Forums / Fun! / Memeory Lane

63,534 total conversations in 189 threads

Locked Locked
[Forum Games] I'd like to play a game, JFF.

Last posted Apr 02, 2013 at 01:00AM EDT. Added Mar 23, 2013 at 12:59AM EDT
58 posts from 19 users

I'm willing to share a great secret of mine. But to do so straight out would be boring. So, let's play a game, JFF.

I will leave you with some riddles. The answers to these riddles will lead you to some threads in which I have edited in a secret word. These words will be found in my posts only. They will be clues to my grand secret. After all these words have been found, I'll share my secret.

Here's the first riddle.

"A thread of yuletide joy.
Appearance changes for both girl and boy.
The creator, a shocking choice.
A spiteful one, gives a cheery voice."

Post the word here to move on to the next one.

Also, I wanted to let you all know that my attendance here will be a little sporadic but I'm gonna try to keep up with this as much as I can.

Also, if this is too difficult, let me know. I'd like for you all to be able to solve them.

April Fools

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 07:07AM EDT

I'm ready for this.

Yuletide Joy – Christmas/the Holiday Season, obviously.
Appearance Changes for girls/boys – Christmas Avatars.
Creator/Shocking choice – The most recent one of this threads was created by Jack Candle, a man who acts like he is an orange.
Spiteful one/cheery voice – Judging by the posters in the thread, Fridge Logic.

This means that there was a post in the Christmas avatars thread that was edited, but I don't know which one and I can't figure out how Fridge works into the equation. There must be a connection somewhere, but I'm just not seeing it (or I'm horribly wrong).

Edit: This thread has captured my (sleep-deprived) mind for some reason. I have to solve this riddle. I don't know why, I just have to.

Last edited Mar 23, 2013 at 01:30AM EDT

@Vlad
Bob hasn't posted in that thread at all, the only edits are in his posts. Best way to go about this is to sift through all of his posts until you find the right one
Most likely around December or other holidays, although the other bits of the riddle may be hints towards the word itself rather than the post containing it

Sunhammer wrote:

@Vlad
Bob hasn't posted in that thread at all, the only edits are in his posts. Best way to go about this is to sift through all of his posts until you find the right one
Most likely around December or other holidays, although the other bits of the riddle may be hints towards the word itself rather than the post containing it

I spent fifteen minutes sifting through that thread because I missed those instructions.

Fuck.

Sunhammer wrote:

@Vlad

Incorrect, as Bob has posted in the Christmas avatar thread from one year earlier. Vlad's deduction was very correct. With that in mind, I found his post, here's a link to it.

The word he added is "Law".

Last edited Mar 24, 2013 at 12:18AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Incorrect, as Bob has posted in the Christmas avatar thread from one year earlier. Vlad's deduction was very correct. With that in mind, I found his post, here's a link to it.

The word he added is "Law".

"Law" probably refers to something notable in the past dealing with SOPA/CISPA/PIPA or a similar piece of legislation. Because of the nature of these threads, the post is probably in General, but (though unlikely) could also be in Just For Fun.

Edit: SOPA/PIPA General was a dead end, because Bob didn't post in it. Therefore, it must be one of the smaller of more recent threads dealing with similar issues. "Four Amendment Exclusion Zone" also does not count, for the same reasons.

Last edited Mar 23, 2013 at 06:19PM EDT

Right, I should have mentioned that I will be leaving new riddles in this thread after the word is revealed. Sorry about that.

Time for a new riddle:

Done to anger, his actions are.
every trick, a little bizarre.
a thread made with alarming name
response was quick to keep things tame.

Thinking up these riddles is definitely challenging. Maybe I should stop trying to make them rhyme. Anyway, if you know how to approach this riddle, I think this can be solved pretty quickly.

Last edited Mar 23, 2013 at 10:08PM EDT

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Right, I should have mentioned that I will be leaving new riddles in this thread after the word is revealed. Sorry about that.

Time for a new riddle:

Thinking up these riddles is definitely challenging. Maybe I should stop trying to make them rhyme. Anyway, if you know how to approach this riddle, I think this can be solved pretty quickly.

This one was a little tougher.

Done to anger/his actions are – A troll.
Every trick/A little bizarre – Somebody who often posts bizarre/pointless "joke" threads.
Thread/Alarming name – A thread with a name designed to draw attention to itself.
Response was quick/keep things tame: Cringe General. Edited by Bob to have a NSFW tag.

Edit: Bob hasn't edited any posts in cringe general, so we can count it out.

Last edited Mar 23, 2013 at 11:37PM EDT

So knowing it was a Dear thread, the first line made it obvious it was a troll with a reputation, with the last line making it obvious it was quickly locked. Digging through them, I found an old one by Troll King directed to me.

And as expected, I was correct. The word is "Tale".

