Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Guys, Let's start a Kickstarter!

Last posted Sep 20, 2012 at 09:32PM EDT. Added Sep 17, 2012 at 11:56PM EDT
17 posts from 13 users

I think Know Your Meme should have a table at ComicCon. Technically, ComicCon covers all things in geek culture, and I definitely think KYM counts. Plus, it would be cool to go next year and see the staff there.

I guess asking for thoughts would be in order, so, thoughts?

Last edited Sep 17, 2012 at 11:58PM EDT

I think it might be a good idea only if the stars line up, so to speak.

• Does the staff want to go? And then go to sit at a table for the entire time?
  • Can the staff go? One of the reasons I don't really want to get a full-time job is because I won't have the freedom to just go and take a trip. I may want that vacation time to go to something else like a trip to see family or a vacation to somewhere else.
  • How would Cheezburger feel about us giving money to one of their entities?
    • I don't think most companies would turn down money, and they may be more likely to send the staff if they didn't have to pay for it.
    • But they may have some sort of stipulation that keeps them from accepting money or something.

In any case, I think it would be a good idea if the staff thinks it is. And that is if we could raise the money for them to go. Plane tickets, hotels, food, reserving a table (even for July of next year) might be difficult. And I don't know if Cheezburger will want KYM to post it on the front page. Asking for donations is so not gangsta.

(And if we were to do it without official word from KYM the site, then us trying to raise money without giving a link or an official statement from the tumblr, Twitter, or the front page might come off as sketchy.)

I don't think the fact that some people dislike KYM should keep them from going though. Not everyone likes Tim Buckley from Ctrl+Alt+Del, but I'm guessing he'll go anyway (I don't know I stopped reading his comic months ago lolz.)

Last edited Sep 18, 2012 at 01:33AM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

A lot of people have mixed feelings towards us so im not entirely sure if thats a good idea.

>Implying the Twilight movies have been at ComicCon every year

I'd love for us to have a table. I think it's a good idea and i would give money to get them there, and I would love to see the scientists… Who am I kidding, I'm a poor college student in the middle of Kansas. I can't afford to go to California and go to Comic Con.

And Mister J, I'm sure that would be an… interesting… panel.

Lolrus wrote:

Really? Did I miss something? Who doesn't like us?

The usual websites (4chan, EncyclopediaDramatica, etc), probably because we suck the mystery of what memes are and make it available to the public. Now instead experiencing what memes are themselves , anyone can come over here and search the database.

Also, it's probably because Cheezburger Network makes money out the internet culture, so go figure.

Last edited Sep 18, 2012 at 06:25AM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

The usual websites (4chan, EncyclopediaDramatica, etc), probably because we suck the mystery of what memes are and make it available to the public. Now instead experiencing what memes are themselves , anyone can come over here and search the database.

Also, it's probably because Cheezburger Network makes money out the internet culture, so go figure.

Indeed.

Mexx Android wrote:

>Implying the others hubs don't with all those ads they have running.

Personally I don't thinks its going to work because you have to factor how many people will be at comic-con who know about this. Also which comic-con (Mainly because I'm going to the London one but I doubt you mean there).

Spider-Byte wrote:

Personally I don't thinks its going to work because you have to factor how many people will be at comic-con who know about this. Also which comic-con (Mainly because I'm going to the London one but I doubt you mean there).

Nurrrrrrpe. San Diego Comic Con.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!