Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

1,509 total conversations in 40 threads

+ New Thread


It's time to clear the air between our users.

Last posted Aug 04, 2014 at 09:08PM EDT. Added Jul 17, 2014 at 10:31PM EDT
162 posts from 61 users

So, taking part in various KYM groups that exist on the site, I’ve come to realize that many users don’t have great opinions of other users. A great example would be the IRC and the moderators.

I’ve also come to realize that many of us are not as different as we think. We just seem to misunderstand some things, or are unable to let things go.

I figured this thread would be made so we can all take the time to actually let other mods and users know exactly why we don’t like them. Maybe we can discuss and explain ourselves. And in doing so, maybe we can reach an understanding and move on past whatever ails us.


TL;DR: If you have a problem with someone, let them know exactly what’s bothering you, no matter how petty.


This is a serious discussion. Please don’t post with the intention of shitting up the thread. No action will be taken against you for speaking honestly, so please be honest.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 10:38PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:31PM EDT
Quote

I feel Don gets a lot more hate then he deserves. While I can’t say I love the controversy entries or the Reddit entries, people’s rantings about it in the comments will not help anything.

So yeah, I hate the users that hate Don.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 10:47PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:43PM EDT

Mods take themselves too seriously.

Instead of acting for the greater good or what’s best for users, they act strictly for the sake of rules. If everyone finds a user funny for shitposting, I don’t understand why mods take it upon themselves to ban that user for shitposting.

Instead of an internet forum, the mods get this bizarre idea that this is their job, and they take it deeply serious, as if going against the rules (even for the sake of users) would be a fatal mistake.

Rules should not be followed as law. They should be followed as guidelines.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 10:47PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:46PM EDT
Quote

I think Blubber should be stripped of his Tikibar Management status, he’s simply too immature to handle the responsibilities.

And yeah, some mods need to chill, the whole website is just for fun in the end. Don’t go all the way to Blubber levels of faggotry and shitposting, but somewhere more in the middle, like Blue Screen.

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:56PM EDT
Quote

Taryn wrote:

Mods take themselves too seriously.

Instead of acting for the greater good or what’s best for users, they act strictly for the sake of rules. If everyone finds a user funny for shitposting, I don’t understand why mods take it upon themselves to ban that user for shitposting.

Instead of an internet forum, the mods get this bizarre idea that this is their job, and they take it deeply serious, as if going against the rules (even for the sake of users) would be a fatal mistake.

Rules should not be followed as law. They should be followed as guidelines.

I generally don’t like Taryn, because she is just plain mean. I can’t really take much of what she says seriously, because it seems like she just wants to insult things she doesn’t understand.

In response to her post, I, personally, am not going to be any more or less serious, because I think I’m doing a fine job. Just because you and some other users don’t like the way some of us moderate doesn’t mean it’s bad for the site. And I go by the rules, because if I were to subjectively act on what I thought was best for the site and the community, people really would want my head. I go by what’s been suggested by users and approved by administrators. If you don’t like the rules, then stop complaining about them and be active when you get a chance to change them. You don’t want a lot of varied users acting on what they all think is best. Because even though Blubber and I want what’s best for the site, you know we don’t agree on too many things.
 
On the whole, you come on to complain or join in the threads your friends who are older, sparse users take part in. You’re not really a part of the KYM community, so I can’t really pay too much attention to what you say. And I’m not going to until I feel like you’re not trying to be so darn condescending.

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:57PM EDT

Taryn wrote:

Mods take themselves too seriously.

Instead of acting for the greater good or what’s best for users, they act strictly for the sake of rules. If everyone finds a user funny for shitposting, I don’t understand why mods take it upon themselves to ban that user for shitposting.

Instead of an internet forum, the mods get this bizarre idea that this is their job, and they take it deeply serious, as if going against the rules (even for the sake of users) would be a fatal mistake.

Rules should not be followed as law. They should be followed as guidelines.

I have to agree with this. I could cite the axiom of power corrupting but it wouldn’t get us anywhere.

