Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

307,339 total conversations in 8,890 threads

+ New Thread


That uncanny valley

Last posted Feb 15, 2014 at 04:45PM EST. Added Feb 03, 2014 at 12:11AM EST
34 posts from 6 users

What is wrong with me? This site always made my day, usually when I came here, I always got a smile on my face, it doesn’t seem to happen anymore. I don’t know what it is, just feel like something is just keeping me from enjoying this site, How long have I been inactive?
Things just keep changing for me, for better or for worse, my future is looking blurry…

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:11AM EST
Quote

I know that feel all to well. While it is true that about some parts of the site always remain the same that’s not how things work here. For the most part things are always changing around here and just being inactive for one day can make one feel as though they missed something important while they were gone. That’s one of the cons of be a member to this lovely site.

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:03AM EST
Quote

It’s more of people that have so much potential to create massive cool forum games of awesomeness participate in watered down things like the -General forums. The large void you get is what you probably felt a year ago because some pretty great stuff happened back then. The ascii rpg thread, The user’s drawing livestreams, NationsRP, the Murder Game threads and some rare forum fights. Then again, people post in those -General forums in the JFF, so it is always the same.

More notably the Shitpost General, and so to speak, including the Cringeworthy General and the Roleplaying General if you really think about it.

I know people partake in these threads because of wanting more of it, but you’re feeling that void and it’s not ok to you. So make a new topic, like this one to debate and explain stuff. Make a new forum game, something fun.

If you want things to feel fresh, then go to the General subforum instead of JFF because JFF is always the same.

Feb 03, 2014 at 02:29AM EST
Quote

Hmm, sounds more like just site-related issues. In fact, you sound pretty down.
If you need someone to talk to, I can always listen.

But if this is completely about the site not being interesting to you anymore, maybe your tastes have just changed. It happens to us all. At first we like a site but then we change and need to find a new internet home.

Also, it could be the occasional lack of variety. Sometimes on slow days where there’s not too many uploads I get a bit bored too.

Whatever the case is, you can cheer yourself up by getting lost in the weird side of youtube.

Feb 03, 2014 at 03:06AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

Hmm, sounds more like just site-related issues. In fact, you sound pretty down.
If you need someone to talk to, I can always listen.

But if this is completely about the site not being interesting to you anymore, maybe your tastes have just changed. It happens to us all. At first we like a site but then we change and need to find a new internet home.

Also, it could be the occasional lack of variety. Sometimes on slow days where there’s not too many uploads I get a bit bored too.

Whatever the case is, you can cheer yourself up by getting lost in the weird side of youtube.

Appreciate the thought, not many people who are just showing sympathy anymore…

I think I am getting depression, all kinds of things that use to make me happy don’t anymore, I can guarantee that if I spoke what I really thought, I’d just have a bunch of people just bash me for thinking that way I do, I think I’m getting a free thinker personality now… no one likes a free thinker…

Feb 03, 2014 at 04:21AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

Appreciate the thought, not many people who are just showing sympathy anymore…

I think I am getting depression, all kinds of things that use to make me happy don’t anymore, I can guarantee that if I spoke what I really thought, I’d just have a bunch of people just bash me for thinking that way I do, I think I’m getting a free thinker personality now… no one likes a free thinker…

Maybe you should talk to someone you know about this if it’s interfering with everyday life. Maybe your parents or a close friend. Sometimes it’s better to talk it out with someone who will understand. You could even message me if you can think of no one to reach out to (but I highly recommend the person you talk to be someone you personally know).

If your depression is bad to the point you might an hero, you might want to seek professional help.

Feb 03, 2014 at 06:25AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

Maybe you should talk to someone you know about this if it’s interfering with everyday life. Maybe your parents or a close friend. Sometimes it’s better to talk it out with someone who will understand. You could even message me if you can think of no one to reach out to (but I highly recommend the person you talk to be someone you personally know).

If your depression is bad to the point you might an hero, you might want to seek professional help.

Suicide? Hell no… I got my reasons to keep going, that and I’m scared of dying…

I don’t have anyone, everyone I know are biased dick heads, the one person I would trust is out of town, I don’t have a car… Life just wants to screw me over every chance it gets…

Feb 03, 2014 at 01:15PM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

Suicide? Hell no… I got my reasons to keep going, that and I’m scared of dying…

I don’t have anyone, everyone I know are biased dick heads, the one person I would trust is out of town, I don’t have a car… Life just wants to screw me over every chance it gets…

Is there no way you can get in touch with this person? It’s not as personal as a face to face talk, but maybe you should try contacting them via email or phone.

So how about we look at the cause of your depression? Was this triggered by an event or do you often have periods where you just feel down? Possibly both? Do you take any medication? Was there a change in your regular schedule? You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, but sometimes it’s good to know the cause.

And there are plenty of sites you can look at for help too. Just google away and you’ll find others who might understand you better then I do or your friend.

Feb 03, 2014 at 06:40PM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

Is there no way you can get in touch with this person? It’s not as personal as a face to face talk, but maybe you should try contacting them via email or phone.

So how about we look at the cause of your depression? Was this triggered by an event or do you often have periods where you just feel down? Possibly both? Do you take any medication? Was there a change in your regular schedule? You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, but sometimes it’s good to know the cause.

And there are plenty of sites you can look at for help too. Just google away and you’ll find others who might understand you better then I do or your friend.

Rather see him in person again… those were the days…

I don’t know…
but Nintendo games use to make me happy, now I cant’ stand the sight of them, I don’t know what it was that did this, but I feel like Nintendo games have only gotten worse over the years, even the old ones don’t hold water for me… the fact that little attention to story seems to be itching at me, I use to play the Zelda seris, as I got older, I’m starting to realize how piss poor quality it is, sure it’s not that buggy, but the story seems filled with plot holes, childish, seems to pander to its audience, doesn’t take risks, acts like death is an inconvenience more then anything, and the game feels like it has no purpose in even existing, other then to milk the Zelda name…
I’ve grown a huge interest in good narratives, I feel like I understand what is a good story. All these Japanese games and television don’t follow any good forms of narrative, but that is always excused by that “It’s Japanese culture,” bullshit. It’s a bad story telling, being from Japan means nothing…
I think I’m tired of Japanese media… no matter how bad it is, it’ll always be overlooked, I wish people can see it the way I do…

Feb 04, 2014 at 01:18PM EST
Quote

Maybe you should change your name to Jeff Smartham. Might give you a confidence boost or something.

