Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

307,342 total conversations in 9,158 threads

+ New Thread


To express an opinion

Last posted Aug 31, 2013 at 06:23PM EDT. Added Jul 31, 2013 at 07:19PM EDT
20 posts from 13 users

Why is it that everywhere you go (On the internet at least) people just can’t seem to admit that they do not like something, without everybody downvoting, bashing, or marking them as spam?
Even when they do agree, they end up just saying how its a piece of shit? I’ll admit, there are things that I don’t like things that have received high praise, but even if you don’t like it, doesn’t mean its shitty…

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:19PM EDT
Quote

Circle jerking is the only widely accepted form of opinion expressing, which is something that makes me wonder whether the exclusivity-mindset of many groups stems from this or if this is a result of said mindset.

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:25PM EDT
Quote

>people just can’t seem to admit that they do not like something, without everybody downvoting, bashing, or marking them as spam
>even if you don’t like it, doesn’t mean its shitty…

So which side are you defending here? People who hate or people who hate haters (oh the irony)?

Last edited Jul 31, 2013 at 07:27PM EDT
Jul 31, 2013 at 07:26PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

>people just can’t seem to admit that they do not like something, without everybody downvoting, bashing, or marking them as spam
>even if you don’t like it, doesn’t mean its shitty…

So which side are you defending here? People who hate or people who hate haters (oh the irony)?

Damn comments are fast!

I don’t have to defend any side, this isn’t about haters, or those who stick to your side when you have similar opinions, its more about how we react to someone else’s thoughts…

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:37PM EDT
Quote

Cale wrote:

Circle jerking is the only widely accepted form of opinion expressing, which is something that makes me wonder whether the exclusivity-mindset of many groups stems from this or if this is a result of said mindset.

I just wish I could disagree without everybody losing their minds… but it always ends the same…

I’ve also witnessed…

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:40PM EDT
Quote

What is with my comment’s struggle between up votes and down votes?
Must be my rival, beef!

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:50PM EDT
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

What is with my comment’s struggle between up votes and down votes?
Must be my rival, beef!

No offense, buddy, but it probably has a little more to do with your triple posting.

As for the topic at hand, I for one think that, as much as the internet likes to pretend it’s different, its members still create its own generally accepted pop culture likes and dislikes. Take a show like Firefly, for example. It’s a generally liked show online, and introducing it to others online would generally perpetuate that sentiment. And those who dislike it are going to be mocked by those who do as having crappy taste or what have you, beginning and perpetuating the circlejerk. (Until, of course, liking the show [or any show, for that matter] is so popular and prevalent that a counter circlejerk begins).

Now take something negative, like hating Justin Beiber. That’s something that the internet really hates, and people really love to hate things. So to come against the enjoyment that people get out of despising Beiber by say, admitting you enjoy his music is going to come with a lot of flak. Plus you’ve got a whole army of people to reinforce your own belief.

On a more personal note, when people don’t like what you like, it can very easily feel that they’re attacking you, as opposed to what you like. And you might begin to think you have bad taste, because someone else doesn’t like whatever you thing may be. So you want to believe that you and your majority of supporters don’t just enjoy something, but are better for enjoying that thing, more refined, more correct overall, etc.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:33PM EDT
Quote

People love to dislike many things here, as said before. People dislike other’s tastes and opinions, just for the sake of enjoying it. trolls. Some people join them because it looks fun, or other people dislike it, without seeing it in action.

A good example is Call of Duty. A game series that is populated quite well. People hate this game so much that they do everything to say that is a corrupt series. Stating its fanbase is full with children. True, but they dismiss the fact that it’s a well designed game, with some enjoyable moments. Also, people dislike CoD because everyone hates it, for they want to be in the majority and not have their jimmies being rustled. This is why many people hate this series, so many people post with no value other to gain attention by hating a topic/opinion like CoD. The fanbase is really attentive to the hate messages close to the topic itself, giving the poster/troll much attention they wanted.

Rustling is sometimes fun when the hate directed at someone who is blind to see the faults, which is why CoD is well targeted and hated among the Internet. However this comes as the cost of retaliation, and CoD has a quite big fanbase when compared to the haters. This is why people hate CoD because their followers can retaliate more often than not, which is why not many people post hate on topics related or similar.

CoD is a common target with similar hate like Justin Beiber, 1D, Rage Comics, Advice Animals and 9gag, although 9gag and Advice Animals deserve it. People dislike these cultures because they see other people disliking it, which makes them join in the hate.


