Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

ITT: Memes You Just Never Really Understood

Last posted Jul 22, 2013 at 05:54PM EDT. Added Jun 08, 2013 at 11:52PM EDT
43 posts from 29 users

@Warrior

The hipster hate isnt towards art and culture, its towards a very specific image.

The image of someone who:

• Calls themselves a hipster in an attempt to sound trendy (hint: that not how you sound trendy)

• Deliberately adopts hipster fashion trends thinking it is a way to oppose fashion trends (it doesnt)

• Deliberately conforms to labels thinking it is a way to oppose fashion trends (it doesnt)

• Deliberately declares brand loyalty thinking it is a way to oppose fashion trends (it doesnt)

• Pretends that any of the above makes you look cool (it doesnt)

• Oblivious to the fact that anti-conformity still renders you controlled and driven by conformity

• Maintains a smug and elitist attitude against the 'mainstream' despite the fact that hipsterism is nothing more than a fashion trend

• Wears fugly mustaches, fake fedoras, scarves in summer, fake thick rimmed glasses and grandpa clothes then expects to be taken seriously

Note that the above does not describe all hipsters. In fact hipsters stopped acting like that years ago. Nowadays most hipsters just admit they are following a fashion trend and stop there.

But the image is set in stone and it remains a despicable one that if you ever feeling like hating for the sake of hating, there you go.

On topic. I never did get Gangnam style

I'm glad that it booted Beibz off the Youtube throne and all but…what's so great about it?

Last edited Jun 09, 2013 at 01:15AM EDT

@BSoD

Bcuz K-pop is el superior

Naw, it's probably just the very catchy tune, the upbeat melody, and the strange dance. Psy's been known for being a bit strange like that.

"Dress classy, dance cheesy."
-Park Jae-Sang "Psy"/PSY

I've never understood what makes a hipster, or what a hipster is to be honest.

@Lone K

That's a good question. Some say its a fashion statement, others say its a form of conformity rebellion etc, etc. But I don't think the definition of a hipster has ever been universally accepted or well defined.

The most common image of a hipster is really more of a stereotype.

It doesn't help that what a hipster is, has changed over the years and is different per-location. The only constant I can find is that it involves former-era clothes and fashion designs.

Well, U WOT M8 was a bit stupid and doesn't have much use, but since Advice animals are so easy to make now at the touch of a button, many people out there make obscure and not even funny ones, so they are the ones I'll never get.

But we are members of KYM, if even we don't get something, then that's saying something.

But we are members of KYM, if even we don’t get something, then that’s saying something.

This is true. We deal with ultra-confusing shit like Superrobotjesus and dragons having sex with cars.

Whatever we don't get must baffle the world.

I don't understand why "Swag" caught on. It's gotten to the point that I absolutely loathe the word. Worst of all are the people who actually go out in public wearing clothes with the word anywhere on it. Anyone who does that deserves to be relentlessly mocked. I feel the same way about YOLO.

I never got this whole Pokefusion thing that has been spreading through the Pokemon fandom like fire these past couple weeks (To the point of getting its own KYM page almost instantly). I get what it does, I get why it's there, but I never got what was so amusing about it.

U WOT M8 is essentially a reaction image. It's how a person with a very thick Australian sounds saying "You what, mate". Pretty much it means "what the fuck did you just say."

Crimson Locks wrote:

I never got this whole Pokefusion thing that has been spreading through the Pokemon fandom like fire these past couple weeks (To the point of getting its own KYM page almost instantly). I get what it does, I get why it's there, but I never got what was so amusing about it.

Those Pokefusions are years old, the page just got updated as a reply to the sudden rise in popularity. In the past it was more aimed at funny combinations, now its art based on decent combinations.

So yeah, it simply evolved, but that doesn't mean we should ignore its past.

I never understood I Herd U Like Mudkips. I can understand its use as an identifier originally, and how it became more popular..

I just never got why people thought it was funny/entertaining, or why its use continued beyond its original intent.

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

U WOT M8 is essentially a reaction image. It's how a person with a very thick Australian sounds saying "You what, mate". Pretty much it means "what the fuck did you just say."

>Australian

You wha', mate?

"i watch it for the plot"

it a phrase that people say to show a persons interests in the story line of a show they like. but all i get in the photo gallery is tits and ass everywhere.

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

Im pretty sure that's a British thing, Australian would be more "Yer what maw8?"

Sources- Being British, having to put up with Chavkind who say this shit day in day out

@Asura

THAT'S THE JOKE.

It's like the old saying: "I read Playboy for the articles!"

The meme makes fun of those who claim that the story is the ONLY thing that they are interested in. When partnered with screencaps of… other… interests they might have, it… makes a joke.

Serious Business wrote:

@Asura

THAT'S THE JOKE.

It's like the old saying: "I read Playboy for the articles!"

The meme makes fun of those who claim that the story is the ONLY thing that they are interested in. When partnered with screencaps of… other… interests they might have, it… makes a joke.

i know that, i was being sarcastic about it. im fully aware of the term and its implement.

Last edited Jun 09, 2013 at 08:31PM EDT

Gangnam Style is quite possibly among the worst songs ever made. Dolan is, hands down, the worst meme ever. Rage comics were passable at one time, but are now garbage. Confessions Bear is the worst Advice Animal, and everything done in Confessions Kid could be done in Confessions Bear. I find Pedo Bear a bit offensive.

Last edited Jun 09, 2013 at 10:32PM EDT

elmashojaldra wrote:

This one:

I never understood his function

It's used on sites like 4chan. Using him often means "Look at the post number I'm pointing at. I just got doubles/triples/etc." Often said with "Dubs (doubles). Check 'em."

The Illuminati wrote:

Gangnam Style is quite possibly among the worst songs ever made. Dolan is, hands down, the worst meme ever. Rage comics were passable at one time, but are now garbage. Confessions Bear is the worst Advice Animal, and everything done in Confessions Kid could be done in Confessions Bear. I find Pedo Bear a bit offensive.

The thread is "Memes you never understood", not "Opinions General".

Cale wrote:

The thread is "Memes you never understood", not "Opinions General".

Fair enough:

I understand it's an exploitable and all, but why was this a thing?

Cale wrote:

The M8 thing and Swole, among other phrases like that. They're things I hear actualy people say, but I have no idea what the fuck they are or why it's a thing.

swole just means a guy is muscular.

RandomMan wrote:

Fair enough:

I understand it's an exploitable and all, but why was this a thing?

You can't say with a straight face this wouldn't be a thing?

Last edited Jun 20, 2013 at 05:44AM EDT

You guys do realize that if you explore this website you may just find the answers to your questions. I mean so far nothing said in this thread (other than Evilthing's OP = overpowered) can be explained by just looking it up.
Remember this too, most memes are started on sites like 4chan. So the rhyme and reason for a meme can be over something as simple as a comment someone made.
The hardest thing is finding a meme, if you don't know what it's called.

Sonata Dusk wrote:

I never understood I Herd U Like Mudkips. I can understand its use as an identifier originally, and how it became more popular..

I just never got why people thought it was funny/entertaining, or why its use continued beyond its original intent.

It's probably because of the intentional spelling and grammatical errors, these things amuse people because of their stupidity.

The Illuminati wrote:

You just changed the words "never understood" to "memes I don't like".

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!