Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

307,418 total conversations in 9,163 threads

+ New Thread

Humans are amazing

Last posted Jun 11, 2012 at 03:02AM EDT. Added Jun 09, 2012 at 11:05AM EDT
40 posts from 24 users

No more, I am tired of hearing “Oh the whole world is going to Hell,” and “Humans are awful creatures.”

No we are an amazing creature, each and every one of use have purpose. We have done so much!

I mean, horrible people couldn’t have done this…

Or make music like this…

Or even make art like this…

Now this is directed to anyone in particular, it just depresses me that there are all these people who think these things…

I hope I made someone happy with this.

Last edited Jun 09, 2012 at 11:06AM EDT
Jun 09, 2012 at 11:05AM EDT

Iced Hot Chocolate wrote:

Mr . Rogers…
So…much…hhhnnnggg…

Last edited Jun 09, 2012 at 11:16AM EDT
Jun 09, 2012 at 11:16AM EDT

I know, right? gosh, I wish I was one.

In all seriousness, I do believe Humans have gone far, although how far until the end?

Jun 09, 2012 at 11:22AM EDT

The mechanisms/abblities which we all have but take for granted are amazing, like how our brains have the capacity to hold 10-100 terabytes of information.

We evolved into natures best long distance runners.

Finally, the potential of our minds is nothing short of amazing.

Jun 09, 2012 at 11:31AM EDT

Bah, there won’t be an end unless we start trying to make an end to us, or something entirely out of our control happens (The sun dieing, asteroid strike, something like that.)

Even a nuclear apocalypse could be survived. Radiation isn’t as dangerous as a lot of people think. If rats could survive and asteroid several miles in diameter striking the earth, I think we can survive a couple of major cities being blown to oblivion.

Sure there will be fallout, but it is not as dangerous as most people think. Only gamma radiation can even penetrate our skin effectively. Beta radiation is only a problem if you ingest it, and alpha radiation is only a problem in large amounts for a long amount of time.

Jun 09, 2012 at 11:33AM EDT

Honestly, the human mind facinates me more than almost anything, not to mention the amazing things the human body is capaple of. However, and I really don’t mean to troll, but Sturgeon’s Law states that 90% if everything is crap, and that sadly goes for humans to. However, since saying that the human population is huge is an understatement, it’s a big 10% of really good people who can do and create really good things out there.

Jun 09, 2012 at 11:37AM EDT

Jun 09, 2012 at 11:42AM EDT

Oh, another thing I have to say about doomsday people:

People once thought that bronze weapons and armor would be the end of civilization

Then they thought that iron would be

Then they thought that gunpowder weapons would be the end

Then they thought that poison gas would be the end

Then they thought tanks would be

Then planes, then bombs, then large-scale wars, and now they’re saying that nukes will be the end of civilization.

Who knows what the next thing will be that people will claim to be the end of civilization?

Jun 09, 2012 at 11:53AM EDT

@Lyre Heartstrings
Yeah me to--
Wait a minute…

Jun 09, 2012 at 03:52PM EDT

Lyra…you’re a pony. Always have been, always will. Now deal with it.
As for the humans being awesome, there are good ones and bad ones. Unfortunately, one million good ones do not make up for the rest of the 4.9 billion bad ones. Humans do have redeeming qualities, but the idiots and the corrupted overshadow them. So my answer:
I
JUST
DON’T
GIVE
A
FUCK

Let the corrupted ones destroy themselves, and then the good can show through. But until then, ignore and bide your time.

Jun 09, 2012 at 03:52PM EDT

Back Later wrote:

Lyra…you’re a pony. Always have been, always will. Now deal with it.
As for the humans being awesome, there are good ones and bad ones. Unfortunately, one million good ones do not make up for the rest of the 4.9 billion bad ones. Humans do have redeeming qualities, but the idiots and the corrupted overshadow them. So my answer:
I
JUST
DON’T
GIVE
A
FUCK

Let the corrupted ones destroy themselves, and then the good can show through. But until then, ignore and bide your time.

I beg your pardon? I have always been a human, starting from my 9 month pregnancy in my mother’s womb, and subsequent birth. Then I acquired the human skills of speech, bipedal locomotion, and eating both vegetable and animal material. I’ll admit that I’ve had trouble fitting in with some of the other humans at times, but I really do love each and every one of us humans out there, and you should to, Miss Grumpypants.

Jun 09, 2012 at 04:03PM EDT

Lest we forget about our good friend Captain Picard:

“I know Hamlet. And what he might say with irony, I say with conviction: ‘What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god!’”

Jun 09, 2012 at 04:07PM EDT

then there are people like this…It’s also “Amazing”.

Jun 09, 2012 at 04:26PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

then there are people like this…It’s also “Amazing”.

The thing is, these videos are not accurate depictions of the intelligence of those involved. They’re asking them trivia about things that nobody would know unless they were involved in the study of it.

I have no idea what the capitals of any states are except for California, does that make me unintelligent? No, it just means that I don’t want to waste my time with trying to memorize this stuff that I can look up any time, any place.

Jun 09, 2012 at 04:33PM EDT

Lol I just knew all of this stuff cause I pay attention to my surroundings.
My ability to remember is a remarkable thing.

Jun 09, 2012 at 04:42PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

The thing is, these videos are not accurate depictions of the intelligence of those involved. They’re asking them trivia about things that nobody would know unless they were involved in the study of it.

I have no idea what the capitals of any states are except for California, does that make me unintelligent? No, it just means that I don’t want to waste my time with trying to memorize this stuff that I can look up any time, any place.

I know the answer to those question and im an 18 year old kid living in another country.

“Canada? No, that’s a state never mind.”

