Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,709 total conversations in 9,942 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Fighting Game Announcements

Last posted Apr 20, 2014 at 12:46AM EDT. Added Feb 04, 2014 at 02:38PM EST
110 posts from 21 users

clash of LE users gold111! wrote:

OK, from now on, post your questions on this thread whenever you feel like it, and we'll get to them when we can. Thanks for your support.

Dejectedly,
Karma Removal Unit.

Did you just bump your own thread intentionally?

I'm also going to jump in and ask what the purpose of making a separate thread was.

The old thread wasn't being used, so it could have been converted into a Q and A.

For that matter, why was a Q and A made?

Sir Crona Crescent Duke of Landwales wrote:

Can you give us some kind of full roster of characters instead of everyone asking "Is X in it?" And if not, am I in it?

They're a secret.

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 01:58AM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I'm also going to jump in and ask what the purpose of making a separate thread was.

The old thread wasn't being used, so it could have been converted into a Q and A.

For some odd reason, I couldn't edit my quote at the beginning of the thread! So Big Blue told us to start fresh and make a new one. It was too far gone, anyway. Hence…this.

SmackerJack wrote:

For some odd reason, I couldn't edit my quote at the beginning of the thread! So Big Blue told us to start fresh and make a new one. It was too far gone, anyway. Hence…this.

I assume you mean in the previous thread. If that's the case, half hour limit on editing and deleting posts. We've been through this. You should ask a moderator to do any edits or deletions outside of this time frame. Also, there was no request for a lock on the previous thread. If you all want it locked, I'd recommend requesting one.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

We wanted to interact with the community a bit more and avoid keeping you guys in the dark. We're also really proud of the progress we've made, and we wanted to share that with you.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I assume you mean in the previous thread. If that's the case, half hour limit on editing and deleting posts. We've been through this. You should ask a moderator to do any edits or deletions outside of this time frame. Also, there was no request for a lock on the previous thread. If you all want it locked, I'd recommend requesting one.

We left a lock request on BSOD's wall before making this thread.

Last edited Feb 04, 2014 at 06:01PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Well, I did, and that's what he said/

Alright, I've locked the thread. I guess you guys weren't aware that BSoD sleeps around this time. He lives in New Zealand… I think. Definitely one of those unimportant backwater, boomerang flinging areas.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

OP posts can be made editable regardless of when it was posted, in case of forum games and such which receive updates over time. It would've been an easy solution.

If you can settle with the above, I can just unlock that one, make your OP post editable, and you can continue from there. We'll then lock this one.

Last edited Feb 04, 2014 at 06:08PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

OP posts can be made editable regardless of when it was posted, in case of forum games and such which receive updates over time. It would've been an easy solution.

If you can settle with the above, I can just unlock that one, make your OP post editable, and you can continue from there. We'll then lock this one.

Right, I forgot we could do that. We rarely ever get a chance to do that.

Okay, I got a few questions:

What is this? Can someone give me a brief summary assuming this will have a plot? And how did you go about choosing who would be in it?

MedleyManiac wrote:

Okay, I got a few questions:

What is this? Can someone give me a brief summary assuming this will have a plot? And how did you go about choosing who would be in it?

1. This is a fighting game starring the users of KYM.
2. We haven't finalized the plot yet, but there will be one and it will be good.
3. Do you mean "in it" as a playable character or "in it" as involved with the development?

Last edited Feb 04, 2014 at 06:50PM EST

Genesis Does wrote:

1. This is a fighting game starring the users of KYM.
2. We haven't finalized the plot yet, but there will be one and it will be good.
3. Do you mean "in it" as a playable character or "in it" as involved with the development?

I meant in as in in the game itself.

But now I would also like to know how you chose who would be developing it.

Well, we aren't adding any more playable characters, but if you want on the development team, we need people who are committed and have a skill we need. Right now, we are in need of artists, programmers, and designers. Talk to SmackerJack if you are interested. You will be asked to provide a sample of your work. Also, and I cannot stress this enough, there are no "idea guys". To quote Extra Credits, ideas are cheap. Execution is priceless.

MedleyManiac wrote:

But how did you go about deciding who was in the game as in literally a character in the game?

It was a combination of people who thought of the game, people who wanted to be in the game and things from KYM the people who thought of the game thought was amusing.

Well, we picked who would be the most recognizable, and the people who were most adaptable to fiction. For example, SmackerJack has a symbol and a persona: A Zangoose that found its way onto the internet. Other than that, we just kinda went with our gut.

By the way, what ever happened to me writing for the game? You never really gave a "yay" or "nay" answer. You said "Great!", but I need a little more confirmation.

ATTENTION ALL PEOPLE, LEND ME YOUR EARS!

We are currently looking for voice actors/actress for the game, so if you have the golden voice that you think needs to be heard in the game, please ask jack for details!

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

It was a combination of people who thought of the game, people who wanted to be in the game and things from KYM the people who thought of the game thought was amusing.

Which makes me ask the following question: In what way is this a KYM Fighting game?

