Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

305,971 total conversations in 8,817 threads

+ New Thread

People say, that "The big Bang Theory" is awful... why?

Last posted Aug 19, 2012 at 06:53AM EDT. Added Aug 16, 2012 at 05:00PM EDT
32 posts from 25 users

Hello everyone,

first things first, I’m german, therefor is english not my motherlanguage. So please don’t grammar nazi me.

Well, I noticed, that quite a lot english talking people out there state, that “The big bang Theory” series is awful and totally unfunny. And I don’t really get why that is. It’s not my favourite series, or I don’t hate anyone because they hate it, I just would like to hear one or another … not rageing explanation. If you get the meaning. Why? I never met a german person who said that the series is unfunny or anything.

Thank you :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:00PM EDT

I love the series, don’t think I ever heard of a person really hating it.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:05PM EDT

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/253876
to take an example that I just saw a half hour ago (Make sure to take a look at the comments).
It seems, that mostly “nerdy” people don’t like it, but I’m pretty nerdy, too.

But anyway, I bet, there are going to be a few haters here in no time :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:22PM EDT

Sheldon annoys the everliving crap out of me. “Oh, but he’s supposed to be that way!”
I don’t care. And I don’t know why a character is designed to be hated. He’s not someone I “love to hate,” I just can’t stand the guy.

Sorry to sound so….enthusiastic about my distaste for the character, but there’s my two cents.

Edit: TariC, you called it.

Last edited Aug 16, 2012 at 05:29PM EDT
Aug 16, 2012 at 05:28PM EDT

I like it.
How I Met Your Mother is still the best show, though. Smart writing, great acting, the whole thing.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:38PM EDT

TariC wrote:

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/253876
to take an example that I just saw a half hour ago (Make sure to take a look at the comments).
It seems, that mostly “nerdy” people don’t like it, but I’m pretty nerdy, too.

But anyway, I bet, there are going to be a few haters here in no time :)

One image does not make a lifetime of hate. Haters gonna hate and stuff, that’s all there is to it.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:39PM EDT

I personally love it and I get a good amount of jokes which are the more internet, comic, film and gaming sort of them while my older sister understands more of the jokes for everyone. Also it a annoys me that people get a clever joke think they are nerds or smart but that’s a rare thing.

Also Mack I like Sheldon because he’s designed to be different and almost inhuman and a lot of the jokes are based around that and how others around him bring out his actual emotions. So dislike for the character is understandable just the kind of humour and person you are.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:40PM EDT

The show has a laugh track. I hate shows like that. I laugh when I want to, dammit.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:53PM EDT

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

The show has a laugh track. I hate shows like that. I laugh when I want to, dammit.

They are not laugh effects.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:54PM EDT

I know some people that don’t like it, along with people that almost ruin the show with unnecessary fanboyism and drooling over Sheldon. However, it is a funny show, and I enjoy the type of humor it has. The Superhero Jokes are the best to me.

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:07PM EDT

While I have almost zero knowledge of the show, (Shows with actual humans. Ew.) I have heard people express their dislike for it because it “Cashes in” on nerd culture. That people who watch it aren’t “Real nerds” and don’t get the jokes. It’s in a similar to sense to Netizens not liking when the “Outside world” knows of their memes. In a semi-joking/poking fun at one’s self way, I like to say that people who live on the net are losers, take away their supposed superiority of their in-jokes and they have nothing. (Not really, obviously. Don’t get mad.)

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:11PM EDT

I haven’t seen too much of the show, so I can’t really say.

I don’t like the humor, and yet, something tells me my writing wouldn’t be any better.
I think it’s because they try to push it into people’s faces with that laugh track…
Either that, or the funny part about it is that you’re not supposed to get the jokes, which reminds me a lot of “RANDOM” humor. I hate random humor with a passion, but that’s another story for another time…

I just don’t like Sitcoms in general, unless it’s a cartoon, or is a parody.

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:17PM EDT

Thank you guys for the many responses :)
But the laugh track thing is in pretty much every show (at least in all american shows that are aired here in germany. And of course not in cartoons.) Which means, that all these shows would be hated with a passion… not just Big Bang Theory.
So, may I assert, that BBT is mostly hatet for it’s thematic and Sheldon? However, I now have the question, because “nerds” are offended or “normal people” simply don’t get the jokes?

@ RandomMan:
It’s not the only source, but I stumble on 9gag currently over “”%$/ the show is so unfunny!!!" and when someone in an online chat “Bazinga!” says the hating is going to start… It’s just a bit hard to link online chat conversations and pitures that are not tagged.

