:48PM EDT

I recently requested one of my area’s radio stations to play this song

Jun 04, 2012 at 08:29PM EDT

I listen to and like mainstream music.

Jun 04, 2012 at 08:50PM EDT

Lady Doomz Dayz wrote:

Being a dance instructor and a dance team coach i deal with all types of music and people, after awhile you’ll start to see it. I cant even count how many classes ive had where at the beginning people cant get into some types music or they just plan hate it. But by the end they love it, just for the fact that they can now dance to it. It sounds silly but i see it all the time. Dancing and music go hand in hand so you start appreciating the dance that goes with said music you start to appreciate that music and vice versa. Not saying that this is a universal rule by no means though.

I’m going to have to echo BSoD’s thoughts on a few things:

“It just doesn’t seem to have that intensity, ingenuity, atmosphere or euphoria that I crave in music. Furthermore pop music is more likely to have the things I absolutely loathe in music such as profanity, egomanical boasting, sexual boasting, whining about ex/girlfriend/boyfriend/girls/boys and high pitched chipmunk voices.”

Honestly, I don’t find the video Teh Brawler posted to be too bad. I kinda like the beat. However, the sampling does illustrate how terribly generic pop music can be. Everything is about partying, and everyone just keeps saying “put your hands in the air” rather than coming up with anything creative. While I can certainly understand that some people enjoy partying and/or placing their hands in the air and waving them about as if they just did not care, it’s terribly overused in music.

Also, as Tim the Enchanter stated, “Pop music is specifically designed to be repetitive, catchy with lyrics with very little meaning so they can be mass produced to maximize profits.” Not to diss any artists you like, but this happens a lot. Musicians want to make music, and I’m not cynical enough to believe all pop musicians are greedy assholes out to steal your money. It’s a different story with labels, though. They aren’t artists, they’re businessmen, and it’s their job to sell music. Business aside, I would like to bring up the fact that a songs strengths are also its weaknesses: it’s just a matter of perspective. Such is the way of all forms of art. You think “catchy” and “danceable” are a musical strength? Catchy and danceable to you is just boring and repetitive to someone else. Likewise, I enjoy complex songs, with multiple time signature changes, and a really high tempo. However, these things that I find to be musical strengths are the very reason my favorite musicians tend to be less popular ones. The complexity is often perceived by others as instrumentally convoluted, noisy garbage.

Jun 05, 2012 at 02:38AM EDT

To be honest, the only decent pop music I liked was Micheal Jackson’s.

And I still like, “Fireflies”

Jun 05, 2012 at 06:36AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!