Last edited Feb 04, 2014 at 05:54PM EST
Feb 04, 2014 at 05:53PM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

Rather see him in person again… those were the days…

I don’t know…
but Nintendo games use to make me happy, now I cant’ stand the sight of them, I don’t know what it was that did this, but I feel like Nintendo games have only gotten worse over the years, even the old ones don’t hold water for me… the fact that little attention to story seems to be itching at me, I use to play the Zelda seris, as I got older, I’m starting to realize how piss poor quality it is, sure it’s not that buggy, but the story seems filled with plot holes, childish, seems to pander to its audience, doesn’t take risks, acts like death is an inconvenience more then anything, and the game feels like it has no purpose in even existing, other then to milk the Zelda name…
I’ve grown a huge interest in good narratives, I feel like I understand what is a good story. All these Japanese games and television don’t follow any good forms of narrative, but that is always excused by that “It’s Japanese culture,” bullshit. It’s a bad story telling, being from Japan means nothing…
I think I’m tired of Japanese media… no matter how bad it is, it’ll always be overlooked, I wish people can see it the way I do…

Hmm… So it is the fact you find things you used to love lacking? And Nintendo is an example of something you used to love but now see problems with it (this is just one example though, right?)?

I think you are just growing, maturing, and changing. Just as we might stop liking certain foods and begin enjoying others, we also stop enjoying certain activities while becoming interested in other things.

As for the whole Japanese media thing, it seems you are upset with the way they do things and the attention they get. The truth is you won’t be able to change the Japanese media or the opinions of those who like it, but you can always stop looking at the Japanese media and pay attention to things you feel deserve praise.

But I get where you’re coming from. Sometimes we just get so frustrated with the fact that something receives attention when to us they are undeserving. So many more deserving things go overlooked in favor of what appeals to the masses. It’s enough to drive someone crazy. For example, I dislike bone-rigging animation and it upsets me when people praise bone-rigged animations over traditional frame-by-frame. However, it’s not for me to decide what the masses like. The best I can do is not pay attention to them and spend my time on things I do appreciate.

You’ll probably always feel a bit angry when it comes to how people excuse the flaws you see in Japanese media, but you must not let that get you down. Someday opinions might change to be more in you favor, but, until then, the best thing you can do is only pay attention to those you feel deserve it and hope others catch on. Maybe even start a blog about the things you like about narratives. Sometimes it feels good to just let everyone know how you feel.

(Yeah, I don’t know if that was very good advice but I tried)

Feb 04, 2014 at 06:31PM EST
Quote

Sir Crona Statscowski Esquire wrote:

Sounds like someone needs an internet hug.

Also, the community is more active in the spring/summer from what I’ve noticed.

Spring? There’s no snow in the spring…

Feb 04, 2014 at 08:20PM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

Hmm… So it is the fact you find things you used to love lacking? And Nintendo is an example of something you used to love but now see problems with it (this is just one example though, right?)?

I think you are just growing, maturing, and changing. Just as we might stop liking certain foods and begin enjoying others, we also stop enjoying certain activities while becoming interested in other things.

As for the whole Japanese media thing, it seems you are upset with the way they do things and the attention they get. The truth is you won’t be able to change the Japanese media or the opinions of those who like it, but you can always stop looking at the Japanese media and pay attention to things you feel deserve praise.

But I get where you’re coming from. Sometimes we just get so frustrated with the fact that something receives attention when to us they are undeserving. So many more deserving things go overlooked in favor of what appeals to the masses. It’s enough to drive someone crazy. For example, I dislike bone-rigging animation and it upsets me when people praise bone-rigged animations over traditional frame-by-frame. However, it’s not for me to decide what the masses like. The best I can do is not pay attention to them and spend my time on things I do appreciate.

You’ll probably always feel a bit angry when it comes to how people excuse the flaws you see in Japanese media, but you must not let that get you down. Someday opinions might change to be more in you favor, but, until then, the best thing you can do is only pay attention to those you feel deserve it and hope others catch on. Maybe even start a blog about the things you like about narratives. Sometimes it feels good to just let everyone know how you feel.

(Yeah, I don’t know if that was very good advice but I tried)

(Distracted)

I fear that change won’t happen honestly, as long as Japan makes cartoons, (I don’t have a problem with, just wish people knew when something is shit_) Every J cartoon will pander and talk down to their audience…
The thing is, the pandering and fan service isn’t what kills me, its more of when people get repetitious garbage, they don’t realize what they want, and want more of what they already seen before. What I’m trying to say is shit shows *_coughYugioh
is what we get, it just stifles originality, I think when your just limiting people’s creativity, that’s worse then making a shitty narrative…
I do appreciate shows that go overlooked, take South Park for example, (I know what I said) most people just judge it as toilet humor and smut, but that show can have deep morals when it wants to, it just using that humor to better convey it, which doesn’t work for some people, which I can understand, but to say, “there’s always a bad guy, there’s always someone to blame” is horseshit, there doesn’t need to be a bad guy, or plot device, why can’t it just be people living their life in an world we wouldn’t call normal? That could work, no villain, no dumbass to save, no stupid love triangles…

If you’re interested, I know a youtuber who did frame by frame animation, she’s left her account though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKTeo0EcH2s

I really hate J cartoons… there all the same to me

Feb 07, 2014 at 02:16AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

(Distracted)