Clearly the site is factionalized. We have those that come here for intelligent discussion and take every opportunity to post a long-winded opinion on whatever, and those who come here for stupid fun. Hopefully the new forums will help alleviate this problem.

As for me, I like to keep my posts short, partially because I hate walls of text that take an hour to write and several minutes to read, and partially because I lack the energy required to write something substantial for every single topic. I think when a thread gets to enormous, wordy posts, it ceases to be interesting and becomes a slog.

And certain mods have a tendency to be condescending.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:02PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:57PM EDT
Quote
You’re not really a part of the KYM community, so I can’t really pay too much attention to what you say.


“You don’t post 30 times a day, so your opinion means nothing.”

Good argument.

If this was not your intention, I’d like you to define active.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:06PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:00PM EDT
Quote

Eris the Pone wrote:

I think Blubber should be stripped of his Tikibar Management status, he’s simply too immature to handle the responsibilities.

And yeah, some mods need to chill, the whole website is just for fun in the end. Don’t go all the way to Blubber levels of faggotry and shitposting, but somewhere more in the middle, like Blue Screen.

I really dislike you and your posting style.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:03PM EDT
Quote

I don’t like the users who don’t like other users. It may sound like an oxymoron, but just let me explain it a bit. I mean the people who this thread was designed to help get over their constant spite of everyone. You know those people, the ones who are condescending of everything and everyone. People who despise the site and everyone on it yet remain for a few small reasons that are sometimes unclear. Users who choose what’s right for other people to find funny. (Yeah, I’m talking about a few people, but lots of this stuff specifically points to Cale and Frosty. Sorry guys! It’s just you’re pretty condescending sometimes. See this thread because it’s where I get most of my complaints. I know that was a long time ago but I see this kind of “holier than thou” behavior pretty often, particularly on the forums.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:07PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:05PM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

I generally don’t like Taryn, because she is just plain mean. I can’t really take much of what she says seriously, because it seems like she just wants to insult things she doesn’t understand.

In response to her post, I, personally, am not going to be any more or less serious, because I think I’m doing a fine job. Just because you and some other users don’t like the way some of us moderate doesn’t mean it’s bad for the site. And I go by the rules, because if I were to subjectively act on what I thought was best for the site and the community, people really would want my head. I go by what’s been suggested by users and approved by administrators. If you don’t like the rules, then stop complaining about them and be active when you get a chance to change them. You don’t want a lot of varied users acting on what they all think is best. Because even though Blubber and I want what’s best for the site, you know we don’t agree on too many things.
 
On the whole, you come on to complain or join in the threads your friends who are older, sparse users take part in. You’re not really a part of the KYM community, so I can’t really pay too much attention to what you say. And I’m not going to until I feel like you’re not trying to be so darn condescending.

I really dislike Verbose and his entire personality. I wish he would stop coming to kym.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:06PM EDT
Quote

Instead of acting for the greater good or what’s best for users, they act strictly for the sake of rules. If everyone finds a user funny for shitposting, I don’t understand why mods take it upon themselves to ban that user for shitposting.

I hope I’m not being lumped under that generalization you place there Taryn. Instead of saying ‘mods’, why not state exactly which mod is doing that?

Because we’re not all the same. We don’t think alike. And I’m certainly not one treating my modship as an actual job. I want people here to enjoy their time and I don’t like standing in the way of people’s enjoyment.

However I feel like I’m just slapped with some generic term instead and singled out for being a mod. Perhaps tensions wouldn’t be so severe between mods and users if we weren’t all considered “dem nasty nazi mods” and slammed in the same camp


Here’s my issue with the IRC…I don’t have one. I really have nothing against any of the IRC regulars.