Last edited Jun 09, 2012 at 05:01PM EDT
Jun 09, 2012 at 04:55PM EDT

Don’t forget man kinds greatest invention.
Video Games

Jun 09, 2012 at 05:01PM EDT

Yeah, but dinosaurs are better.

Jun 09, 2012 at 05:06PM EDT

Lyra Heartstrings wrote:

Indeed, I do enjoy being a human!

Oh great, another one.

Jun 09, 2012 at 05:16PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

Don’t forget man kinds greatest invention.
Video Games

No the transistor, wheel, and chocolate are definitely tied for the greatest invention.
Shut up, chocolate is an invention.

Jun 09, 2012 at 05:26PM EDT

404 user not found wrote:

I know the answer to those question and im an 18 year old kid living in another country.

“Canada? No, that’s a state never mind.”

… But ask them about anything they’re interested in, and they’ll answer perfectly.
Teenagers don’t care about the rest of the world, unless the rest of the world deals with pop culture.
Just like how if I asked you a question about a TV show you didn’t know, you’d probably not be able to answer correctly. If at all.

Jun 09, 2012 at 05:27PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

Oh, another thing I have to say about doomsday people:

People once thought that bronze weapons and armor would be the end of civilization

Then they thought that iron would be

Then they thought that gunpowder weapons would be the end

Then they thought that poison gas would be the end

Then they thought tanks would be

Then planes, then bombs, then large-scale wars, and now they’re saying that nukes will be the end of civilization.

Who knows what the next thing will be that people will claim to be the end of civilization?

Nanotechnology. It could end up devouring everything slowly, resulting in slow, painful deaths for organisms, and outright disappearance of anything that can make more nanites, assuming that we can make them more efficient than bacteria or viruses.

Jun 09, 2012 at 10:00PM EDT

This thread is still not positive enough about outlook and future of Humanity. But I have just the ticket.

Take it away Carl Sagan!

PS: Lyra, this should interest you.

Last edited Jun 09, 2012 at 10:30PM EDT
Jun 09, 2012 at 10:30PM EDT

I love being human, but just imagine…being a bird. You can watch the whole world with the flap of your wings, just don’t touch a wind turbine.

Jun 09, 2012 at 10:40PM EDT

I remember what I said before.

Humans in a nutshell:

We’re a bunch of determined idiots who occasionally get a good idea and build on it until we need to come up with something new.

Jun 10, 2012 at 01:27PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

I remember what I said before.

Humans in a nutshell:

We’re a bunch of determined idiots who occasionally get a good idea and build on it until we need to come up with something new.

CoD being made in a nutshell.

Jun 10, 2012 at 01:42PM EDT

I bet 5$ Internets that the any other civilization won’t be any better then us because evolution allowed us to become more like this. The most hostile or witty or strong survive.

It’s almost impossible to find a civilization with the same intelligence and advance technology as ours (in our universe at the least) that is peaceful and work together as we envision or hope to achieve. The only way to do that is by mind control but we all want free will though. (which comes to choosing between freedom or security).

So unless you find a civilization just as intelligent humans with freedom, but working together in peace and making technological progress. (WITH OUT TAKING AWAY FREE WILL OR HAVING OPPRESSION). It will be VERY VERY hard to find one with out acting in some ways like us due to the harsh environments or times that evolution has sent all living organisms through.

Jun 10, 2012 at 02:17PM EDT

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

… But ask them about anything they’re interested in, and they’ll answer perfectly.
Teenagers don’t care about the rest of the world, unless the rest of the world deals with pop culture.
Just like how if I asked you a question about a TV show you didn’t know, you’d probably not be able to answer correctly. If at all.

the fact that they can only answer anything about stuff they are interested in shows a narrow attention span, and lack of awareness of a certain degree. Im not interested in american politics, or history but i still know it. On top of that all the questions were things that they would have been taught in school, so they should have known most of the answers regardless of personal interest.

A teenager that can name every character on degrassi but cant answer basic knowledge questions like what countries border your own, or important ones like who is the vice president of your own country is just sad, and speaks poorly on the entire generation.

Last edited Jun 10, 2012 at 02:51PM EDT
Jun 10, 2012 at 02:47PM EDT

angstyHoodie OPERATOR wrote:

No more, I am tired of hearing “Oh the whole world is going to Hell,” and “Humans are awful creatures.”

No we are an amazing creature, each and every one of use have purpose. We have done so much!

I mean, horrible people couldn’t have done this…

Or make music like this…

Or even make art like this…

Now this is directed to anyone in particular, it just depresses me that there are all these people who think these things…

I hope I made someone happy with this.

You raised my hope in humanity for a while. But then I remembered this man…

…made this song:

Last edited Jun 10, 2012 at 03:43PM EDT
Jun 10, 2012 at 03:41PM EDT

Humans are interesting things.

A single human is practically useless. Malleable, weak, unstable, certainly not fit to survive in the world.

But gather a group of them, even a small group, and suddenly you have an unstoppable force. A force that has managed to dominate everything on this planet. A force that has skyrocketed us to superiority over this world.

A single person has little to no potential on his own. Adding another person increases that potential exponentially.

Jun 10, 2012 at 06:34PM EDT

Hrm.

Well I say,

Jun 10, 2012 at 09:24PM EDT

Iced Hot Chocolate wrote:

No the transistor, wheel, and chocolate are definitely tied for the greatest invention.
Shut up, chocolate is an invention.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t the thumb be considered the greatest human invention? Or am I mixing up something?

Jun 10, 2012 at 09:54PM EDT

Lyra Heartstrings wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t the thumb be considered the greatest human invention? Or am I mixing up something?

we didnt invent thumbs.

Jun 11, 2012 at 03:02AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!