I fear that change won’t happen honestly, as long as Japan makes cartoons, (I don’t have a problem with, just wish people knew when something is shit_) Every J cartoon will pander and talk down to their audience…
The thing is, the pandering and fan service isn’t what kills me, its more of when people get repetitious garbage, they don’t realize what they want, and want more of what they already seen before. What I’m trying to say is shit shows *_coughYugioh
is what we get, it just stifles originality, I think when your just limiting people’s creativity, that’s worse then making a shitty narrative…
I do appreciate shows that go overlooked, take South Park for example, (I know what I said) most people just judge it as toilet humor and smut, but that show can have deep morals when it wants to, it just using that humor to better convey it, which doesn’t work for some people, which I can understand, but to say, “there’s always a bad guy, there’s always someone to blame” is horseshit, there doesn’t need to be a bad guy, or plot device, why can’t it just be people living their life in an world we wouldn’t call normal? That could work, no villain, no dumbass to save, no stupid love triangles…

If you’re interested, I know a youtuber who did frame by frame animation, she’s left her account though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKTeo0EcH2s

I really hate J cartoons… there all the same to me

I think it’d be wrong to say every Japanese cartoon is like that, but I will agree that there are many. Considering the vast amount of animation Japan puts out, you might find one you like (but only if you feel like searching).

But let’s focus on what makes you happy (unless you just feel like ranting. Sometimes ranting can make you feel better).

And what you said about villains brings up an interesting topic. I too have always felt villains were too overdone, that sometimes good plots can just be “neutral” in that sense. Removal of a villain character forces both the audience and the writer to think more deeply and focus on other things. Sometimes it just makes things more relatable because in real life we don’t have actual antagonists who plot out our misery, just unfortunate circumstances.

Do you perhaps do some writing of your own? Ever thought of making your own series of sorts?

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:07AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

I think it’d be wrong to say every Japanese cartoon is like that, but I will agree that there are many. Considering the vast amount of animation Japan puts out, you might find one you like (but only if you feel like searching).

But let’s focus on what makes you happy (unless you just feel like ranting. Sometimes ranting can make you feel better).

And what you said about villains brings up an interesting topic. I too have always felt villains were too overdone, that sometimes good plots can just be “neutral” in that sense. Removal of a villain character forces both the audience and the writer to think more deeply and focus on other things. Sometimes it just makes things more relatable because in real life we don’t have actual antagonists who plot out our misery, just unfortunate circumstances.

Do you perhaps do some writing of your own? Ever thought of making your own series of sorts?

I know, there probably is an anime I like… just need to find it…
but if it has the “kinda average teen who is a nobody in high school”, NEXT

I need to get this off my chest…

Ever watch “Marley and Me”? That was an amazing movie (At least to me)! No bad guy, no plot device, just a man who got a dog, had kids, loved his wife… YES!!! That works… I think that dog is still alive, I almost cried at that ending…


Oh, I don’t wanna put too much build up… that will just bite me in the ass. Yeah I do! I got all kinds of ideas… I was hoping to make games/animated shows… maybe I’m being over ambitious, but I got a whole world planned out…
I’ve said told this before, but I want to make a whole cast of characters within the same world, its canon as well, but everyone has their own story arc, like one is about a guy from an alternative universe of Missouri (I grew up there, I know what it’s like), who I’m trying to make have South Park like events (believe me, comedy is hard)… but a different story altogether of a little girl who run away from her home town because of her people’s prophecies…
To be honest, I think I owe Nintendo one… it was actually them who inspired me to make my stories linked, but you don’t have to know them to keep up with the new one… but don’t repeat yourself…
By the way, I’m going for a dark overtone in my world, think I should throw in happy endings so it can be considered different? Or keep up grim endings? My life wasn’t as colorful… I still get screwed over every chance I get…

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:48AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

I know, there probably is an anime I like… just need to find it…
but if it has the “kinda average teen who is a nobody in high school”, NEXT

I need to get this off my chest…

Ever watch “Marley and Me”? That was an amazing movie (At least to me)! No bad guy, no plot device, just a man who got a dog, had kids, loved his wife… YES!!! That works… I think that dog is still alive, I almost cried at that ending…


Oh, I don’t wanna put too much build up… that will just bite me in the ass. Yeah I do! I got all kinds of ideas… I was hoping to make games/animated shows… maybe I’m being over ambitious, but I got a whole world planned out…
I’ve said told this before, but I want to make a whole cast of characters within the same world, its canon as well, but everyone has their own story arc, like one is about a guy from an alternative universe of Missouri (I grew up there, I know what it’s like), who I’m trying to make have South Park like events (believe me, comedy is hard)… but a different story altogether of a little girl who run away from her home town because of her people’s prophecies…
To be honest, I think I owe Nintendo one… it was actually them who inspired me to make my stories linked, but you don’t have to know them to keep up with the new one… but don’t repeat yourself…
By the way, I’m going for a dark overtone in my world, think I should throw in happy endings so it can be considered different? Or keep up grim endings? My life wasn’t as colorful… I still get screwed over every chance I get…

I actually never saw Marley and Me. I would just cry like a baby at the end so I decided not to see it. I did, however, see Hachiko which isn’t really like Marley and Me, but is another example of a great story without a “villain.”

As for the whole “everything being within the same world,” I LOVE THAT STUFF. When authors can pull their characters from different stories together into one universe, it’s just… I can’t describe how cool that is to me. I sort of try to do that too, but eventually I merged all my characters into one story so yeah…

As for endings, just go with what feels right. I usually go for bitter-sweet endings though (technically a happy ending but not what anyone really wanted). If you think the content of your stories is actually affecting your mood though, maybe you should consider a happy ending (but that’s only if it’s actually affecting you and not vice versa). Maybe you’d like to share one of your stories or even just a summary?

And getting screwed over? Is this something else you would like to talk about? Or shall we just focus on writing since that seems to be your passion?

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:31AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

I actually never saw Marley and Me. I would just cry like a baby at the end so I decided not to see it. I did, however, see Hachiko which isn’t really like Marley and Me, but is another example of a great story without a “villain.”