I don’t post in the IRC because I already have various other social mediums and friends occupying my time that bump out whatever attention span I can afford to it. I don’t have time for so many chat groups. It’s nothing personal

But that said, I can’t help but feel that many IRC users have a problem with me. I see “brony mod” thrown about like a slur and I can’t help but feel you’re all talking about me and making me part of some personal greivance I had nothing to do with. Am I just “that guy”? Do clarify


@Science Spider

I don’t like the users who don’t like other users. It may sound like an oxymoron, but just let me explain it a bit. I mean the people who this thread was designed to help get over their constant spite of everyone.

Much respect for you man. You’ve totally got the right attitude here. If there’s only one thing I don’t like here, it’s people who don’t like others and refuse to get along or understand. Negative and spiteful, hateful users who only carry grudges are the real problem for long ongoing tensions and animosity around this place. Not anyone one person posting style or conduct.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:15PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:07PM EDT
Quote

Eris the Pone wrote:

I think Blubber should be stripped of his Tikibar Management status, he’s simply too immature to handle the responsibilities.

And yeah, some mods need to chill, the whole website is just for fun in the end. Don’t go all the way to Blubber levels of faggotry and shitposting, but somewhere more in the middle, like Blue Screen.

what can i say? esteemed forum poster caramel thinks i am a faggot and a shitposter and should be stripped of my joke title. but i’m going to assume you meant database moderator.

yeah, i guess you’re right, and not mad i suspended you for approx 5 minutes then unsuspended you for posting in the board that warned you that you could be suspended for flights of fancy. no, no way.

i think i should be more mature, like you suggested and say people have reached their own personal levels of… what’s the mature word? faggotry?

after all, this website is fun, and the fact that users get so upset that they demand a moderator be demodded is the kind of “chill” attitude we’re looking for. i mean we can’t all have “modfriends” as you put it to keep us in good standing.

in conclusion i am going to laugh about this post and not take a butthurt brony’s mean words to heart.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:07PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

I really dislike you and your posting style.

You too, but I do admit that you can make some very nice posts on occasion.

@Blubber

Seriously, I was just making a joke dude, cool down. B^)
I sometimes wish you weren’t so… ‘you’. But I don’t really want any of your powers or titles taken away as long as you’re doing you job.
You can even be somewhat entertaining on occasion.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:11PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:07PM EDT
Quote

I like all of you because you get buttflustered, and that is delicious fun for the whole family.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:11PM EDT
Quote

Sam wrote:

I don’t like the users who don’t like other users. It may sound like an oxymoron, but just let me explain it a bit. I mean the people who this thread was designed to help get over their constant spite of everyone. You know those people, the ones who are condescending of everything and everyone. People who despise the site and everyone on it yet remain for a few small reasons that are sometimes unclear. Users who choose what’s right for other people to find funny. (Yeah, I’m talking about a few people, but lots of this stuff specifically points to Cale and Frosty. Sorry guys! It’s just you’re pretty condescending sometimes. See this thread because it’s where I get most of my complaints. I know that was a long time ago but I see this kind of “holier than thou” behavior pretty often, particularly on the forums.

I don’t like the users who don’t like other users.

By that logic, you dislike yourself.

In any group of people you’re going to have those who fail to get along. It’s a part of being in a community. Hopefully this thread will go towards strengthening ours.

And while I’m here I might as well express an opinion toward a certain subset of our userbase, the bronies. I think their posting style and the fact that so many moderators have come out of that subcommunity is a primary contributor to many of the negative aspects of this forum, such as the long-winded posting and the cult of personality that springs up around certain users. It’s stifling us.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:15PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:14PM EDT
Quote

Taryn wrote:

You’re not really a part of the KYM community, so I can’t really pay too much attention to what you say.


“You don’t post 30 times a day, so your opinion means nothing.”

Good argument.

If this was not your intention, I’d like you to define active.

Will you stop being condescending for a second?

Because I don’t think you’re ready to talk until you can be chill for a second and not try to insult someone at every turn.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:14PM EDT

Eris the Pone wrote:

You too, but I do admit that you can make some very nice posts on occasion.

@Blubber

Seriously, I was just making a joke dude, cool down. B^)
I sometimes wish you weren’t so… ‘you’. But I don’t really want any of your powers or titles taken away as long as you’re doing you job.
You can even be somewhat entertaining on occasion.