@ RegularMack
Yes, I did ;)

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:47PM EDT

I enjoy it very much. I find myself empathizing with the characters a little too much than I should.

I think the hate comes from generalization of Nerd stereotypes, e.g. can’t get laid, obsessed with comic books and video games to a fault, genius-level intellect, etc. Despite this, I still don’t think it’s a bad show.

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:34PM EDT

I’m just disappointed no one has punched Sheldon in the mouth yet. Other than him, it seems to be a pretty standard show.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:50PM EDT

Alejandro wrote:

I like it.
How I Met Your Mother is still the best show, though. Smart writing, great acting, the whole thing.

That show has lost its charm, imo. The last few seasons have presented an almost entirely different show than the one I fell in love with.

Still gonna watch the 8th season, but I gotta disagree with you right there for the most part.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:03PM EDT

Alejandro wrote:

I like it.

Don’t forget about Neil Patrick Harris.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:05PM EDT

Colmei wrote:

I simply cannot stand Sheldon, it’s just not very funny, and without the laugh track it’s just dumb.
Embedding disabled, but have fun.

Wow. That was… interesting.

Let me use this to explain why I think this show is stupid – not awful, mind you, but stupid, like the majority of live-action Disney sitcoms. It took me until the laugh track ended to realize that Sheldon receiving his N64 was a joke – and with the time that tape was silent, it was obviously supposed to be a really funny joke. I did not laugh, let alone crack a smile, during the whole video, and it only accentuates Sheldon’s douchiness. For that matter, I think I’ve maybe laughed twice watching this show – and one was a good brick joke and the other was a legitimately funny, non-Sheldon, nerd-stereotype-free joke.

Seriously, I would love to get an old N64.

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:27AM EDT

Love the show but we cannot expect everyone to love it.

Last edited Aug 17, 2012 at 08:09PM EDT
Aug 17, 2012 at 01:58AM EDT

Err…

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression they had an audience or something. I’ve seen blooper reels with laughter at them messing up.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:02AM EDT

TariC wrote:

Thank you guys for the many responses :)
But the laugh track thing is in pretty much every show (at least in all american shows that are aired here in germany. And of course not in cartoons.) Which means, that all these shows would be hated with a passion… not just Big Bang Theory.
So, may I assert, that BBT is mostly hatet for it’s thematic and Sheldon? However, I now have the question, because “nerds” are offended or “normal people” simply don’t get the jokes?

@ RandomMan:
It’s not the only source, but I stumble on 9gag currently over “”%$/ the show is so unfunny!!!" and when someone in an online chat “Bazinga!” says the hating is going to start… It’s just a bit hard to link online chat conversations and pitures that are not tagged.

@ RegularMack
Yes, I did ;)

It’s not the laugh track itself. It’s the fact that it pops up after nearly every sentence.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:25AM EDT

Guys at the end of one episode (i’ll find it again) they say that they do not use a laughing track.

It says this.

“This is our laughing track.”
And a picture of a audience.

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:54AM EDT

People just like to watch crime dramas or stupid sitcoms and reality shows and have a close minded sense of humor.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:59PM EDT

The big Bang Theory being awful?

Jersey Shore fans probably said that.

Anyway,this show is awesome and got better when the added Bernadette and Amy Farrah Fowler

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:06PM EDT

I feel like I’m the only one here that really enjoyed BBT and also admired Sheldon as a character. I find smart assholes interesting

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:22PM EDT

I like the jokes in the show itself and I find most of them relatable. Relatable jokes are always good in comedy (since its what makes jokes virtually all good; its human nature to find humor and a laugh in a joke about something one relates to) but Sheldon, in my opinion, is just not the real interpretation of how a modern nerd and/or geek acts in U.S. society. Of course, real interpretations with no exaggerations at all are bad for any comedy show but they just added a little too much with Sheldon in my opinion.

Creating a good comedy show is like chemistry, you can only add so much of certain things. To get a lasting formula, you need to find a equal balance of properties. That’s primarily why Seinfeld is still so memorable and liked today.

Last edited Aug 17, 2012 at 08:55PM EDT
Aug 17, 2012 at 08:27PM EDT

I love this show, and i used to find Sheldon funny, but now i dislike him. He annoys the shit out of me now.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:27PM EDT

sheldon is fucking annoying
the more he knows and the more he talks, the more he will be beaten up!

Aug 19, 2012 at 06:53AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!