309,056 total conversations in 9,271 threads

+ New Thread

Your scariest moments in video games?

Last posted Feb 17, 2013 at 08:23PM EST. Added Jan 11, 2013 at 02:10AM EST
66 posts from 56 users

Torture chamber in Amnesia

shudder

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:10AM EST

The first time I ever faced a re-dead in Ocarina of Time.

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:11AM EST

The last moment I can think of was running through the cornfield on Black Ops 2 Zombies…

Don’t get me wrong, those things that jump out the ground are frightening at times.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:07AM EST

I played Dead Space and it got to the scene where a monster is trying to get into the elevator. I got so scared and ended up yelling, “THIS IS MY ELEVATOR, GET THE FUCK OUT!”.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:27AM EST

The Dead Hands from Ocarina of Time scared me as a kid as well.

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 03:37AM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 03:32AM EST

Nightmare House 2

The least threatening yet most frightening “enemy” in the game.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:41AM EST

The entirety of Silent Hill 2. I know that doesn’t really count as a ‘moment’, but shut up, it still counts.

To quote Yahtzee Croshaw:

“What it does best, and better than any other game I know, is atmosphere… This is the oppressive, crushing dread of being truly alone.”

For most of the game, you can’t see further than a few metres in front of yourself, and everything else is either completely shrouded in fog or hidden by the dark. The monsters in the game weren’t particularly difficult to kill, at least on reasonable difficulty settings, but they all hit the sweet spot between violently grotesque and disturbingly human, unlike the monsters in more recent Silent Hill titles.

Does seem quite as scary now, thanks to the outdated graphics, but it scared the shit out of me when I first played it.

(I spent a while trying to find a good gameplay video, but all I could find was speedrun walkthroughs or annoying Let’s Plays, so that shitty image will have to do. Blame YouTube.)

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:25AM EST

Speaking of mannequins…

In Bioshock, there is an area called Fort Frolic. It’s populated head to toe with plastered Splicers, but you can’t tell which are dead statues and which are living splicers until they begin to move.

There’s a section at the bottom-most level of the area, found after descending down a flight of stairs into a huge, unlit and flooded basement, empty save for a dozen or more statues. The only landmark standing out is the glowing of a Tonic in the far corner of the room.

You make your way over to it, the only audible sound the echoing splash of your own feet hitting the water. You reach the tonic and pick it up, viewing a quick tutorial on what it does.

You turn around… and something’s different. It’s almost imperceptible, but all the statues seem rearranged and slightly closer. It’s not likely to bubble into your conscious mind, but it’s just enough to make you uneasy.

You begin to make your way back across the flooded basement to the entrance of the room, but as you listen to the sound of your footsteps, they seem different.

You turn around, and the dozen statues have been following you since you began to leave the room.

I’ve played many games before, and I’ve played Bioshock through numerous times, but to this day that’s the only thing in a game that actually terrifies frightens me.

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 05:31AM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 05:27AM EST

The part of Amnesia: The Dark Descent when the elevator fails and you have to enter the dungeon area.

I didn’t even go in at first, and I was terrified I had next to no lantern oil.

The completely blackness of the hallway, contrasted by the brightness of the torches next to the door. It was horrifying, I didn’t want to go in, even though I knew my eyesight would adjust in a few seconds, I didn’t want to step into the darkness. It took me an hour of jumping around like an idiot on the lion statues before I went in.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:24PM EST

MY scariest moment? When I came back from the dead with a creepy long neck and started trying to bite that kid in the green tunic who was trespassing in the bottom of my well.

Too bad he took my magic lens of truth afterward.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:30PM EST

Try being surrounded by three of these:

armed with only a few shotguns

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 01:02PM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 01:01PM EST

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:08PM EST

Ambushes can really spoil my jimmys.

And then theres this one time in eve online where I was in a roam when inferno came out a while ago then suddenly out of nowhere FREAKING STEALTH BOMBERS KILLED OUR WHOLE FLEET!
Oh god… Those Bombers… The terror…

Also when I bought Arma 2 when my brother want to play DayZ with me, I tryied the base game and I can’t help but jump everything I was suddenly in a firefight, it was like I was playing paintball holy crap, but those zombies in dayz, having a zombie a yard close to you hiding a bush… Oh my god…

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 04:25PM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 04:18PM EST

This bear was absolutely frightening because, the first time playing through, you had no idea where to go or what to do.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:24PM EST

Well the first time I played left 4 dead I was a bit scared, not about the zombies but the thing that had be jumping around was the music that plays every time you get pounced by the Hunter. Anyways, I was playing No Mercy and suddenly I see a car flying out of nowhere, music playing in the background and this giant ass zombie punching Bill to his death
Sure, now after beating every campaign in both left 4 dead 1 and 2 I laugh when I remember this

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:39PM EST

The Toluca Prison Gallows. You have to run across a courtyard to a door while hearing the noise of some unseen monster stomping and furiously galloping hooves. Neither of them appear, but that doesn’t stop you from flipping the fuck out if you run to somewhere the door isn’t.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:00PM EST
The “Get Out” from DK64"

Oh gods I remember that. Used to scare the living daylights out of me. I never went near that goddamned temple.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:27PM EST

amnesia: the dark decent, the most scariest moment of my life. first time encountering this mother fucker

mfw he chased me down and killed me in my first play-through

mind you i was playing it in 2 o’clock at night in my basement with no lights, sounds and a pair of dj headphones.
But it goes to show you how amazing this game is.