Thank you. I can’t exactly return the compliment, but I appreciate your candor.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:16PM EDT
Quote
I hope I’m not being lumped under that generalization you place there Taryn.

Being around to read your posts over the years, I see no reason to complain.

Instead of saying ‘mods’, why not state exactly which mod is doing that?

Many.

The problem is that most “pony mods”, as you said, tend to be all friends with each other and share the same opinions, causing a perceived circle jerk.

This is the exact reason this perceived circle jerk is the bane of many mods’ existence, as they see the same qualities in IRC. For what reason, I’m unsure; there are probably three active mods that regulate IRC. The rest are regular users.

Some even go as far to say that these users’ opinions are useless.

@Verbose

Because I don’t think you’re ready to talk until you can be chill for a second and not try to insult someone at every turn.

I see no insult in my post.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:19PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:18PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I can’t help but feel that many IRC users have a problem with me. I see “brony mod” thrown about like a slur and I can’t help but feel you’re all talking about me and making me part of some personal greivance I had nothing to do with. Am I just “that guy”? Do clarify

tbh I never see too many people saying anything about you in the IRC. But I’m not there that often either.

But I remember having a huge issue with you when you first became a forum mod. I thought you were being a huge asshole to everyone just because you could be. idk I kind of stopped paying attention to you after that.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:20PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:19PM EDT
Quote

Dr. Coolface wrote:

I like all of you because you get buttflustered, and that is delicious fun for the whole family.

This isn’t the place for that, but I doubt someone who still uses a rage comic character as an icon and a screen name would care about that.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:19PM EDT
Quote

@Blue Screen

Awwww… You think I’m awesome? :3


@Coolface

Yes, butthurt is delicious. Speaking of the butthurt here though, I think people should try toning it down a little. This was meant to release some tension, but it was meant to be productive. The goal is to let the tension simmer down and for people to calm down and make friends. If this thread continues the way it is, there might be even more hatred and division between users than there was before! Verbose and Taryn, try to settle things in a nicer way. Taryn needs to stop being condescending and insulting people and Verbs needs to stop being heavily offended by Taryn’s minor, almost non-existent insults. However, I think Verbose is more at fault here for being overly upset even though I don’t agree with Taryn’s initial point.


@ Fridge Logic

That’s not really productive criticism… His post was out of place and unproductive as well, but neither was yours. Also, the guy with the “Doge” and “Top Gun” avatar shouldn’t be criticizing people on using outdated memes. This is exactly the kind of condescension I was talking about before.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 11:28PM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:22PM EDT
Quote

@Fridge

By that logic, you dislike yourself.

No it doesn’t. It just means he dislikes people who always have to have a ‘problem’ with pointless things that don’t require drama…like the frivolous posting styles of people who are just different from you.

Of course there are always those who don’t get along in any community. That’s why we put on our big boy pants and learn to deal with the differences of others rather than hosting little fueds and segregations between each other

You know what I mean by segregation. Such as those people who single out certain fandom goers and try to segregate and vilify them from the rest of the community and needlessly painting them as everyone’s problem when there’s no evidence that they are actually the source of the problem


@Moargun

I thought you were being a huge asshole to everyone just because you could be

Hmm, okay. Well I’m not sure what to say. Nobody said anything at the time so I wasn’t aware of what sort of impact my behaviour was having. If I was being an asshole, I’m sure it was through some personality flaw and not by intention. I don’t try to piss people off.

I’ll go ahead and apologize if I ever stood on your toes. And I thank you for your honesty

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 10:23AM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:24PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

This isn’t the place for that, but I doubt someone who still uses a rage comic character as an icon and a screen name would care about that.

This is retro as fuck. It’ll come back into style, just you wait.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:27PM EDT
Quote

I really hope this thread doesn’t fuel the hate of users and bring out your opinions too hard.

