Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,710 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Weekly Art Challenge

Last posted Jun 04, 2014 at 11:25AM EDT. Added May 07, 2014 at 05:43AM EDT
39 posts from 14 users

Anyone wanting to better themselves in an artistic medium. This art challenge will be built so that literally anyone of any type of skill can still participate. Very skilled artists can refresh and build upon what they already know, and new artists can gain experience in areas they are weak in.
The topic and complexity of the challenge will change weekly. Why weekly? Because this site is a global user site, and people's lives and schedules can be hectic. So, to keep it as casual as possible, while still keeping it fun and relevant, a week is an appropriate amount of time.
KYM is a community comprised of people spanning all corners of the globe; ideals, interests, ages, ethnicities, and aspirations are diverse here, and somehow we(most of the time) manage to get along quite well. Not only that, we manage to aid and help one another in various ways.(be it providing information, or simply lifting spirits with a humorous gif) So, with this being a community, it only makes sense to have a community driven art challenge.
I expect this thread to evolve several times, but for now here is the basics- After each new challenge is submitted, one week will be allotted to complete it.
During the week of the challenge, you can submit the finished product at anytime during the week. We as a group, will then discuss everyone's submissions giving positive critique on the weeks topic.
While the week is progressing though, the thread will be open to discussion related to the weeks topic and all other art related discussion ie- technique. This will allow more experienced artists to give aid and advice to the not so experienced.
Now, I'm wanting to keep this as casual as possible, with a "no obligation" type of vibe. So, if for any reason a user isn't able to adhere to the guidelines I've set, then it'll be completely fine to do whats best by the user's wishes. (ex- the user will be on a trip 2 days prior to the submission day and will not have internet access, then submitting early or late will be completely acceptable)
Also, ANY medium is accepted. Digital art, inks, pencil, wood burning, sculpting, glass staining, any means of completing the challenge will be accepted.
Like I said, this is casual and will probably evolve to fit everyone's needs. The guidelines are merely guidelines to keep the tread on track.

Week two

This weeks challenge- Recreate your favorite mythical object from 3 different angles.
Pick an artifact from any fandom, movie, book, etc. and recreate it from three different perspective angles. The focus of this weeks challenge is consistency. The purpose of the challenge is to grow upon your ability to create something from any vantage point, while remaining consistent in shape, dimensions, and style. I promise I won't be late this time, and have fun!

Last edited May 15, 2014 at 02:45PM EDT

Conman The Terrible wrote:

Is it okay if we submit more than one drawing?

Absolutely. Personally, I'm going to submit both a digital and a traditional one as I badly need practice with both. I just ask that you keep it to one post as to keep the thread tidy. Of course, thats only a suggestion.

Love the idea OP, although I will not be participating (terribad drawing skills and whatnot). But I can still help in my own way, so I made the OP post editable. This should make it easier for you to update the thread as the challenges move along.

RandomMan wrote:

Love the idea OP, although I will not be participating (terribad drawing skills and whatnot). But I can still help in my own way, so I made the OP post editable. This should make it easier for you to update the thread as the challenges move along.

Thanks man. Very much appreciated.

If you're unable to draw/create a flower then as long as it is a black and white that focusus on lighting and shading then I think that it will be in the spirit of the challenge and I will gladly accept it. As I said, I expect this thread to evolve several times before it gets going on full stride.
The object of the weekly challenge isn't to win. It is to create something outside your comfort zone. Thus, by accepting and completing the challenge, you better yourself as an artist in total. Now, as for being comedic or dynamic, feel free to interpret the challenge by any means. Be as creative as you wish. If you even wish to create a comic strip that'd be fine as well. As I've said, this weeks challenge is to focus on lighting and shading. The flowers are merely a medium to complete it.
Thanks man. Those are the types of contributions I was expecting and appreciate the participation.
Last edited May 08, 2014 at 12:39AM EDT

Did someone say art challenge?

(Though I probably won't participate all the time. Also, it's kind of easier for me to just post it when I do finish or I might forget.)