Last edited Mar 24, 2013 at 12:21AM EDT

Law and tale. What could Bob be alluding to? The story of a law such as SOPA, or the story of the rule of law and state of government somewhere?

Edit: Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting chapter of "Vlad makes Vague Conjectures!"

Last edited Mar 24, 2013 at 12:41AM EDT

Anyone else considering the posibility that Bob might just be sending us on a wild goose chase? As in, after a few weeks, at which point dozens of users will have joined in this hunt, he'll get tired of playing around and be like:
"Oh, by the way, all these words I've edited into my old posts are just some bullshit I found floating in my alphabet soup. No rhyme or reason whatsoever. Why? Because fuck you, that's why."
I only say this because that sounds exactly like something I would do.

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Anyone else considering the posibility that Bob might just be sending us on a wild goose chase? As in, after a few weeks, at which point dozens of users will have joined in this hunt, he'll get tired of playing around and be like:
"Oh, by the way, all these words I've edited into my old posts are just some bullshit I found floating in my alphabet soup. No rhyme or reason whatsoever. Why? Because fuck you, that's why."
I only say this because that sounds exactly like something I would do.

Eh, I just like riddles. I don't really care if it leads to a joke or a story, it's just a fun change from the regular "User above you is X" threads.

That being said:

Alright, time for another riddle… Let's hope I can continue to pull off a rhyming scheme, because I like rhyming.

A friendly thread, fitting so.
A fun discussion of friend and foe.
Obscure to some is its content
Where a fandom does represent.

… I hope this one makes sense.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Alright, time for another riddle… Let's hope I can continue to pull off a rhyming scheme, because I like rhyming.

A friendly thread, fitting so.
A fun discussion of friend and foe.
Obscure to some is its content
Where a fandom does represent.

… I hope this one makes sense.

The last two lines make me think it's gonna be a post in like The Homestuck general or something.

It's Camaraderie, from this post in the thread titled:

Friendship with the users of Know Your Meme: You'll be banned for posting Homestuck edition

So yeah. Homestuck.

Last edited Mar 24, 2013 at 10:38PM EDT

opspe wrote:

Friendship with the users of Know Your Meme: You'll be banned for posting Homestuck edition

So yeah. Homestuck.

opspe wrote:

So yeah. Homestuck.

I think the word is actually "ladders".

It seems the last one was solved quickly… I guess it's time to change things up a bit. Bonus time: Another riddle for the night.

Done for fun, this thread was made.
His first thread ever and so he prayed,
That others would enjoy his joke.
And so the big black man, he spoke.

Well, there it is… I think I'm going to take a break for the night. These rhymes are racking my brains. Sorry if this isn't a good one.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

It seems the last one was solved quickly… I guess it's time to change things up a bit. Bonus time: Another riddle for the night.

Done for fun, this thread was made.
His first thread ever and so he prayed,
That others would enjoy his joke.
And so the big black man, he spoke.

Well, there it is… I think I'm going to take a break for the night. These rhymes are racking my brains. Sorry if this isn't a good one.

This thread, and the word is "Illegal", am I right? What tipped me off was last sentence and I was immediately reminded of the thread when Verbose started impersonating Samuel L. Jackson, and also by the post edit, which was an hour ago.

Alright, time for another edition of Riddles with Bob.

A user mixed with good and bad,
His attempts have been called sad.
To find this thread, one must act.
and use their views of plain sight fact.

Insert comment here.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Insert comment here.

The first half makes me think you're talking about me :(

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Is the current riddle too vague? Too difficult? Or is there something else wrong with it?

I could change it if you guys want me to.

Most of these are from before I started being active in the forums, so I think it may simply be because my background knowledge is rather weak in this situation. Wait for RandomMan or opspe to give it their try before worrying, though. If they can't figure it out, the riddle might be a little bit too vague.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Insert comment here.

Vlad is on the case.

Mixed good/bad – A controversial user, look for karma around zero and below.
Sad attempts – Multiple locked/ignored threads
To find this thread/one must act – A thread that didn't gain much popularity when it was first introduced and became buried. Perhaps, it was locked.
Use/plain sight fact – The answer is obvious once you find it. Referring to "hidden in plain sight," obviously.

Last edited Mar 27, 2013 at 12:12AM EDT

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Insert comment here.

• A user mixed with good and bad, his attempts have been called sad.

Thus, a troll.

• To find this thread, one must act.

The thread involves acting.

• And use their views of plain sight fact.

This is some clue regarding the nature of the acting. 'Plain sight' indicates something about the forum. Acting + forum = acting as other users?

Why, yes. There was a thread a while ago where we pretended to be other users. I recall doing a rather perfect BSOD impression, and someone did a near-perfect impression of Citation.

Turns out it was Bob.

Our word of the day is: HIDING.

Law, Tale, Camaraderie, Illegal, and Hiding. Interesting.

A story of a group hiding from the law after doing something illegal? A story about people hiding from a government attempting to enforce a law that they feel is unjust and the camaraderie they build during it?