Ok, so I don’t despise anyone on this site, save for actual shitposters. But the thing that bothers me is the general sense of negativity in the site. It has been an injoke to bash the site and its community, whether joking or not. Yes, the community is in a sorry condition, but it can also be great, supporting, and fun. We may be strangers, but to participate in games together, having drawing threads with talented artists, and discussing world and or internet events, that my friends, is pretty damn remarkable.

So please, if you don’t like this site, if you actually hate it, why bother to stay? It’s a website, with humans in it, good and bad, and everyone is bound to make mistakes. We aren’t perfect, don’t view us only with the negative parts, view us as a whole.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:30PM EDT
Quote

Too be honest, I don’t really dislike any of you (outside the comment section that is). I’d like to think I get on well with most of you, but that’s just from my perspective.

What I really came here to say was in response to Taryn’s post. I can kind of agree with what your saying, I myself am making an effort to be a tad less stingy. I can’t say that we’re the draconian mod team a lot of other users make out for us to be though. It’s not like we’re entirely no fun allowed, we still like to joke around. In fact, I’ve come across mods on other forums and chat rooms that I would say are miles more stingy than we are. But it’s really at points like these I’ve started to appreciate Blubber’s presence a lot more. I mean, it’s not like I’d entrust the creation of the entire site’s rules to him or anything, but I think that his presence is having a better effect than I gave him credit for originally. Look at the Riff-Raff board for example, that board is exactly the kind of place the forum needed. Already I can see that it’s having a much better effect on the site than I thought it would. It’s nice to have a place where we can tone down the rules a bit, and I don’t think this would’ve really happened if not for Blubber.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:31PM EDT
Quote

@Random 21

Don’t get me started on the comment section… Let’s save that discussion for a later date. It’d be near impossible picking out the obnoxious users there, especially since lots of them are anonymous. I don’t even know why I spend so much time there.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:35PM EDT
Quote
I see no insult in my post.

Then I think there’s a fundamental problem. I can explain that much.

Despite being a stickler for rules, I’d like to believe that I’m not considered mean or a jerk unless I’m provoked. Whether or not that’s true, I don’t know. We don’t run polls on that sort of thing. But I know users still talk to me, even newer ones. And I know I still like to help them out.

I don’t claim to know everything about Taryn, but I don’t think “nice” or “kind” or “helpful” is a generally used adjective for you. The first thing I remember you saying to me in that AMA to me was negative. Most everything you say has little tact to it. You focus so much on your point and how right it is that you don’t think to actually convince the person you’re talking to of your point. That’s something that should be basic in human interaction. Even if you’re obviously right, being a jerk about it isn’t going to make your point easy to swallow.

I’m just guessing that you think “civil” is something different than what most people and users do. Most of the posts you make in the forum (I can’t speak for wall posts or comments) are pretty inflammatory. I’m not entirely sure if you 1) know what “civil” means, or 2) think you should be, because you don’t like to be civil. So you redefine it as “pandering” or being a wuss or something.

As for being active, I just know you don’t post much. And when you do post, it’s pretty specific to specific users.

That’s not being a part of the larger community. I’ll admit that I don’t know the community as well as I once did, but I’m making active strides so that I can. Can you honestly say the same thing? Or are you just saying how you think things should be based on how you feel, regardless of getting a feel for the forums?

@Moargun 
 
…You don’t want to do that, brah.

@Fridge

I understand your point about lengthy posts. But sometimes, you need more words. I don’t have the gift of concision, but I think it’s better than being blunt and coming inarticulately.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:39PM EDT

Hmm, okay. Well I’m not sure what to say. Nobody said anything at the time so I wasn’t aware of what sort of impact my behaviour was having. If I was being an asshole, I’m sure it was through some personality flaw and not by intention. I don’t try to piss people off.
I’ll go ahead and apologize if I ever stood on your toes. And I thank you for your honesty

It was probably just me then.
It’s okay, thanks though. Keep on doing you, man.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:40PM EDT
Quote

I just think everyone has their faults and strong points. I feel like we can be good friends if we interacted with each other more. It’s like how countries , races, religions factions, any group that is opposing another isn’t interacting with each other enough and or do not live together. All because they might have something you don’t like or disagree with does not mean they’re bad people or pertain to the stereotypes. Who knows you might find something you like about them or something you both can agree on.