As for the whole “everything being within the same world,” I LOVE THAT STUFF. When authors can pull their characters from different stories together into one universe, it’s just… I can’t describe how cool that is to me. I sort of try to do that too, but eventually I merged all my characters into one story so yeah…

As for endings, just go with what feels right. I usually go for bitter-sweet endings though (technically a happy ending but not what anyone really wanted). If you think the content of your stories is actually affecting your mood though, maybe you should consider a happy ending (but that’s only if it’s actually affecting you and not vice versa). Maybe you’d like to share one of your stories or even just a summary?

And getting screwed over? Is this something else you would like to talk about? Or shall we just focus on writing since that seems to be your passion?

Is that the one about the witch who wants to live with people?

Ugh, you’re over complicating things, having 20 different people to remember doesn’t make it good, it also pushes screen time for the others for character development. I’m trying to keep it split up so you don’t have 30 people to keep track of, but for anyone into it, they can put the pieces together, Ed,Edd, n Eddy keep the focus on the short cast, they didn’t introduce people into the show, (Kanker sisters, I guess, but that was the pilot, when we didn’t even know the Eds)
Hmm… I also have a thing toward dubs… I don’t like them, period. I would honestly deal with subs then dubs… why bring this up? I want ethnic diversity to be a factor in my world, I have a story about a girl who ran away from her town, she doesn’t speak English, to have dubs would mean she speaks English here, but then it contradicts the story, cos she travels to English speaking people, gah! I wanna make it canon, she only speaks Spanish, she’s from Mexico…
One more thing, its another reality where its a post apocalyptic world, (I’m spoiling so much already) where all of humanity was wiped, people are still around, but new life has formed, nature has reset itself, the only countries I made survive are America, somewhere in the Middle East (haven’t decided where yet), Europe is still there too, just haven’t decided who is there… who is left matters a lot though, I’m being really careful who is there, I don’t want any plot holes in my story arc… (that’s impossible)
I forgot who I told this to, but I wanna be an entertainer, its our job to let people immerse others into another reality, I know what its like to wanna go somewhere else, but physically can’t, I wanna help people get to that, through good writing, an immerseive world, and of coarse, good characters…

I get screwed over cos my dad’s bad luck passed onto me… that’s it really, I’m just unlucky…

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:16AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

Is that the one about the witch who wants to live with people?

Ugh, you’re over complicating things, having 20 different people to remember doesn’t make it good, it also pushes screen time for the others for character development. I’m trying to keep it split up so you don’t have 30 people to keep track of, but for anyone into it, they can put the pieces together, Ed,Edd, n Eddy keep the focus on the short cast, they didn’t introduce people into the show, (Kanker sisters, I guess, but that was the pilot, when we didn’t even know the Eds)
Hmm… I also have a thing toward dubs… I don’t like them, period. I would honestly deal with subs then dubs… why bring this up? I want ethnic diversity to be a factor in my world, I have a story about a girl who ran away from her town, she doesn’t speak English, to have dubs would mean she speaks English here, but then it contradicts the story, cos she travels to English speaking people, gah! I wanna make it canon, she only speaks Spanish, she’s from Mexico…
One more thing, its another reality where its a post apocalyptic world, (I’m spoiling so much already) where all of humanity was wiped, people are still around, but new life has formed, nature has reset itself, the only countries I made survive are America, somewhere in the Middle East (haven’t decided where yet), Europe is still there too, just haven’t decided who is there… who is left matters a lot though, I’m being really careful who is there, I don’t want any plot holes in my story arc… (that’s impossible)
I forgot who I told this to, but I wanna be an entertainer, its our job to let people immerse others into another reality, I know what its like to wanna go somewhere else, but physically can’t, I wanna help people get to that, through good writing, an immerseive world, and of coarse, good characters…

I get screwed over cos my dad’s bad luck passed onto me… that’s it really, I’m just unlucky…

Hachiko is about a dog whose owner died at work one day and never came home. Hachiko would wait the rest of his life at the train station he always met his master at after the day’s work was done, not understanding his master would never come back. I just mentioned it because like Marley and Me it looked at the human/dog relationship.

Yeah, no. I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. I pretty much like exactly what you’re describing. Let me make myself a bit more clear: I think it’s cool when someone makes multiple series but they can all sort of tie into the same universe. Something like what William Faulkner did with his short stories. Each story was about different people, but it all happened within the same area. Each story could stand on it’s own, but fans of his work could easily piece together that it all happened within the same universe. Or like Beverly Clearly’s childrens’ books which all happened within the same world but each focused on one character at a time. Again, every story could be read on its own, but you could find bits from her other stories within it. You know, nothing like a huge ass story with tons of characters, but individual stories which can fit under the same roof. That’s pretty much what you’re describing, right? (Does that make more sense now?)

I totally get the wanting to be an entertainer bit. I would like to be animator someday to do the same, make the impossible somehow possible for others. To have them be able to visualize a world of fantasy through art… I want to make people think and smile and laugh and cry through my pen strokes.
I’m sure if you continue to dedicate yourself to your story, you’ll achieve that dream someday. Sounds interesting so far.

Feb 07, 2014 at 06:23AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

Hachiko is about a dog whose owner died at work one day and never came home. Hachiko would wait the rest of his life at the train station he always met his master at after the day’s work was done, not understanding his master would never come back. I just mentioned it because like Marley and Me it looked at the human/dog relationship.

Yeah, no. I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. I pretty much like exactly what you’re describing. Let me make myself a bit more clear: I think it’s cool when someone makes multiple series but they can all sort of tie into the same universe. Something like what William Faulkner did with his short stories. Each story was about different people, but it all happened within the same area. Each story could stand on it’s own, but fans of his work could easily piece together that it all happened within the same universe. Or like Beverly Clearly’s childrens’ books which all happened within the same world but each focused on one character at a time. Again, every story could be read on its own, but you could find bits from her other stories within it. You know, nothing like a huge ass story with tons of characters, but individual stories which can fit under the same roof. That’s pretty much what you’re describing, right? (Does that make more sense now?)

I totally get the wanting to be an entertainer bit. I would like to be animator someday to do the same, make the impossible somehow possible for others. To have them be able to visualize a world of fantasy through art… I want to make people think and smile and laugh and cry through my pen strokes.
I’m sure if you continue to dedicate yourself to your story, you’ll achieve that dream someday. Sounds interesting so far.