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:14PM EST

I agree with Rambo 01 amnesia, the dark decent I have to say was a bloody scary game.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:20PM EST

I mean, It’s not that scary now, but It scared the shit out of me when I was younger.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:27PM EST

For those that haven’t played the first Spyro game, that big-ass metal beetle spider thing is fast, territorial, and invincible to all of your attacks. They only appear in one level, littering a particular cave. There is a power-up you can use to kill them…at the very back of said cave. Freaking terrifying as a kid. ;_;

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:47PM EST

Has to be the juggernauts in modern warfare 2. Or, more specifically, the music that comes when they appear on the map.

When you hear that, you don’t know where one (or more) is coming from, or how much time you have to prepare.

All you know is that somebody encased head-to-toe in bulletproof armor with a heavy machine gun who’s probably high off his ass on PCP or some shit is coming for you and won’t stop unless you put him down. With bullets. Lots and lots of bullets.

( although, in mw3 they were disappointing, just how pathetic they were compared to the nearly immortal warriors they were in mw2)

Last edited Jan 12, 2013 at 09:30PM EST
Jan 12, 2013 at 09:29PM EST

Jyron Stone wrote:

For those that haven’t played the first Spyro game, that big-ass metal beetle spider thing is fast, territorial, and invincible to all of your attacks. They only appear in one level, littering a particular cave. There is a power-up you can use to kill them…at the very back of said cave. Freaking terrifying as a kid. ;_;

Oh. My. God….

I remember them. Aren’t so scary now, but I always hated bugs as a kid.

My uncle had a scorpion farm and I got stung by one (1993-ish).

It hurt so bad.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:26AM EST

If I had played Earthbound, I would go with Giygas. Sadly, I had it spoiled. But I would choose these:

This game was close to being a survival horror. Everytime you hear that fucking buildup music, you say “I’m screwed.”, but eventually you have to run away from her, because she takes about 2 energy tanks in a fucking shot while that hellish music plays in the background.

This game is always going to be scary because of it’s infinite replay value. You don’t know when or where he’s going to appear, and the notes sometimes switch places. I’m sure that in 20 years, this game is still going to be remembered.

This might seem stupid, but you encounter this mythological polygonal creature that can kill you in one hit. From this point forward, the game gets a bit scarier because you are in a fucking cave, full of hellish creatures from Lovercraft’s twisted mind, and find a book from the main antagonist telling you that he will sacrifice you in order to rule the world along with Cthulhu and who knows what other monster. That also explains this damned game over screen:

I played this game not so long ago, yet it was scary for me despite the music and some sound effects.
Game over screens in the 90’s where fucked up.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:51AM EST

My scariest moment was in Half LIfe 2 Episode One, in the level “LowLife”. Is dark, is full of zombies, headcrabs, antlions, you can’t see anything and you have the first encounter with the Zombine, a combie infected with the headcrab. That thing run and use a granade like a kamikaze

Jan 13, 2013 at 04:26AM EST

I think I’ll have to go with the first encounter with a Licker, from Resident Evil 2. I know that there have been many equally scary moments, such as the “wall hands” from RE2, and the “strange radio” scene from the first Silent Hill.

The reason I remember this scene so well, is probably the fact that I was about 10 years old when I played through it. I always got through the streets of Raccoon City, but when I got to the Police Station, then things always got scary.

First I get to the room where can I see the Licker skittering quickly past the window. I had no idea what it was, so I stared at the window for a while, and then…

Reset.

Later I got there for the second time, waited for a bit longer before the window, and finally…

Reset.

Then I got through the actual door leading to the next hallway, and while I was on the loading screen…

Reset.

Next time, I got to the first frame of the hallway, waited for a bit, and then…

Reset.

And after that, I got one frame further, ’til I noticed the dripping sound on the background, and…

Reset.

After all this, I got to the dead police officer, and noticed the blood dripping from the ceiling…

Reset.

And after even more tries, I got to the Licker cutscene, and as soon as I saw the damn thing…

That’s right. Reset.

And finally, after several attempts across several days, I got through all this, and the Licker actually dropped before m-

RESET RESET RESET RESET RESET RESET!!!!

Good times, good times. Even though it was scary as hell back then.