TL;DR, I’m saying opinions can be hated because other people hate it, and sometimes not experiencing the opinion topic itself.

Aug 01, 2013 at 02:14AM EDT
Quote

The internet can be a real hornet’s nest when it comes down to opinions.

It also depends where you express it. In some, more closed off places you can have a civil conversation about a subject without getting bashed for it. I other, more public sites it is almost guaranteed that people will go after you with torches and pitchforks.

What I notice about most people on the internet, including myself, is that we start posting on impulse. We do not really put much thought on what we’re gonna post.
This is also the reason why we will be stuck with trolls forever. It’s almost as if we’re doomed to feed the troll.

Aug 01, 2013 at 02:56AM EDT
Quote

What I’ve learned from the internet.
OPINIONS ARE BAD
And because you’re on the internet and not in reaching distance to be beaten with an arm length tree branch, you can express how you really feel on any situation in the most dramatic and rage fueled way imaginable. Despite the fact that, yourself, can be wrong. Once others, who also feels the same way, sees the small spark which ignites a shit storm flicker. They too well bring out lighters, torches and even flamethrowers, to hurriedly set off the explosion.

But, at times, I think people just tend to love a good argument. Or, maybe, some people just have something on their chest and lash out to your own opinion to get rid of stress. Who knows?
Humans are weird.

Aug 01, 2013 at 06:04AM EDT
Quote

Youtube arguments are a prime example of heavily opinionated arguments. After all if you see an argument thread, while admittedly most of the time it will be a troll, other times, it will be someone who goes against what the general opinion is of that video or whatever that video relates to. If it’s an opinion then I’m completely fine with it, if it’s a belief that whatever it is is fact and it isn’t then people have more of a right to see them that way; Downvoting, marking as spam is however a bit much, and should obviously only be used for things that are… you know, spam? Even trolls fall into that category.

Sometimes I’ll say stupid things on Youtube, but I’ll state that I’ve made a mistake, unlike the people who just keep getting madder and madder. The internet is a bad place for opinions because with so many people, there was bound to be conflict sooner or later.

Aug 01, 2013 at 06:23AM EDT
Quote

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

No offense, buddy, but it probably has a little more to do with your triple posting.

As for the topic at hand, I for one think that, as much as the internet likes to pretend it’s different, its members still create its own generally accepted pop culture likes and dislikes. Take a show like Firefly, for example. It’s a generally liked show online, and introducing it to others online would generally perpetuate that sentiment. And those who dislike it are going to be mocked by those who do as having crappy taste or what have you, beginning and perpetuating the circlejerk. (Until, of course, liking the show [or any show, for that matter] is so popular and prevalent that a counter circlejerk begins).

Now take something negative, like hating Justin Beiber. That’s something that the internet really hates, and people really love to hate things. So to come against the enjoyment that people get out of despising Beiber by say, admitting you enjoy his music is going to come with a lot of flak. Plus you’ve got a whole army of people to reinforce your own belief.

On a more personal note, when people don’t like what you like, it can very easily feel that they’re attacking you, as opposed to what you like. And you might begin to think you have bad taste, because someone else doesn’t like whatever you thing may be. So you want to believe that you and your majority of supporters don’t just enjoy something, but are better for enjoying that thing, more refined, more correct overall, etc.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Well, I’m the kinda of guy who doesn’t have much going on, so I’m actually reading what is said in the thread… but how many replies is much is too much? Two?

That’s essentially what happens every time you like what someone else doesn’t, can’t even tell you how many assholes called me a retard for liking MInecraft… seriously? Are people usually just that butt-hurt over one’s own mindset?

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:06PM EDT
Quote

The problem is that most people are incapable of empathy. They can’t look at anything from the third person and determine why it is that other people like or dislike something when they feel the opposite way. So they resort to the age-old tactic of assailing the dissenter.

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:39PM EDT
Quote

you have to be careful about HOW you state your opinion
some people just comment faster than they think

also

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:19AM EDT
Quote

Viuff wrote:

you have to be careful about HOW you state your opinion
some people just comment faster than they think

also

Say something like that on one of this guy’s videos…

See how much his fan’s don’t think his thoughts matter…

Aug 04, 2013 at 05:20PM EDT
Quote

found something that sums the internets view on opinions up just perfect

Aug 05, 2013 at 03:50PM EDT
Quote

It highly depends on where you are, who you’re dealing with, and what your opinions are.