Thought I sent my message

Aw… I wanna look it up now…

Crap, I think I got it wrong…
Now when you say its all in the same world, are they actually in each other’s story? That’s what I’m planning, even a lead role can be a side role in another story arc… I thought you said that idea was scrapped in favor of making it into one story… bad idea…
I saw that animation of “I need blood”, you did an great job, but you do realize there is nothing that can save it from something that stupid, right?

If you don’t mind me asking, are you a furry? Do you know if there is someone I should tell? I draw so much inspiration from being a furry, I really love furry art, it just appreciate things again, even when I’m having a shit day, it makes me smile, I’d show a drawing of mine, but I don’t like to draw with a mouse, I don’t have a printer, I don’t wanna have a ms paint drawing either… I still believe being a furry is more then a hobby to me…

Sir Brown Bear, are you there?

Feb 08, 2014 at 03:45AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

Thought I sent my message

Aw… I wanna look it up now…

Crap, I think I got it wrong…
Now when you say its all in the same world, are they actually in each other’s story? That’s what I’m planning, even a lead role can be a side role in another story arc… I thought you said that idea was scrapped in favor of making it into one story… bad idea…
I saw that animation of “I need blood”, you did an great job, but you do realize there is nothing that can save it from something that stupid, right?

If you don’t mind me asking, are you a furry? Do you know if there is someone I should tell? I draw so much inspiration from being a furry, I really love furry art, it just appreciate things again, even when I’m having a shit day, it makes me smile, I’d show a drawing of mine, but I don’t like to draw with a mouse, I don’t have a printer, I don’t wanna have a ms paint drawing either… I still believe being a furry is more then a hobby to me…

Sir Brown Bear, are you there?

What I mean is I like multiple stories being able to intertwine, but in my personal story I ended up combining them into a main story to save time with comics and animating. Of course, given this is just a personal project, I can always change it back to it’s original format, but I’m just thinking in terms of what people would be willing to watch and what I’d be able to physically do.

“Something that stupid”? What do you mean?

I’m not a furry. I have furry friends, but I personally am not a furry. I do enjoy some furry art though (like any other type of art).

As for the art, maybe you could buy a tablet? Or perhaps you could just take pictures of what you draw by hand? Also, download Paint.NET. It’s a great program for beginners and hobbyists.

Feb 08, 2014 at 04:27AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

What I mean is I like multiple stories being able to intertwine, but in my personal story I ended up combining them into a main story to save time with comics and animating. Of course, given this is just a personal project, I can always change it back to it’s original format, but I’m just thinking in terms of what people would be willing to watch and what I’d be able to physically do.

“Something that stupid”? What do you mean?

I’m not a furry. I have furry friends, but I personally am not a furry. I do enjoy some furry art though (like any other type of art).

As for the art, maybe you could buy a tablet? Or perhaps you could just take pictures of what you draw by hand? Also, download Paint.NET. It’s a great program for beginners and hobbyists.

Ugh, I have a habit of trying something I’m not able… I need to stop being that cocky… I got a video game idea, for a starter, I heard it from some people who actually worked for the major game industries, start small! Which I’m gonna do; Has the idea of platformers that isn’t about fighting the bad guy, but cleverly avoiding them been done to death? That’s what I’m going for

What the hell is going on here? Can you really take this seriously?

… I really wish I had someone irl to tell this, want someone important to me to know…
You’re not American,are you?
Not implying that I think less of you

My brother has a tablet, he lets me borrow it, but I hate touch screens, why doesn’t it listen? I look like an idiot trying to work that thing, stuff is always opening, tabs won’t delete, the brush won’t work with me… GAHHHH

PaintNET… is it pretty much gimp?

Feb 08, 2014 at 04:47AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

Ugh, I have a habit of trying something I’m not able… I need to stop being that cocky… I got a video game idea, for a starter, I heard it from some people who actually worked for the major game industries, start small! Which I’m gonna do; Has the idea of platformers that isn’t about fighting the bad guy, but cleverly avoiding them been done to death? That’s what I’m going for

What the hell is going on here? Can you really take this seriously?

… I really wish I had someone irl to tell this, want someone important to me to know…
You’re not American,are you?
Not implying that I think less of you

My brother has a tablet, he lets me borrow it, but I hate touch screens, why doesn’t it listen? I look like an idiot trying to work that thing, stuff is always opening, tabs won’t delete, the brush won’t work with me… GAHHHH

PaintNET… is it pretty much gimp?

That’s good. I used to overestimate the work I could do and just end up getting in over my head. Starting off small is always the safe way to go.

Well, the idea is that it’s so bad it’s good (Like Sonichu). Just on a whim I decided to make that animation because I thought it was hilarious, not serious. Of course, I guess you could say I do take it “seriously” in a sense since I’ve dedicated a lot of work to it, but it’s all in good fun for me.

Really, is there no way to get in touch with the person you said you would trust? I know you said something about preferring to speak with him in person, but maybe you should really try to just talk to him at least. Sounds like you need to get it off your chest and talking online doesn’t always do that.

That was a little random but I am American born and raised. I am Japanese ethnically though if that explains anything.

Paint.NET in my opinion is far more user friendly (but, again, just my opinion). It has less options than gimp, but the ease of use makes up for that.

Feb 08, 2014 at 05:13AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

That’s good. I used to overestimate the work I could do and just end up getting in over my head. Starting off small is always the safe way to go.

Well, the idea is that it’s so bad it’s good (Like Sonichu). Just on a whim I decided to make that animation because I thought it was hilarious, not serious. Of course, I guess you could say I do take it “seriously” in a sense since I’ve dedicated a lot of work to it, but it’s all in good fun for me.

Really, is there no way to get in touch with the person you said you would trust? I know you said something about preferring to speak with him in person, but maybe you should really try to just talk to him at least. Sounds like you need to get it off your chest and talking online doesn’t always do that.

That was a little random but I am American born and raised. I am Japanese ethnically though if that explains anything.