But of course there are ones of ignorance that also have too much pride to do such things. Which does make things worse and might even end people’s lives depending on what the factions are and the reasons why they oppose each other.

I would like to be as neutral on this as I can though, I dislike drama it’s a waste of time, especially if it’s over something so petty and childish.

I also feel like this thread went from a thread that was suppose to help understand each other to personal attacks and arguing.

EDIT:
One thing I need to stress though that I did not stress at all in my post is that:

Try, at least try to put your pride away and see the person you hate as a person. Not your mortal enemy. Try at least not to be biased. Try to forgive and forget, if not. Then you will live bitter and die bitter, and being prideful and ignorant. Being a dick about it too to top it off can end you being sad and alone.

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 12:04AM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:41PM EDT
Quote

@Taryn

The problem is that most “pony mods”, as you said, tend to be all friends with each other and share the same opinions, causing a perceived circle jerk.
This is the exact reason this perceived circle jerk is the bane of many mods’ existence, as they see the same qualities in IRC. For what reason, I’m unsure; there are probably three active mods that regulate IRC. The rest are regular users.

These perceived circle jerks are exactly that. Perceived.

The “brony mods” are not sitting in groups going “those gosh dern IRC users. How can we make them miserable next?”. When we collect, we talk about dragon dildos more than we talk about the IRC

The image of us being in two opposing camps at war with each other is purely fictional. Based solely upon fear, loathing and misunderstanding. Not reality.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:46PM EDT
Quote

This seems to be a thread for “no person attacks immunity” and I really hope the whole clear the air thing doesn’t have the opposite effect.

On that note, Science Spider, I’ve noticed that you too are a badge enthusiast and…
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:51PM EDT
Quote

i absolutely hate how when someone messes up on this site they get massive shit for it, i mean i used to do it back in my newfag days, but is it really necessary to insult someone so much that they never wanna comeback to the site. Like whenever a new user makes an entry they tend to fuck it up, and its understandable because they’re new, so why is it necessary for people to jump down their throats for it. That’s something i can’t stand from a lot of users on this site

I wonder how many people dislike me on this site?

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:52PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

This site is just
My god
Half the users in these forums are acting like fucking entitled children, the entries in the past four years are complete shit, the comments are god awful, there’s Chevy Sonic ads everywhere
This side is essentially a bridge between 9gag and Facebook right now. Plus it just defeats the point of memes. Like this:

This is the main problem.

Did I mention the users on this site are complete shit?

Cuz they are.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:54PM EDT
Quote

Dr. Coolface wrote:

This is retro as fuck. It’ll come back into style, just you wait.

Yeah, sure.

I understand your point about lengthy posts. But sometimes, you need more words. I don’t have the gift of concision, but I think it’s better than being blunt and coming inarticulately.

On this site, if you can’t make your point in a single paragraph, it’s not worth reading.

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 12:02AM EDT
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:56PM EDT
Quote

I mostly can’t believe people care about their position on this site.

I’m not sure if people have noticed yet, but this is a site about documenting memes. Not self-centered central.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:03AM EDT
Quote

We all came to this site for one reason….. MEMES
I think some people forget that this is a site that researches memes and internet culture not just a site to analyze the fuck out of fandoms and vidya gaymes. I also think that people like Taryn have a more 4chan way of looking at things where as BSoD has a more Tumblr way of looking at things and Verbose has a 9gag way of looking at things. There is nothing wrong with having a different way of looking at things but srsly fuck 9gag.