Lantern Larry wrote:

If you're unable to draw/create a flower then as long as it is a black and white that focusus on lighting and shading then I think that it will be in the spirit of the challenge and I will gladly accept it. As I said, I expect this thread to evolve several times before it gets going on full stride.
The object of the weekly challenge isn't to win. It is to create something outside your comfort zone. Thus, by accepting and completing the challenge, you better yourself as an artist in total. Now, as for being comedic or dynamic, feel free to interpret the challenge by any means. Be as creative as you wish. If you even wish to create a comic strip that'd be fine as well. As I've said, this weeks challenge is to focus on lighting and shading. The flowers are merely a medium to complete it.
Thanks man. Those are the types of contributions I was expecting and appreciate the participation.

Oh, as long as it is black and white~? My pencils are always ready for that~! :3

Are there any restrictions on how / what we draw on? Say, are we only allowed to use pencils, pens and paper? Are we allowed to create digital images like vectors or fractals? Etc.

Menthol wrote:

Are there any restrictions on how / what we draw on? Say, are we only allowed to use pencils, pens and paper? Are we allowed to create digital images like vectors or fractals? Etc.

I'm certain he wants a image, probably doesn't matter because he said it can be dynamic and personalized.

Menthol wrote:

I don't want this challenge to be restricted by medium. I stated before in the specifics of the challenge, that ANY medium will be accepted. Be it wood burning, sculpting, glass staining, felt cutouts, etc. So if you want to use charcoal on canvas, or stylus on Wacom tablet, that'd be great. The true purpose of the weekly challenge is to build yourself up in your own medium using your own style. Outside that, its purely just for fun, so have fun with it.

Hey, thats all I could ask for. Honestly, that one is probably going to be better than my traditional submission. I forgot to mention that I'm not very good myself and thats why I've started this art challenge up. I'll compile yours at the end of the week.

Overall I think you did quite well. You used a single light source and built nicely off of it. I'll probably use only a single light source as well since multiple light sources are over my head currently. I give you 5 stars for this week.

"When you're already seeing amazing submissions that will probably shite all over your own"

Update- I know now that it was wrong to have everyone submit on one day. So now, you can post the finished product whenever and we will dicuss all of them at the end of the week instead. I believe that will be a better format.

Lantern Larry wrote:

"When you're already seeing amazing submissions that will probably shite all over your own"

Update- I know now that it was wrong to have everyone submit on one day. So now, you can post the finished product whenever and we will dicuss all of them at the end of the week instead. I believe that will be a better format.

I look how your gif looks very sarcastic even though you're sincere.

Okay here it is, SInce i ended up scaning each drawing on the paper individually i have to post them in a spoiler to keep them from taking up room.

There were other flowers but these were the best. I like the Rafflesia best. PLease share opinionated and stuff. My god im tired im posting this at 12:24 am my brain is djdyabknlkying

Last edited May 13, 2014 at 12:25AM EDT

So I did my dad's favorite flower, the pikake. Below is two versions of my drawing. I scanned it as seen on the right, but I didn't like how it turned out so I took a picture of it as on the left. When I scanned it, the more subtle tones just didn't come out; however, when I scan it the image is usually more high def so I just put both.

Reference

(As you can see, I got lazy and didn't do the rest of the buds and leaves)

Last edited May 13, 2014 at 07:14AM EDT

OPs late but he delivered.

Sorry about that guys. You all did well to participate in the art challenge and I can't even seem to show up on time. I have been swamped with work and school so at least I have a somewhat decent reason.

Here's mine:
I chose the spider lily because we had a bunch growing around our house as a kid, and it grew to become my favorite flower.

Now, on to the other submissions:

I love the simplicity of it. It adhered to the challenges theme perfectly.

Your's is my second favorite behind Medley's. The sheer depth of shadow and lighting is amazing. The realism makes me believe that I'm looking at a true rose.

You really had a grasp on the point of the challenge. It wasn't to focus on the art itself as it was to focus on the lighting and shading. I think you achieved that quite nicely.