Paint.NET in my opinion is far more user friendly (but, again, just my opinion). It has less options than gimp, but the ease of use makes up for that.

Like they said, mechanics should be simple, run and jump, maybe a little something on the side… I do have one idea for a starter.
(Here I go again_) As a starter, I’m keeping everything at a very simple level, I do want it just to be, go from left of the map, go all the way to the right… I’m making it about a rabbit who was locked into a cage (_what’s going on, I’ll leave it to the viewer’s imagination) the cage’s door comes loose, so he takes that chance and escapes and because I love Conker’s Bad Fur Day, it’s an homage to the game, I wanna do the thing where you’re invincible just for the tutorial level, but once you take that step outside, you can die now…
I wanna see how much I can push the limits of censors, I wanna have everything I make be violent, but not gory violent, I don’t like that actually… Just wanna see how far violence can go on a kid friendly game… I don’t show blood, so…

I am random… full Japanese? Wait a minute, Horrible Ghost, is that you? I’m Mexican American mix, just felt like saying that :/

I haven’t messed with gimp much, maybe that just takes getting use to :/

Feb 08, 2014 at 07:02AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

Like they said, mechanics should be simple, run and jump, maybe a little something on the side… I do have one idea for a starter.
(Here I go again_) As a starter, I’m keeping everything at a very simple level, I do want it just to be, go from left of the map, go all the way to the right… I’m making it about a rabbit who was locked into a cage (_what’s going on, I’ll leave it to the viewer’s imagination) the cage’s door comes loose, so he takes that chance and escapes and because I love Conker’s Bad Fur Day, it’s an homage to the game, I wanna do the thing where you’re invincible just for the tutorial level, but once you take that step outside, you can die now…
I wanna see how much I can push the limits of censors, I wanna have everything I make be violent, but not gory violent, I don’t like that actually… Just wanna see how far violence can go on a kid friendly game… I don’t show blood, so…

I am random… full Japanese? Wait a minute, Horrible Ghost, is that you? I’m Mexican American mix, just felt like saying that :/

I haven’t messed with gimp much, maybe that just takes getting use to :/

Bleh, I thought I replied to this.

That’s an interesting idea. I’ve never played Conker’s Bad Fur Day but I am familiar with it generally.

It’s good to push limits too. Some people may be against and some with you, but it can be interesting to test certain societal norms (though some type of violence seem to be pretty acceptable in certain American games so what type of violence are you thinking?).

Ha, yes. I have noticed Horrible Ghost and I do share similar traits. We’re both Japanese females with an artistic side. Perhaps I should get to know her.

Yeah, gimp takes a lot of getting used to. I’m still not used to it. I mean, it’s a great for a free program, but it’s just so difficult to become accustomed to for me.

Feb 11, 2014 at 05:56AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

Bleh, I thought I replied to this.

That’s an interesting idea. I’ve never played Conker’s Bad Fur Day but I am familiar with it generally.

It’s good to push limits too. Some people may be against and some with you, but it can be interesting to test certain societal norms (though some type of violence seem to be pretty acceptable in certain American games so what type of violence are you thinking?).

Ha, yes. I have noticed Horrible Ghost and I do share similar traits. We’re both Japanese females with an artistic side. Perhaps I should get to know her.

Yeah, gimp takes a lot of getting used to. I’m still not used to it. I mean, it’s a great for a free program, but it’s just so difficult to become accustomed to for me.

I know that feel…

play it, its fun…

Wondering about how far can I go, showing blood seems to try hard for me… like if you fell from really high up, they just smack into the ground, no blood splattering like it would in reality, but you still die, ever seen Tom&Jerry? I wanna be like that! Also, wondering about alcohol… can I show a lead role get drunk? Not willing, just sorta happened… they did in the classic cartoons, but then that stopped…
better yet, know where I can get info on what I can and can’t show based off censor ratings?

Dammit… whatever; Don’t suppose you’re an anti-brony, are you? She is, but likes the show, I know why though…

This will probably make me sound dumb, but it should be as simple as ms paint…
MS paint is simple, which I like…

Feb 11, 2014 at 08:01AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

I know that feel…

play it, its fun…

Wondering about how far can I go, showing blood seems to try hard for me… like if you fell from really high up, they just smack into the ground, no blood splattering like it would in reality, but you still die, ever seen Tom&Jerry? I wanna be like that! Also, wondering about alcohol… can I show a lead role get drunk? Not willing, just sorta happened… they did in the classic cartoons, but then that stopped…
better yet, know where I can get info on what I can and can’t show based off censor ratings?

Dammit… whatever; Don’t suppose you’re an anti-brony, are you? She is, but likes the show, I know why though…

This will probably make me sound dumb, but it should be as simple as ms paint…
MS paint is simple, which I like…

I don’t know about video games, but the Motion Picture Association of America has some info
Again, I don’t know if you can apply these rules to other media but I’d think they’d give you a general idea.

I kind of like those classic cartoon deaths in a way. I also like it when the creator addresses the fact that these cartoony deaths are in fact lethal (like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit). It’s be interesting to see something like that done again, to bring back the days old cartoon violence. You’d probably be able to build support off of the nostalgia factor alone.

I’m generally neutral toward the brony fandom. Some of my friends are bronies so I hear about MLP a lot, but I never did watch more than a few episodes.

You can use MS Paint if you want. It takes more effort to get quality work, but it’s certainly possible.

Feb 13, 2014 at 06:18AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

I don’t know about video games, but the Motion Picture Association of America has some info
Again, I don’t know if you can apply these rules to other media but I’d think they’d give you a general idea.

I kind of like those classic cartoon deaths in a way. I also like it when the creator addresses the fact that these cartoony deaths are in fact lethal (like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit). It’s be interesting to see something like that done again, to bring back the days old cartoon violence. You’d probably be able to build support off of the nostalgia factor alone.

I’m generally neutral toward the brony fandom. Some of my friends are bronies so I hear about MLP a lot, but I never did watch more than a few episodes.

You can use MS Paint if you want. It takes more effort to get quality work, but it’s certainly possible.