EDIT: ok BSoD you can be Reddit

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 12:14AM EDT
Jul 18, 2014 at 12:06AM EDT
Quote
Taryn have a more 4chan way of looking at things where as BSoD has a more Tumblr way of looking at things and Verbose has a 9gag

I…I don’t even use Tumblr.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:11AM EDT
Quote

@Mod issues:
Honestly I never fully understood the problems some users had with mods on this site even before I became one myself. This is the first forum I’ve been on where I felt the mods were even approachable, friendly, and generally active in threads rather than being lurking ghosts constantly having their banhammer hovering over your head, so when certain users have the opinion that the mods here are bad I feel like that user is taking them for granted a bit too much. Not to say the mods are perfect, we’re all human after all. Some are too strict, some are too abrasive, etc etc. My point being I think we all need to think about how we handle our opinions of the mods in comparison to other users.

@Spider:
Indeed, the comments section is a bit (a lot) of a cesspool lately. but that’s a discussion for another thread

@Sandstone:
I’d like to reiterate the point of this thread: This is not a get out of jail free card for being an asshat. Feel free to go to the riff-raff section for that. The point of the thread is being constructive with the goal that maybe compromise and change can be made to avoid future conflict. In other words: exactly the opposite of what you’re doing. It’s not helping anyone by calling the userbase shit or calling us entitled children. And if the sites been so bad for the past 4 years, then why exactly are you still here?

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 12:25AM EDT
Jul 18, 2014 at 12:23AM EDT
Quote

@Verbose

I don’t claim to know everything about Taryn, but I don’t think “nice” or “kind” or “helpful” is a generally used adjective for you.

If you don’t think I’m nice, that’s fine. I don’t see how it makes my opinion any less valid.

I’ll admit that I don’t know the community as well as I once did, but I’m making active strides so that I can. Can you honestly say the same thing?

Are you implying that visiting IRC makes you a recluse to the site? There probably isn’t a single person in this thread that hasn’t visited it at one point. Not posting is not the same as not knowing (even though I do post).

@BSoD

The image of us being in two opposing camps at war with each other is purely fictional. Based solely upon fear, loathing and misunderstanding. Not reality.

I agree, but that doesn’t stop people from making decisions based on their fear, loathing, and misunderstanding.

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 12:25AM EDT
Jul 18, 2014 at 12:23AM EDT
Quote

Basically, if you consistently don’t follow the KYM Image Gallery Guidelines (the Taggging, Sourcing, and Relevancy parts in particular) then you get on my nerves. We are a documentation site. There should be at least some effort to make images easy to find and give credit to the author.

Outside of that, I don’t like users being jerks to one another, but I think most people here agree about that.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:25AM EDT
Quote

Jacob wrote:

Basically, if you consistently don’t follow the KYM Image Gallery Guidelines (the Taggging, Sourcing, and Relevancy parts in particular) then you get on my nerves. We are a documentation site. There should be at least some effort to make images easy to find and give credit to the author.

Outside of that, I don’t like users being jerks to one another, but I think most people here agree about that.

how to find sauce,

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:33AM EDT
Quote

Well let’s see. I’m coming out of the proverbial woodwork for this here.

To begin: I dislike the notion of “clearing the air”. But as that’s what’s happening.

Sandstone posted:

Half the users in these forums are acting like fucking entitled children

Half is being generous. But is that limited to this site? I think not. What I was seeing before trailing off is a huge sense of superiority. Many would (correctly) accuse me of the same, but with the site, it tends to be communal superiority. But, not communal superiority as in the whole community. As some users have pointed out here, this site is as fractious as 4chan. So all the different subgroups were all acting awful towards one another. For being such a small site, it’s actually quite impressive how bad things are.

the entries in the past four years are complete shit

Now since I wrote a few of those, I’d say that’s pretty broadsided. And what needs to be said is that people need to make money, and that requires entry quotas. I don’t blame the admins for using their editorial license. I think that actually naming the site “Know Your Meme” was shortsighted and it no longer reflects the scope of the site, which the admins have been saying all along. So when people bitch about “oh god not another advice animal” just suck it the fuck up.

the comments are god awful

That is common knowledge. Nobody will ever dispute that.

there’s Chevy Sonic ads everywhere

It’s a website. They have ads. Once again, suck it the fuck up.

