Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

Rooster Teeth produces RWBY, and it's actually pretty good

Last posted Sep 06, 2013 at 02:27AM EDT. Added Jul 20, 2013 at 09:35PM EDT
26 posts from 16 users

So Rooster Teeth animator Monty Oum finally got the funds/time to put together his pet project, a CGI series called RWBY. I saw the first episode and one of the trailers, and so far, I gotta say I'm impressed.

It's a little rough (I mean, this is a group of thirty somethings who got their start making Red vs. Blue, not producing shows) but it's endearing enough, not to mention awesome enough, to hold my attention. Also Jen Taylor does the intro voiceover. If you've got roughly 15 minutes, the first episode is here. Thoughts?

Last edited Jul 20, 2013 at 09:35PM EDT

I'm fairly unimpressed. The art is choppy and what is supposedly animesque comes off to me as pretentiously weeaboo, while the voice acting, save for the introduction, is dry and uninspired. The setting seems incredibly generic, to boot.

I like the character designs, but other than that, the series seemed too over hyped on tumblr.
The CGI is subpar, at best. All around the movements of the "actors" either seem exaggerated or too rigid. The villain voice sounds like the hired a guy from one of Nickeldeon's vault of overused voices for bad guys.
The script the gaudy and so full of cliches. Ruby seemed like the hero/"genki" type at first, but was suddenly over shadowed by her sister's personality which was seemed more alive than hers.

From Rooster Teeth, I feel like they could've done ten times better on this. They made Red vs Blue, gave some life to spartans in matching armor, only difference is color, where there only way to show emotion was to bob their heads up and down.

I'll try to continue watching, but so far it's lack luster.

I give episode one 3 perverted, frosted chocolate covered, marshmallows out of five.

Lich wrote:

I like the character designs, but other than that, the series seemed too over hyped on tumblr.
The CGI is subpar, at best. All around the movements of the "actors" either seem exaggerated or too rigid. The villain voice sounds like the hired a guy from one of Nickeldeon's vault of overused voices for bad guys.
The script the gaudy and so full of cliches. Ruby seemed like the hero/"genki" type at first, but was suddenly over shadowed by her sister's personality which was seemed more alive than hers.

From Rooster Teeth, I feel like they could've done ten times better on this. They made Red vs Blue, gave some life to spartans in matching armor, only difference is color, where there only way to show emotion was to bob their heads up and down.

I'll try to continue watching, but so far it's lack luster.

I give episode one 3 perverted, frosted chocolate covered, marshmallows out of five.

Considering that most of the people working on the project had never done anything like this or have little to no experience (most voices were done in house by people who's jobs are not voice overs) I think it was better than expected. If RWBY had been produced by an experienced company, I would totally agree. It was rough around the edges like most pilot episodes and amateur animations are.

A setting in the future? During a time of peace and not on the edge of apocalypse? Crazy. (Unless that changes, which it probably will.)
And not to nitpick, but why would you name the power source dust? That's just kinda' lame.
But the fight scenes were pretty good. And characters likable/purposefully unlikable. There was just nothing really remarkable about it, good or bad.
Also, Ruby's sister's hair is bananas. Literally.

Jormungandr9 wrote:

Considering that most of the people working on the project had never done anything like this or have little to no experience (most voices were done in house by people who's jobs are not voice overs) I think it was better than expected. If RWBY had been produced by an experienced company, I would totally agree. It was rough around the edges like most pilot episodes and amateur animations are.

This.
I totally agree that the animation is pretty rough at times, but considering one guy is doing almost everything in that department, I have to say it's not bad. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about the show that's extremely endearing to me. maybe it's just that the show is entirely made by amateurs and I want them to succeed. I dunno. the point is, I really like it.

It's pretty good. Could've done better. I hope there are some improvments in the furture episodes.
Anyways, RWBY is average, but definetly an interesting show to watch.

RWBY>Anything on TV.

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

Yeah pretty much better than anything on tv.

I wonder if this thing made with MMD. I don't really like it's style.

I'd suggest you see Cales post. There are plenty of good shows on TV at the moment, many that he didn't mention in his post because there are quite a few. Comments like these rustle my jimmies something fierce.

As for RWBY, Its ok, but I don't have much interest in seeing anything else after the first episode.

Last edited Jul 29, 2013 at 01:27PM EDT

Dac wrote:

I'd suggest you see Cales post. There are plenty of good shows on TV at the moment, many that he didn't mention in his post because there are quite a few. Comments like these rustle my jimmies something fierce.

As for RWBY, Its ok, but I don't have much interest in seeing anything else after the first episode.

i said "pretty much".

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

Yeah pretty much better than anything on tv.

I wonder if this thing made with MMD. I don't really like it's style.

It's not MMD. It was made with Poser Pro 2014.

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

This guy wins.

"So with this in mind I suspect the weapon of the final villain will be a lightsaber that is also a gun, that shoots more guns that double as a bazooka that can transform into an apache helicopter."

That was fuckin' priceless.

On a related note, I'd say that as of Episodes 4-6, the show's really starting to pick up steam.

How about dat Pyrrha?

I love RWBY so far. I think Monty is doing a fine job with it. He is very good at the fight scenes tbh. I also like the voice actors for the characters especially Lindsay voicing Ruby and Barbara as Yang.

btw Ruby's weapon choice is just WOW awesome

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

Oh boy.. A new subculture?

Indeed. I'd suggest starting an entry, but we should probably wait until more episodes come out first.

Right now it'd probably be easier to make a page for Monty and his other stuff.

Also, this week's episode was depressingly short, but Juane's screaming makes it worth it.

Also also, this hilarious motherfucker deserves a look at if you need your RWBY fix.

Last edited Aug 29, 2013 at 10:41PM EDT

Well i watched the first episode. I was quite disappointed it's so generic and the characters are pretty bad (kinda felt like different kinds of dumb). The animation wasn't horrible nor good. Comparing the quality with RvB it just doesn't feel like RWBY is something that doesn't seem Roosterteeth would have made.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!