It shares its similarity with TV censors, if you’re gonna aim a game toward a kid, I doubt you can say dammit often… then again, on Donkey Kong 64, they said, “He’s one hell of a guy” once… still got a E rating…

I’ve only watched that movie once… I never got another chance to watch that movie again… I’m sad now;
Censors have changed though, back then, you could get away with cartoons showing people drinking or smoking, now cigarettes aren’t allowed to be advertised at all…
New topic just popped up, I’ve seen so much belittling in kids TV and games, its just annoying how much people act like there isn’t anything that could harm you in the real world, no major companies don’t put any characters in real danger, there is no risk, nothing to lose, coughZelda I love things like Donkey Kong because that game is creepy and unsettling, look up the Angry Aztec from Donkey Kong 64, or the first two Banjo Kazooie games, I think that game made it feel like there was something to lose… Rare games in particular made it feel like there was always something to lose, with games like Mario or Starfox, they don’t make anyone worth investing in when I don’t learn anything about them, what it means to them, or why they want to do this in the first place… Really, why should you care about Peach, the Mushroom Kingdom, the Lylat System, or Cornaria? We already know they’re not gonna be hurt, the hero always wins without a hesitation… I just wish I could figure out why the fans care about anything in the NIntendo universe, these characters are poorly written, underdeveloped, one dimensional, the worlds themselves are just plot devices that exist only to give false involvement…
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again… *FUCK NINTENDO

The show is pretty meh to me, its not that original to me… I hate most of the bronies, they’re all the same to me…

Ugh… its hard, wonder if there is a better sprite making program…

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:15AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

It shares its similarity with TV censors, if you’re gonna aim a game toward a kid, I doubt you can say dammit often… then again, on Donkey Kong 64, they said, “He’s one hell of a guy” once… still got a E rating…

I’ve only watched that movie once… I never got another chance to watch that movie again… I’m sad now;
Censors have changed though, back then, you could get away with cartoons showing people drinking or smoking, now cigarettes aren’t allowed to be advertised at all…
New topic just popped up, I’ve seen so much belittling in kids TV and games, its just annoying how much people act like there isn’t anything that could harm you in the real world, no major companies don’t put any characters in real danger, there is no risk, nothing to lose, coughZelda I love things like Donkey Kong because that game is creepy and unsettling, look up the Angry Aztec from Donkey Kong 64, or the first two Banjo Kazooie games, I think that game made it feel like there was something to lose… Rare games in particular made it feel like there was always something to lose, with games like Mario or Starfox, they don’t make anyone worth investing in when I don’t learn anything about them, what it means to them, or why they want to do this in the first place… Really, why should you care about Peach, the Mushroom Kingdom, the Lylat System, or Cornaria? We already know they’re not gonna be hurt, the hero always wins without a hesitation… I just wish I could figure out why the fans care about anything in the NIntendo universe, these characters are poorly written, underdeveloped, one dimensional, the worlds themselves are just plot devices that exist only to give false involvement…
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again… *FUCK NINTENDO

The show is pretty meh to me, its not that original to me… I hate most of the bronies, they’re all the same to me…

Ugh… its hard, wonder if there is a better sprite making program…

Well, censors are kind of a complex thing and I have some pretty long opinions on both the pros and cons, but for now let’s just discuss them from a creator’s standpoint. Really the creators are the ones who suffer the most from censors because they restrict creativity.

And as for Nintendo, I think that’s just how they are. They’ll always be that family-friendly company who mostly caters to the non-gamer and not-serious gamer crowd. I think this pic sums up my feelings:

Bronies are pretty much like any other fandom to me, but the radical ones are… interesting…

Like I said, I recommend Paint.NET. I used this tutorial when I made my first sprite.

Feb 13, 2014 at 05:26PM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

Well, censors are kind of a complex thing and I have some pretty long opinions on both the pros and cons, but for now let’s just discuss them from a creator’s standpoint. Really the creators are the ones who suffer the most from censors because they restrict creativity.

And as for Nintendo, I think that’s just how they are. They’ll always be that family-friendly company who mostly caters to the non-gamer and not-serious gamer crowd. I think this pic sums up my feelings:

Bronies are pretty much like any other fandom to me, but the radical ones are… interesting…

Like I said, I recommend Paint.NET. I used this tutorial when I made my first sprite.

No! Only I censor me!!!

Where did you find that? I was looking for that

I think I’ve figured out my style though… In my world, the main focus in all of my stories are to hammer in the fact that… you’re not a super warrior who can fight their way through legions of monsters… it seems inconsistent if I did make it that way to me though…
Like this platformer game that I will make, you’re not jumping on enemies, fighting huge bosses, he’s just a rabbit, he doesn’t want to fight, he just wants to go home…
Or like this adventure game (I’ll make sure its awesome_) I’ll make (_with real voice actors), that I want the idea of the game isn’t fighting your way through all the bad guys, but to out smart them, I wanted it to possible to be killed as easily as it should be in real life, there are times where you will have to fight, but I don’t want some stupid deus ex machina that just happens to be to be able to defeat the boss of the level, I want the player to be able to find a chance to defeat a monster 4 time bigger then them, not by brute strength either, I want some clever thinking to defeat these things; One thing that always bugged me about all adventure games is the fact that almost all the time, the hero could just wipe out armies of fighters, I don’t like that, it makes the villains look… non threatening, aren’t the bad guys suppose to be, I don’t know, threatening?

“Interesting”? Please do tell more…

On it…

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:51PM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

No! Only I censor me!!!