Last edited Jan 13, 2013 at 06:02AM EST
Jan 13, 2013 at 05:52AM EST

skip to 7:54, that one scene in Twilight Princess……..gave me goosebumps for days ;_;

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:20PM EST

In Return to Zork, when you die by a grue. It wasn’t just the laugh of the villain that scared me, but the fact that after the blackness the window in the cathedral with the coffin shoes these 2 eyes.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:29PM EST

Playing the new map in MVM as a heavy and being chased by 100 spies.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:44PM EST

That one moment when you play Toejam and Earl, and you go to get a package from a mailbox,

GUESS WHAT, MOTHERFUCKER

THAT SHIT’S ALIVE

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:00PM EST

Jurel wrote:

Has to be the juggernauts in modern warfare 2. Or, more specifically, the music that comes when they appear on the map.

When you hear that, you don’t know where one (or more) is coming from, or how much time you have to prepare.

All you know is that somebody encased head-to-toe in bulletproof armor with a heavy machine gun who’s probably high off his ass on PCP or some shit is coming for you and won’t stop unless you put him down. With bullets. Lots and lots of bullets.

( although, in mw3 they were disappointing, just how pathetic they were compared to the nearly immortal warriors they were in mw2)

If I’m understanding this correctly, you’re scared of a guy that is wearing a bomb suit?
No, just no.

I think all of you know who this fucker is.

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:11PM EST

BalisticDerr wrote:

WHEREVER YOU GO, THEY WILL BE THERE.

THEY’RE IN THE CUPBOARDS!!!

Holy shit…
THEY’VE BROUGHT THE ENTIRE FUCKING GOOMBA ARMY!!!!!!!!

Last edited Jan 14, 2013 at 10:31PM EST
Jan 14, 2013 at 10:29PM EST

Son, you ever been attacked by a cougar?

You see, back in 1911, I was walkin’ down a trail in New Austin – I was running a grueling pace and my horse had died a couple hours back from exhaustion – when out of nowhere, this giant cat pounced on me. Didn’t even have time to pull out my gun. It hit me so hard I was on the edge of death. So I get back up, and just as I unholster my revolver, the cursed creature turns around for another pass! I didn’t let it get another chance to hit me, though, since I unloaded four shots in its head while it was still building up speed.

But I wasn’t out of danger yet – oh no, I wasn’t even close. Suddenly, I heard a snarl behind me – its mate had come along, and now it was out to kill me, too. Just as it pounced, I rolled to my left, giving me just enough time to pull my shotgun off of my back. It didn’t even have the chance at another pass – everyone knew John Marston was one of the fastest draws in New Austin, with any weapon. Before it had even turned ‘round, I’d unloaded both barrels into its side. I got out of that scrape alive, but only barely.

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:29PM EST

Mr. Bones’ Wild Ride
The ride never ends!

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:08AM EST

The first time in COD4 when you’re carrying MacMillian and the dogs attack and lunge at you inside the tall building.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:21AM EST

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

Any part of Batman and the Argonauts.

3spooky5me

Oh, yes. A million times yes.
-
As for me, I’m a giant fucking wuss, guys. I can’t play a horror game without someone on my side. So I can’t really say much.I can’t say which games scared but I can say a lot that unnerved me. Just creepy, you know?

However the scariest moments I’ve ever had were in ANY video game the water levels or when there was water in the a level.

Why? Because you never know what might attack or even KILL you at any moment and you didn’t have power to stop them. It gave a helpless feeling. Like I couldn’t fight them.

Also, Batman: Arkham Asylum. Sewer Level. Killer Croc.

Jan 20, 2013 at 01:38AM EST

Every Silent Hill games.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:25AM EST

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

Any part of Batman and the Argonauts.

3spooky5me

I hate How if you kill them in that Batman Arkham Asylum and later in the game they are all piled up. * shiddle * * shudder *

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:09AM EST

Asura, The Anti-Fun wrote:

amnesia: the dark decent, the most scariest moment of my life. first time encountering this mother fucker

mfw he chased me down and killed me in my first play-through

mind you i was playing it in 2 o’clock at night in my basement with no lights, sounds and a pair of dj headphones.
But it goes to show you how amazing this game is.

Oh hey, check it out, a walking vagina.
And to be on topic, I haven’t really played many horror-themed games, so mine is this:

Even when I’m not the one playing, I still manage to jump a bit. I know, I suck.

Last edited Feb 03, 2013 at 01:17PM EST
Feb 03, 2013 at 12:58PM EST

Rayman 2: The Great Escape (Nintendo 64 ver.)
The Sanctuary of Fire and Lava (i believe that’s what the level’s called)
There’s this room you have to go through
Only 1 enemy
It’s one of those cyclops ball things from the Cave of Bad Dreams
But instead of shooting fireballs at you, it hides behind the pillars
Going around the pillar it’s behind will just cause it to circle around the pillar
The only way to coax it out is to turn your back
Due to the nature of the game, the camera turns around too

This was when I was about 10 years old; I had nightmares about the encounter for months afterward

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:58PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!