Most of the character roster consists of minor users, most selections in there probably involving cronyism and folks who just happened to help in the creation. One opponent character is a permabanned troll nobody remembers. Your final boss character literally doesn't have anything related to KYM, but is just a character from a different game series.

It's ok to make a fighting game and share info here, but is this really a KYM fighting game or just KYM users getting together to make a game and we guess it's about KYM but probably not? There's a difference between community projects started on KYM, and community projects about KYM.

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 06:35PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Which makes me ask the following question: In what way is this a KYM Fighting game?

Most of the character roster consists of minor users, most selections in there probably involving cronyism and folks who just happened to help in the creation. One opponent character is a permabanned troll nobody remembers. Your final boss character literally doesn't have anything related to KYM, but is just a character from a different game series.

It's ok to make a fighting game and share info here, but is this really a KYM fighting game or just KYM users getting together to make a game and we guess it's about KYM but probably not? There's a difference between community projects started on KYM, and community projects about KYM.

Really good question. We're trying to make things as relevant as possible, with Devs only making cameos at most. If you want to help us out, feel free.

RandomMan wrote:

Well… you have a point. But, at least the way I see it, the game is less about KYM and more about the internet as a whole, as a living, breathing world with its own rules and logic. It was born from our fascination with the vastness, with the idea of an undisturbed ecosystem populated by points of data and unfiltered information, where people can construct their own identities and become legends. And really, that fascination is why this site exists, isn't it? That's certainly why I'm here. That's what we're trying to capture. The spirit of the site and the internet.

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 07:03PM EST

Mandl Brought wrote:

Really good question. We're trying to make things as relevant as possible, with Devs only making cameos at most. If you want to help us out, feel free.

That's not really answering my question though. Because how are you planning to do that with, I repeat myself, most of the character roster being semi-minor users or folks not even related to KYM?

Looking at the previous thread, most of the fighter related discussion (fighting style and moveset) is about the devs. With that I can conclude that they're playable characters in the game. Which then makes "cameos at most" for them highly unlikely.

And I'm rejecting that last offer, as I already did in the past. Too busy. I'm only a character in it because I was approached, and I leave the devs up to what I will be as I'm indifferent about it.

Genesis Does wrote:

Well… you have a point. But, at least the way I see it, the game is less about KYM and more about the internet as a whole, as a living, breathing world with its own rules and logic. It was born from our fascination with the vastness, with the idea of an undisturbed ecosystem populated by points of data and unfiltered information, where people can construct their own identities and become legends. And really, that fascination is why this site exists, isn’t it? That’s certainly why I’m here.

That's doesn't really answer why the game apparently centers around KYM if we have to believe the title for it. It more answers how it apparently isn't a KYM fighting game.

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 07:06PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

That's not really answering my question though. Because how are you planning to do that with, I repeat myself, most of the character roster being semi-minor users or folks not even related to KYM?

Looking at the previous thread, most of the fighter related discussion (fighting style and moveset) is about the devs. With that I can conclude that they're playable characters in the game. Which then makes "cameos at most" for them highly unlikely.

And I'm rejecting that last offer, as I already did in the past. Too busy. I'm only a character in it because I was approached, and I leave the devs up to what I will be as I'm indifferent about it.

Genesis Does wrote:

Well… you have a point. But, at least the way I see it, the game is less about KYM and more about the internet as a whole, as a living, breathing world with its own rules and logic. It was born from our fascination with the vastness, with the idea of an undisturbed ecosystem populated by points of data and unfiltered information, where people can construct their own identities and become legends. And really, that fascination is why this site exists, isn’t it? That’s certainly why I’m here.

That's doesn't really answer why the game apparently centers around KYM if we have to believe the title for it. It more answers how it apparently isn't a KYM fighting game.

It centered around KYM because this is the place where everything is documented. every meme, trend, and, recently, controversial issue is documented here in some capacity or another. The game is more about the internet because KYM is about the internet.

RandomMan wrote:

Genesis Does wrote:

It centers around the ideals of KYM, but it takes place in every corner of the internet. It's one of those games where the real star is the world. Next question.

RandomMan wrote:

Genesis Does wrote:

Yeah, actually, I sort of lied about them being "just cameos"… Well, initially, anyways. I notified the Dev team of your point, to be honest they really didn't react much, and unfortunately I'm just a writer who can't edit the actual characters.
Again, I think some of the minor users should be knocked down to cameos, but I can't do anything about that.

Hey RM, just jumping in because 2v2 sounds a lot more fun than 2v1. Haha.

It centered around KYM because this is the place where everything is documented. every meme, trend, and, recently, controversial issue is documented here in some capacity or another. The game is more about the internet because KYM is about the internet.

But that's not what the fighting game is about at all. I happened to see and remember your roster. It's users on this site, a troll from this site and injokes from this site. None of this is really internet related.

It centers around the ideals of KYM, but it takes place in every corner of the internet. It’s one of those games where the real star is the world. Next question.

