Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Favorite Books?

Last posted Aug 10, 2012 at 09:50PM EDT. Added Aug 06, 2012 at 06:11PM EDT
35 posts from 30 users

Anything by Peter Chimaera.

May not be books, but they're always quite moving.

('course anything by Douglas Adams would work, too… I'm quite partial to Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.)

Last edited Aug 06, 2012 at 06:16PM EDT

I don't get to read much, but I'd like to get some more books from Douglas Adams or Chuck Palahniuk.

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is hilarious, and I skimmed through a few Palahniuk books after finding out he wrote Fight Club. The man writes some seriously crazy shit.

Crime & Punishment and The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky are both incredibly good books.

If you're in the mood for dystopian fiction, read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. It's the direct inspiration for 1984 by George Orwell and is much better, in my opinion.

This shit fucked up my tongue man
But really, it's nice to look back to when you were really young, sometimes sad. I get sad when I read though this:

Last edited Aug 06, 2012 at 09:13PM EDT

Slaughterhouse-Five or The Children's Crusade, a Duty Dance with Death

by Kurt Vonnegut, A fourth-generation German American now living in easy circumstances on Cape Cod [and smoking too much], deceased, so it goes, who, as an American infantry scout Hors de Combat, as a prisoner of war, witnessed the fire-bombing of Dresden, Germany, "The Florence of the Elbe", a long time ago, and survived to tell the tale.

This is a novel somewhat in the telegraphic schizophrenic manner of tales of the planet Tralfamadore, where Flying Saucers come from.

It begins like this: "Listen: Billy pilgrim has come unstuck in time."

It ends like this: "Poo-tee-weet?"

Peace.

Last edited Aug 06, 2012 at 09:25PM EDT

Cien años de soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude) by Gabriel García Márquez is pretty great. There's a lot of humour in the Spanish version that doesn't quite translate, but it's still a good read.

opspe wrote:

Cien años de soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude) by Gabriel García Márquez is pretty great. There's a lot of humour in the Spanish version that doesn't quite translate, but it's still a good read.

I was just recommended that book a little while ago. I'll look into it.

Also, what does everyone think of Hemingway?

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

So guys, I just got done with this book:

And it got me thinking about, well, a lot of stuff. Have you read anything lately that you really enjoyed? What are your favorite books ever?

Also, in b4 "gersberms."

Loved that one. DFTBA, perhaps?

@Zacharias Megahorn My Side of the Mountain is an incredible book.

But I think my all time favourite book would have to be Catch-22. Brilliant comedy and stomach churning tragedy that are to tightly woven you can hardly tell the difference.

Well I did read Percy Jackson & the Olympians by Rick Riordan, I was close to the end of the The Last Olympian but I stop reading for while, so I'm gonna start reading it again. Party Ponies FTW

And I read Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The frist 3 books they were pretty good but the plot of Dog Days was really boring, so I didn't bother reading The Ugly Truth. I disliked the Diary of a Wimpy Kid moive.

Last edited Aug 07, 2012 at 03:57AM EDT

Nikolaki8 wrote:

The Time Machine Did It.

Look it up, and buy it. Now.

^^^Love The Time Machine
Sci-Fi has always interested me and H.G. Wells is a very skilled writer. I also recently got into Dune. It's good, but the political stuff kind of bores me.

Last edited Aug 07, 2012 at 10:27AM EDT

Jack Candle wrote:

I'm a big fan of the Inheritance cycle, Eragon and all those.

I was a big fan until the last 60ish pages of the final book. Once the action ended, I just didn't care. It was obvious to me that Paolini (don't think I spelled it right, but you get the idea) was using Eragon (the character) to let us all know of his own personal beliefs, notably about God and politics. I didn't ask him nor did I really care about what his personal beliefs were, so I found that chunk of the book to be unnecessary and uninteresting.

Also, hearing every detail of Roran's plans those few times got old. It felt like I had to slog through those sections. Overall, I really enjoyed the series, I was just disappointed by its conclusion.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!