And of course, your's was my favorite. Not only do you have a firm grasp on lighting and shading, but you are quite comfortable with your medium and have a mastery of realism. Everyone here could learn a thing or two from you.

It's late. I have the next challenge lined up but I'll wait to post it in the morning. For now, bask in the glory that is progress. And if OP can get his shit together, we might just have a successful weekly art challenge.

Well, AnimationNation, for your hard work you also deserve a quick critique:

I like the shading and lighting on the thin stamens the best. They pop out like a picture. In my opinion, the petals could use some more shading in regards to blending the tones because as is it seems a bit too "harsh" for how a petal should be. However, the "harsh" shading makes for an interesting contrast with the soft bit of fuzz in the middle and the neutral background. Overall great job.

MedleyManiac wrote:

Well, AnimationNation, for your hard work you also deserve a quick critique:

I like the shading and lighting on the thin stamens the best. They pop out like a picture. In my opinion, the petals could use some more shading in regards to blending the tones because as is it seems a bit too "harsh" for how a petal should be. However, the "harsh" shading makes for an interesting contrast with the soft bit of fuzz in the middle and the neutral background. Overall great job.

Honestly, I half-assed this one. I was crunched for time, so I put very little effort into it. I just didn't want to show up empty handed. Luckily, my schedule is becoming more routine so I'll be able to plan for these challenges better. I promise to only put in %100 from here on out. And thanks for the honest review.

sry, i subbed to this thread, but i guess it only works for new posts, not edited posts (like the first post), so i forgot to check this week becasue i thought i'd be notified :P

Will I be the only one to submit?

I was trying to do Naglfar, a longboat in Norse mythology that was made out of the nails and hair of the dead. Since it's actual appearance varies greatly depending on interpretation I ended up using the Oseberg and Gokstad ships, two well preserved viking burial ships, as my reference. I also did some drawings of Mjolnir but a switched to Naglfar when I though that it was too simple. In hindsight, I should have had the keel visible from the inside of the bottom two ships.

I probably won't be using color in my drawing's until i'm satisfied with my progress in pencil art.

Last edited May 21, 2014 at 10:39PM EDT

Wow. Ironically, I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I too, am subscribed to this thread like many others, yet this thread is the only thread I don't receive notifications for. I realize that I'm the op, but still, I should have been more on top of this. Whats worse, Conman The Terrible put his heart into that challenge. I'm going to get this fixed by tomorrow. It's been an uneventful first two weeks. I'm going to rework this challenge and vastly improve it.

For now, all I can give is respect to Conman for not only completing the challenge, but excelling at it as well.(You're getting better…practice…you can never get enough.

^
Maybe I can suggest an idea for a challenge for this week, if I may.
The challenge is to draw two distinct facial expression of the same character.
The character can be anything from humans to toasters, from TV shows to OCs. It don't have to be from the same angle, it just have to show identifiable emotions. The focus for this challenge is character emotions, as well as consistency, again. Deadline is a week from now, and I'll be posting mine.

Sounds good?

Last edited May 28, 2014 at 09:14AM EDT

If I may give a tip for that: Expression Meme.

It's basically just creating various facial expressions for the same character, for the exact reason to practice with facial expressions (and for fun). Countless templates exist for it, but I'll just give you guys a big one so you can fill it up to as much as you're comfortable with.

Should OP fail to deliver a challenge again, and the participants of this thread can come up with challenges each week, just have one of you shoot me a PM and I can update the OP post for you.

Well I guess this thread is dead now. But as the acting OP of this thread, I promised to deliver, and I did. Here's mine.

Oh btw, this wife horse from MLP being determined and angry.

Last edited Jun 04, 2014 at 07:44AM EDT

You can launch a new thread if you want to yourself QWERTY, become the new OP. Or let someone who wants to be the new OP launch a new thread. Likewise to this thread I'll just make the OP post editable.

It's up to the majority.

Last edited Jun 04, 2014 at 11:26AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!