Alright, I guess the last one was too difficult. Personally, I blame myself for that. Sorry, I'll just try harder on this one.

This thread does live now,
though not it's first bow.
The answer you seek,
is rather antique.
The desires we wish can horribly change.
With simple backlashes, become surprisingly strange.

I hope this one is good. Please let me know if you're having difficulty with this one.

Edit: I changed a line because this rhyme is better.

Last edited Mar 28, 2013 at 11:57PM EDT

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Alright, I guess the last one was too difficult. Personally, I blame myself for that. Sorry, I'll just try harder on this one.

though not it's first bow.
The answer you seek,
is rather antique.

I hope this one is good. Please let me know if you're having difficulty with this one.

Edit: I changed a line because this rhyme is better.

Live now/first bow – A thread with multiple installments. Pony general comes to mind.
Answer you seek/rather antique – A very old post in one of the pony general threads.
The desires we wish can horribly changes – A user's simple wish becomes corrupted somehow, leading to…
With simple backlashes/suprisingly strange – A bizarre form of revenge that somehow involved Bob? Interesting, very interesting.

This is going to be a difficult one to find. There are what, five-six pony generals? Without a specific date on the "antique answer," somebody is going to have to sift through them all.

@Vlad
I doubt it's Pony General. There's only one thread alive right now, and that's Pony General VI. Checking Bob's posts there, it's not that thread.

Now to guess the game's reward.
Not a status, but an award.
Something that will let us see,
something to give users glee.

Last edited Aug 28, 2014 at 08:48PM EDT

Sonata Dusk wrote:

@Vlad
I doubt it's Pony General. There's only one thread alive right now, and that's Pony General VI. Checking Bob's posts there, it's not that thread.

Now to guess the game's reward.
Not a status, but an award.
Something that will let us see,
something to give users glee.

Then it probably refers to Hurt/Heal, which is the only other thread I can think of off the top of my head that has multiple installments.

though not it’s first bow.
The answer you seek,
is rather antique.

• "This thread does live now"
    • Active thread
  • "though not it’s first bow."
    • Not it's first incarnation though.
  • "The desires we wish can horribly change"
    • Corrupted Wish Thread

The post with the answer lies in a thread is not the most recent version the Corrupted Wish games.

At this point, you can just punch in "wish" and "Holycrapitsbob" (as I did) and then just look for posts which:

1. Best fit the remaining parts of the riddle.
  2. Have a word in bold and italics like the other answers that had been edited within the past few days.

• "The answer you seek, is rather antique."
    • The answer needs to old somehow. In this instance, the answer refers to something old
  • "With simple backlashes, become surprisingly strange."
    • Backlashes can end in confrontations and unexpected events would be strange.
''Done, but then a couple of guys who are up to no good start making trouble in your neighborhood. You get in one little fight and your mom gets scared and sends you off to live with your uncle in Bel-Air. You’re killed on the way there in a freak taxicab accident.''

The word is "Running."

I'm terrible at riddles, but I'm good at searching for forum posts on KYM.

Alright. The story is almost told. Most of the important stuff has been revealed. I guess I'll go into the heavier clues now. Not much left to tell.

A thread of frivolity,
from one who wants quality.
Though today he's quite dreary,
at once was rather cheery.
And asked us to answer
if his absence was like cancer.
I wonder if this man knew
he shared some joy too.

Most of this riddle is on the identity of the OP. The thread's nature can be found from the riddle. From there, the rest shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited Mar 30, 2013 at 05:38PM EDT

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Alright. The story is almost told. Most of the important stuff has been revealed. I guess I'll go into the heavier clues now. Not much left to tell.

A thread of frivolity,
Though today he's quite dreary,
And asked us to answer
if his absence was like cancer.
I wonder if this man knew
he shared some joy too.

Most of this riddle is on the identity of the OP. The thread's nature can be found from the riddle. From there, the rest shouldn't be too hard.

So it's in a coming back thread, and the guy was once a pretty jolly guy, but now he's pissy, asked us if the time gone was horrible for us.
see if you can get anything from that.

Though today he’s quite dreary,

There is only one user on this site who constantly demands quality from threads, and that's CitationNeeded. Sure, plenty do that on occasion, but Cite stands out AND used to be a more easy-going user in the past, instead of his common behavior nowadays (oh Cite, why can't we go back to those days).

The rest of the riddle implied it was a coming back thread, but I don't remember ever seeing Cite making one of those (and I commonly remember those). So through that it was easy to conclude that this was instead a joke thread (this could also be read through the first line), and the "absence was cancer" part implied it was one about how we survived without him.

After that it was just searching for "CitationNeeded" followed by specific words such as "before". This popped up this joke thread which was about exactly that.

The word is "Blackmail".

Last edited Mar 31, 2013 at 07:01PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!