Take a look at 4chan: there’s no registration and no upvoting/downvoting system. In such place it’s difficult not to find a long thread with someone calling other “fagets” without a reason. People can say anything (well, almost anything…), and they will get away with that. Pretty much special place, both fascinating and scary.

In Karma-based systems, like this one on KnowYourMeme, you can upvote or downvote (or do nothing at all), and no one will ever know who did what. This is very circlejerk-friendly, so it’s quite often to see someone being downvoted for “unpopular” opinions. But registration is required and at least some people will remember you and what your opinions are, so even if people can’t deal with you in real life (anonymity), you’ll most likely end up having your comments hidden.

In simple Like-based system on Facebook, you can’t downvote, and Liking is visible for everyone. It’s rather peaceful and friendly environment. Flamewars are possible, but it’s not like you can always avoid them. Also, you may reveal your identity, so it’s not like you’d like to post something bad. Even if people can’t deal with you online, they can do that in real life… But on sites like Memebase, Like-based system makes it kinda difficult to deal with trolls and haters.

And then there are special places, such as Stack Exchange, where your opinions matter much. (Probably the only serious places on the Internet). Haters and troll can’t do much there, but small flamewars are still possible.

So, the matter of people… Everyone has opinions, but not everyone agrees universally. And people have different levels of acceptability. Some people can ignore every hate and bad arguments, they can’t be trolled, and are very cool to discuss with. Then there are people who will suddenly attack you because you said you don’t like something he/she likes, total rabids and fanboys that are next to impossible (and quite pointless) to argue with. Of course, these are extremes, most people are somewhere in between. Another problem is when given opinion is… unpopular, but that’s something we have little impact. Sometimes it’s best not to say anything.

Well, I guess this is all I have to say about opinions, but I’d like to add something about downvote button – don’t use it, ignore it until you come across real hater or troll. Don’t downvote other people’s opinion because you don’t agree with them. Your opinions are not Ultimate Truth, you can be wrong about many things. Sometimes it really angers me when someone’s trying to force their point of view on others, but it hurts when innocent person is downvoted for pretty much nothing. Obey your conscience. Be cool, even if others are not.

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:18PM EDT
Quote

gnolex wrote:

It highly depends on where you are, who you’re dealing with, and what your opinions are.

Take a look at 4chan: there’s no registration and no upvoting/downvoting system. In such place it’s difficult not to find a long thread with someone calling other “fagets” without a reason. People can say anything (well, almost anything…), and they will get away with that. Pretty much special place, both fascinating and scary.

In Karma-based systems, like this one on KnowYourMeme, you can upvote or downvote (or do nothing at all), and no one will ever know who did what. This is very circlejerk-friendly, so it’s quite often to see someone being downvoted for “unpopular” opinions. But registration is required and at least some people will remember you and what your opinions are, so even if people can’t deal with you in real life (anonymity), you’ll most likely end up having your comments hidden.

In simple Like-based system on Facebook, you can’t downvote, and Liking is visible for everyone. It’s rather peaceful and friendly environment. Flamewars are possible, but it’s not like you can always avoid them. Also, you may reveal your identity, so it’s not like you’d like to post something bad. Even if people can’t deal with you online, they can do that in real life… But on sites like Memebase, Like-based system makes it kinda difficult to deal with trolls and haters.

And then there are special places, such as Stack Exchange, where your opinions matter much. (Probably the only serious places on the Internet). Haters and troll can’t do much there, but small flamewars are still possible.

So, the matter of people… Everyone has opinions, but not everyone agrees universally. And people have different levels of acceptability. Some people can ignore every hate and bad arguments, they can’t be trolled, and are very cool to discuss with. Then there are people who will suddenly attack you because you said you don’t like something he/she likes, total rabids and fanboys that are next to impossible (and quite pointless) to argue with. Of course, these are extremes, most people are somewhere in between. Another problem is when given opinion is… unpopular, but that’s something we have little impact. Sometimes it’s best not to say anything.

Well, I guess this is all I have to say about opinions, but I’d like to add something about downvote button – don’t use it, ignore it until you come across real hater or troll. Don’t downvote other people’s opinion because you don’t agree with them. Your opinions are not Ultimate Truth, you can be wrong about many things. Sometimes it really angers me when someone’s trying to force their point of view on others, but it hurts when innocent person is downvoted for pretty much nothing. Obey your conscience. Be cool, even if others are not.


i recall a admin once said
the downvote system is not a “i disagree button”

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:59PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!