Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

What would you do to turn KYM into a Police state?

Last posted Feb 14, 2013 at 09:04PM EST. Added Feb 14, 2013 at 12:56AM EST
30 posts from 26 users

Passive somewhat possible answer: I'd enforce that all posts in Meme Research and Site Related must be constructive.

Aggressive answer: all posts that use 'le' both unironically and ironically get deleted.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 08:05PM EST

Lock every thread in JFF that I did not personally enjoy.

One would have to pay taxes, in the form of karma, to the forum lord. Don't have enough Karma? We created a special prison camp sub forum for your type to post in until you have enough to pay what you owe.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 01:11AM EST

Users who often go to KYM to negatively criticize entries or a certain staff member like Don, Amanda, and/or Brad will be given a warning or two followed by a ban.

Anyone who tries to derail a thread instantly has their hands removed via rusty hacksaw and jammed into their pancreas.

A three strikes system would be implemented, minor rule infringements that don't warrant a ban would place a red check next to a user's name that would last one week, if three gathered up it would equate to a short ban, however successive bans would get longer.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 01:07AM EST

First off, I'd make users and moderators more accountable.

• If you make a thread that's against the rules, then you get an informal warning/formal warning/ban (depending upon offense and severity of offense).
  • If you make a entry that isn't proper for the purposes of KYM, then you get an informal warning/formal warning/ban.
  • If you upload an image improperly (i.e., no source, no tags/insufficient tags, not spoilered, X-rated) then you get an informal warning/formal warning/ban.
  • If you break a rule outside of these areas (e.g., wall posts, via PM), then you're subjected to the same regimen of moderation.
  • Each rule offense has its own "regimen." An informal warning for first making a redundant thread would not lead to a formal warning for the first offense of making an improper entry.
  • A situation where it's not obvious that a rule was broken (e.g., the redundant thread is deemed to be redundant, but it's not obviously redundant) can result in several informal warnings or no warnings at all. Moderation or the user would simply need to correct the issue
    • (I tend to function like that in regards to images. If an image is borderline NSFW, and it's not spoilered, I may spoiler it without warning the user. It would be more problematic to frustrate the user for something that could be perceived one way or another based upon the rules/if the rules aren't clear on the content.)

There would be anonymous moderators/janitors and tagging moderators

• A potential moderator should serve well as a janitor before becoming a moderator. Being active when needed in using powers and/or participating in moderator conversations related to them would be "grading" criteria.
  • It would help prevent any one moderator from being perceived as "too strict." or being too lenient.
  • It would also assess whether or not a user is serious about helping the site or if they just want the title.
  • Should the janitor be found out to have told another user that they are a janitor, then they simply lose their powers. There wouldn't be any other punishment.
  • If the janitor abuses their powers, they'd be subject to the same regimen as a moderator.
  • Tagging moderators would be like image moderators, but would only be able to tag any image instead of deleting or moving the image.
    • Alternatively, there would be more emphasis on finding image moderators.
    • Media moderators (image and tagging) would be chosen based on how well they tag images, how frequently they tag images, and (perhaps more importantly) how widely they tag and upload images.
      • But perhaps larger image galleries may need media moderators who actually spend a bulk of their time in those galleries, because those galleries require a bulk of the moderation anyway.
  • I'd change the karma system, so that moderators can see who gives out karma (possibly users can see it as well, but it may cause a lot of drama that way.) A user who's seen to be distributing karma improperly would be subject to an offending regimen (i.e., informal warning, formal warning, ban.)
  • Moderators who break the rules don't get informal warnings. They were chosen in part for knowing the rules, so that should be assumed. They should also exercise more restraint and cooperation
    • They get formal warnings/bans/bans and demotion or loss of powers.
    • Banning a user or otherwise using powers improperly is a rule moderators have to abide by with offenses following breaking other rules.
  • I'd split JFF into two boards:
    • One where organization is null and void and certain rules of the site no longer apply (i.e., staying on topic, posting redundant threads, advertising your own content as long as it doesn't lead to a sketchy sites) called "Random" or "Anarchy." Something like that.
      • If someone derails your thread, then so be it. But nothing is locked, edited, or moved by moderators.
    • One where the site rules all still apply, but is more about games, projects, and stuff like that. Something that's fun and more whimsical as opposed to discussion-based (General), and something that's more organized that "shitposting" (Random.)

Properly uploaded images would need:

• To spoiler based on NSFW criteria
  • To spoiler based on show-based/movie-based/book-based spoilers that haven't been officially and publicly aired yet.
  • To tag based on the set of commonly accepted tags (i.e., if the list in the forum thread does not include your tag, then you must at least post what tag you're going to use. It doesn't need to be approved by anyone, but if it is deemed redundant or otherwise inappropriate or insufficient, then it needs to be removed from the images you've uploaded.
    • Joke tags would be fine as long as the descriptive tags are still there as well.
  • Previous tagged images before this implementation should be changed by image moderators and tagging moderators.