Where did you find that? I was looking for that

I think I’ve figured out my style though… In my world, the main focus in all of my stories are to hammer in the fact that… you’re not a super warrior who can fight their way through legions of monsters… it seems inconsistent if I did make it that way to me though…
Like this platformer game that I will make, you’re not jumping on enemies, fighting huge bosses, he’s just a rabbit, he doesn’t want to fight, he just wants to go home…
Or like this adventure game (I’ll make sure its awesome_) I’ll make (_with real voice actors), that I want the idea of the game isn’t fighting your way through all the bad guys, but to out smart them, I wanted it to possible to be killed as easily as it should be in real life, there are times where you will have to fight, but I don’t want some stupid deus ex machina that just happens to be to be able to defeat the boss of the level, I want the player to be able to find a chance to defeat a monster 4 time bigger then them, not by brute strength either, I want some clever thinking to defeat these things; One thing that always bugged me about all adventure games is the fact that almost all the time, the hero could just wipe out armies of fighters, I don’t like that, it makes the villains look… non threatening, aren’t the bad guys suppose to be, I don’t know, threatening?

“Interesting”? Please do tell more…

On it…

Found it in the Video Game Logic high score gallery.

You know, I’m glad I started talking to you because that sounds like an honestly interesting game. I’m not so much into gaming myself, but I would play that game. It sounds like the type that would really get you invested. I don’t think I realized that problem myself in gaming (the whole hero being able to kill enemies to the point where they become practically non-threatening). It sort of reminds me of the Walking Dead Game in the sense of each enemy being threatening and getting you invested in the story.

Welp, the cringeworthy gallery and cringeworthy thread have great examples of “radicals”.

Feb 15, 2014 at 01:55AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

Found it in the Video Game Logic high score gallery.

You know, I’m glad I started talking to you because that sounds like an honestly interesting game. I’m not so much into gaming myself, but I would play that game. It sounds like the type that would really get you invested. I don’t think I realized that problem myself in gaming (the whole hero being able to kill enemies to the point where they become practically non-threatening). It sort of reminds me of the Walking Dead Game in the sense of each enemy being threatening and getting you invested in the story.

Welp, the cringeworthy gallery and cringeworthy thread have great examples of “radicals”.

Found it

Hm… do you do other then that J animation look? Just wondering, but if I showed you a drawing of mine, can you show me what you can do? Because I may be able to whip up a quick (and crappy) drawing that you can maybe animate (preferable not paint)? That would be awesome if you did…
I don’t know if I should do this, the whole point about this is to immerse people into another world, yet I kinda wanna stay in touch with reality, in my world, there are still people, but other things that we can’t explain, plus, I really wanna follow that rule, show, don’t tell, I don’t wanna introduce too much, because that would mean I have to explain… explanations don’t make a story good, its just annoying…
I’m trying to be everything here, I wanna show that my world can be dark, without seeming out of place, that it can be bright and colorful, mysterious, maybe even magical… The fact that I don’t have an identity is my advantage right now, can’t afford to let this slip…
It just got so annoying about the empowerment in adventure games, you don’t need powers to be a hero… another thing, the lead role in the adventure game I had planned for him to be 15, seems right to me, and because I love Rare too much, I’m making that idea they had for Dinosaur Planet real… an adventure game where you can switch between two protagonists! You don’t know how much Rare means to me… I really love them, they’re the whole reason I wanna do this…

Feb 15, 2014 at 05:29AM EST
Quote

Jeff dumbham wrote:

Found it

Hm… do you do other then that J animation look? Just wondering, but if I showed you a drawing of mine, can you show me what you can do? Because I may be able to whip up a quick (and crappy) drawing that you can maybe animate (preferable not paint)? That would be awesome if you did…
I don’t know if I should do this, the whole point about this is to immerse people into another world, yet I kinda wanna stay in touch with reality, in my world, there are still people, but other things that we can’t explain, plus, I really wanna follow that rule, show, don’t tell, I don’t wanna introduce too much, because that would mean I have to explain… explanations don’t make a story good, its just annoying…
I’m trying to be everything here, I wanna show that my world can be dark, without seeming out of place, that it can be bright and colorful, mysterious, maybe even magical… The fact that I don’t have an identity is my advantage right now, can’t afford to let this slip…
It just got so annoying about the empowerment in adventure games, you don’t need powers to be a hero… another thing, the lead role in the adventure game I had planned for him to be 15, seems right to me, and because I love Rare too much, I’m making that idea they had for Dinosaur Planet real… an adventure game where you can switch between two protagonists! You don’t know how much Rare means to me… I really love them, they’re the whole reason I wanna do this…

Frame by frame traditional with an anime style is my main style, but I can do other things. If it’s a simple animation, I can probably give it a try.

I really like ambiguity because of how it leads viewers to ask questions, discuss, and ultimately make the story more memorable so I like how your going with that. Too much explanation really kills me sometimes.

So you plan to work at Rare then? Not to familiar with the developer though.

Feb 15, 2014 at 06:29AM EST
Quote

MedleyManiac wrote:

Frame by frame traditional with an anime style is my main style, but I can do other things. If it’s a simple animation, I can probably give it a try.

I really like ambiguity because of how it leads viewers to ask questions, discuss, and ultimately make the story more memorable so I like how your going with that. Too much explanation really kills me sometimes.

So you plan to work at Rare then? Not to familiar with the developer though.

Ugh… I shouldn’t be afraid to show my work… I don’t mind simple animations, can you show him making just simple expressions? Its all good…
Just a request if you do take it, I’m kinda going for a cartoon look, nothing too out of reality, but still not out of place, I don’t want King of the Hill style, but don’t want Tiny Toons esque movements, I’m sure you’ll get it the moment you see it…

That’s more crap I’ve seen in J animation again- excused for being Japanese…. I’m just torturing myself again, acting like I can cause change, in the end, dumbshits will always act like J animation has some dignity, some credibility, some originality, when in reality, it doesn’t care about whats going on in their world, all that matters is to make as much cash off it, while putting little effort into it… I feel like I’m the only one who sees this, I wish people got a better understanding of a good narrative, maybe they would see how much majority of these shows blow…
I strayed again, to me, a story should be more about the characters, not the plot, why should I care if I don’t know what they’re after means to them? If I don’t know anything about these characters, where’s the immersion? If the lead is only trying to move the plot forward, what’s the point? Just wishing people could wise up…

Uh… no… they’ve been doing poorly, I wanna be the real incarnation of Rare, Retro doesn’t count, they haven’t really worked on their own project…

Feb 15, 2014 at 04:45PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!