Unless SmackerJack lied about the roster, that really isn't the case. If he did lie about the roster, there was no need to edit his posts out. Also, you can't just tell people to move on from questions. That never works out during Q&A. It's known as "dodging questions".

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Hey RM, just jumping in because 2v2 sounds a lot more fun than 2v1. Haha.

But that's not what the fighting game is about at all. I happened to see and remember your roster. It's users on this site, a troll from this site and injokes from this site. None of this is really internet related.

It centers around the ideals of KYM, but it takes place in every corner of the internet. It’s one of those games where the real star is the world. Next question.

Unless SmackerJack lied about the roster, that really isn't the case. If he did lie about the roster, there was no need to edit his posts out. Also, you can't just tell people to move on from questions. That never works out during Q&A. It's known as "dodging questions".

….No. I didn't lie. And I admit that I should of held back in telling everyone. It was a fuck-up on my part, and I'm sorry.

RandomMan wrote:

Genesis Does wrote:

Ok, RandomMan, you know what they did? They took your complaint, read it, replied, and threw it in the trash. They wanted to make a game about themselves, not KYM. Direct quote from one of them was "Fuck the critics." They didn't really do anything, saying that it would "cost too much", when in reality the total time we spent actually doing anything was about a day, and our money spent was zero. This project went directly from a cool idea to a highway to hell, all because someone didn't want to lower their ego.

SmackerJack wrote:

….No. I didn't lie. And I admit that I should of held back in telling everyone. It was a fuck-up on my part, and I'm sorry.

From which we can conclude that the "Star", as Genesis Does pointed out, will be mainly the devs' adventures on the internet.

"Every corner of the internet" is more the setting where it takes place from what I gather. KYM's part as a setting is very minimal, making calling it a "KYM" Fighting Game mostly superficial.

KYM's biggest involvement in the game is providing most of the character roster. Which can also be questioned, because the developers sharing accounts on KYM doesn't really make their in-game character KYM-related.

I apologize. We don’t want to fight you guys, but we are going to defend our decisions. The roster does not define the game. The mechanics and the story do.

The game, it's setting, and the roster are your decisions. We won't request you to change those, as it's your project. But with the current decisions you guys made, the title doesn't really match the content of the game. It would be advisable for them to discuss a change in title. This should bring no harm in the current decisions made.

Ok, RandomMan, you know what they did? They took your complaint, read it, replied, and threw it in the trash. They wanted to make a game about themselves, not KYM. Direct quote from one of them was “Fuck the critics.” They didn’t really do anything, saying that it would “cost too much”, when in reality the total time we spent actually doing anything was about a day, and our money spent was zero. This project went directly from a cool idea to a highway to hell, all because someone didn’t want to lower their ego.

Whether that is true or not isn't my concern. And if they consider my points trashbag material, that's their decision. I'm not making that game.

If they want to make a game about themselves, that's their choice, but if the focus is themselves then I'm sticking with "KYM Fighting Game" being completely unrelated.

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 07:57PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

From which we can conclude that the "Star", as Genesis Does pointed out, will be mainly the devs' adventures on the internet.

"Every corner of the internet" is more the setting where it takes place from what I gather. KYM's part as a setting is very minimal, making calling it a "KYM" Fighting Game mostly superficial.

KYM's biggest involvement in the game is providing most of the character roster. Which can also be questioned, because the developers sharing accounts on KYM doesn't really make their in-game character KYM-related.

I apologize. We don’t want to fight you guys, but we are going to defend our decisions. The roster does not define the game. The mechanics and the story do.

The game, it's setting, and the roster are your decisions. We won't request you to change those, as it's your project. But with the current decisions you guys made, the title doesn't really match the content of the game. It would be advisable for them to discuss a change in title. This should bring no harm in the current decisions made.

Ok, RandomMan, you know what they did? They took your complaint, read it, replied, and threw it in the trash. They wanted to make a game about themselves, not KYM. Direct quote from one of them was “Fuck the critics.” They didn’t really do anything, saying that it would “cost too much”, when in reality the total time we spent actually doing anything was about a day, and our money spent was zero. This project went directly from a cool idea to a highway to hell, all because someone didn’t want to lower their ego.

Whether that is true or not isn't my concern. And if they consider my points trashbag material, that's their decision. I'm not making that game.

If they want to make a game about themselves, that's their choice, but if the focus is themselves then I'm sticking with "KYM Fighting Game" being completely unrelated.

That's it…? Oh, well, hell! All we need is a slight title change! As for Coffee….I didn't say that I consider your opinions to be trash bag material. In fact, i'm quite happy that this is happening. I want more feedback from you, actually. That way, we learn and we grow.

SmackerJack wrote:

That's it…? Oh, well, hell! All we need is a slight title change! As for Coffee….I didn't say that I consider your opinions to be trash bag material. In fact, i'm quite happy that this is happening. I want more feedback from you, actually. That way, we learn and we grow.

Right now I'm wondering what the ratio gratitude to saving face is there.

But let's leave that aside. You're free to make a community project like everyone else here, you just have to realize that right now it's not really about KYM but just yourselves on the internet.

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 08:01PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!