Site rules would apply to the IRC. Like. As they are written. (Or at least I would give a warning that the IRC has a different set of rules or different channels have a different set of rules.)

Yes, I am having fun with this. Why do you ask?

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 04:09PM EST

Verbose wrote:

First off, I'd make users and moderators more accountable.

• If you make a thread that's against the rules, then you get an informal warning/formal warning/ban (depending upon offense and severity of offense).
  • If you make a entry that isn't proper for the purposes of KYM, then you get an informal warning/formal warning/ban.
  • If you upload an image improperly (i.e., no source, no tags/insufficient tags, not spoilered, X-rated) then you get an informal warning/formal warning/ban.
  • If you break a rule outside of these areas (e.g., wall posts, via PM), then you're subjected to the same regimen of moderation.
  • Each rule offense has its own "regimen." An informal warning for first making a redundant thread would not lead to a formal warning for the first offense of making an improper entry.
  • A situation where it's not obvious that a rule was broken (e.g., the redundant thread is deemed to be redundant, but it's not obviously redundant) can result in several informal warnings or no warnings at all. Moderation or the user would simply need to correct the issue
    • (I tend to function like that in regards to images. If an image is borderline NSFW, and it's not spoilered, I may spoiler it without warning the user. It would be more problematic to frustrate the user for something that could be perceived one way or another based upon the rules/if the rules aren't clear on the content.)

There would be anonymous moderators/janitors and tagging moderators

• A potential moderator should serve well as a janitor before becoming a moderator. Being active when needed in using powers and/or participating in moderator conversations related to them would be "grading" criteria.
  • It would help prevent any one moderator from being perceived as "too strict." or being too lenient.
  • It would also assess whether or not a user is serious about helping the site or if they just want the title.
  • Should the janitor be found out to have told another user that they are a janitor, then they simply lose their powers. There wouldn't be any other punishment.
  • If the janitor abuses their powers, they'd be subject to the same regimen as a moderator.
  • Tagging moderators would be like image moderators, but would only be able to tag any image instead of deleting or moving the image.
    • Alternatively, there would be more emphasis on finding image moderators.
    • Media moderators (image and tagging) would be chosen based on how well they tag images, how frequently they tag images, and (perhaps more importantly) how widely they tag and upload images.
      • But perhaps larger image galleries may need media moderators who actually spend a bulk of their time in those galleries, because those galleries require a bulk of the moderation anyway.
  • I'd change the karma system, so that moderators can see who gives out karma (possibly users can see it as well, but it may cause a lot of drama that way.) A user who's seen to be distributing karma improperly would be subject to an offending regimen (i.e., informal warning, formal warning, ban.)
  • Moderators who break the rules don't get informal warnings. They were chosen in part for knowing the rules, so that should be assumed. They should also exercise more restraint and cooperation
    • They get formal warnings/bans/bans and demotion or loss of powers.
    • Banning a user or otherwise using powers improperly is a rule moderators have to abide by with offenses following breaking other rules.
  • I'd split JFF into two boards:
    • One where organization is null and void and certain rules of the site no longer apply (i.e., staying on topic, posting redundant threads, advertising your own content as long as it doesn't lead to a sketchy sites) called "Random" or "Anarchy." Something like that.
      • If someone derails your thread, then so be it. But nothing is locked, edited, or moved by moderators.
    • One where the site rules all still apply, but is more about games, projects, and stuff like that. Something that's fun and more whimsical as opposed to discussion-based (General), and something that's more organized that "shitposting" (Random.)

Properly uploaded images would need:

• To spoiler based on NSFW criteria
  • To spoiler based on show-based/movie-based/book-based spoilers that haven't been officially and publicly aired yet.
  • To tag based on the set of commonly accepted tags (i.e., if the list in the forum thread does not include your tag, then you must at least post what tag you're going to use. It doesn't need to be approved by anyone, but if it is deemed redundant or otherwise inappropriate or insufficient, then it needs to be removed from the images you've uploaded.
    • Joke tags would be fine as long as the descriptive tags are still there as well.
  • Previous tagged images before this implementation should be changed by image moderators and tagging moderators.

Site rules would apply to the IRC. Like. As they are written. (Or at least I would give a warning that the IRC has a different set of rules or different channels have a different set of rules.)

Yes, I am having fun with this. Why do you ask?

No posts with more than 100 words.

Philip J. Fry wrote:

Ban everyone and have the site redirect to 9gag.

Make a Philip a staff member. Totally knows what he's doing.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!