This site is essentially a bridge between 9gag and Facebook right now.

Well once again, the quotas. But that’s how corporatization works. So admins have to search for stuff. Sometimes desperately. But honestly, the attitude of users and commenters doesn’t help anything.

Plus it just defeats the point of memes.

Does Wikipedia defeat the purpose of everything? No. Is that an apt analogy? Also no. If KYM were run by volunteers or by an NPO, then perhaps it would be. But it’s not, it’s owned by a corporation, so corporations do what they always do: make money by ruining things.

Did I mention the users on this site are complete shit? Cuz they are.

You rather did, yes.


Regarding Crimson’s analysis of Sandstone’s commentary. He’s never been a wordsmith. I know him well enough to say with confidence that in his mind, he’s trying to be constructive here. He just has an odd way of going about it that doesn’t necessarily jive with how everyone else thinks.


Now for me: I don’t dislike people unless driven to do so. People annoy me but whatever, I get over it. My activity here has declined for a variety of reasons, but one has been the general intransigence of the userbase. But in some ways I can’t blame them. Moderation has been…spotty, at best. Everyone approaches it with a different idea of how rules should be enforced. I think some mods have been excessively lenient given the rules. There’s a very valid argument to be made along the lines of “who gives a fuck, it’s just a place for people to have fun”, which I tend to agree with. But then why have so many rules? Basically, things ended up being a nebulous bureaucracy of moderation that had little effect on the users, which I got sick of.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:56AM EDT
Quote

You are all special in your own way.

Please remember that we’re all neighbors. I like you.

Jul 18, 2014 at 01:20AM EDT
Quote

@Sandstone

Looks like I’ll add you to the top of my list titled “condescending asshats who think they’re too good for KYM”. I’ve only really seen you on two threads, but your impression on me has beem terrible both times. I’m not sure if you’re always like this or if you have a better part that I haven’t seen, but on one thread, you purposefully antagonized me to get a reaction, and now you’re complaining about everyone on the site like you’re so superior to everyone in some way. I didn’t intend to get mad in this thread, but come on! That post was childish. If you don’t like everything about the site like you say then get the hell off!


@Sharkdude

I started the badge thing. I was the original badger. Other than the LGBT badge, pretty much the entire badge trend was started by yours truly, and I personally made a bunch of the ones that are on your wall right now. Sorry for rubbing my own back so much. I didn’t make all of them or anything, far from it, but it’s the truth! I know you’re just kidding, but I wanted to clear some things up.

EDIT: Wow! I feel silly as hell participating in all of this pointless internet drama. This kind of drama was the reason I left the site for like a week. (But I came back so soon because y’all are pretty cool :)

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 01:28AM EDT
Jul 18, 2014 at 01:20AM EDT
Quote

I just wanted to post le may-mays and shitpost Grotan and everyone got all dramatic :*(

munches popcorn and peanut butter cups

EDIT: I really don’t understand why drama has erupted, though. It makes no sense to me, what’s the deal? Why are there lines in the sand?

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 01:35AM EDT
Jul 18, 2014 at 01:24AM EDT
Quote

@Connor

Because KYM: SRS BZNS


@Science spider

Sandstone is a good friend of mine. Have a little more patience with him. He’s been around on KYM for a very long time and has also been through quite a lot.

He used to be very active here and got along with most people well. But he’s had a fair share of incidents here before which left him rather disappointed in the whole site, plus he’s not the forgiving type. That’s why he only shows up every now and then to remind us of how terrible we are.

Sandstones attitude to this site is a product of the past sins of the KYM community

So pardon his poor impression of the user base at whole. He can be a bit abrasive, but he also means well. He’s a great guy once you understand him.

I started the badge thing. I was the original badger.

Um, sorry to burst your bubble, but you were not the first.

The following badges predate you and were used by many before you:

But you probably have prompted the trend to grow more than it has before

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 02:17AM EDT
Jul 18, 2014 at 02:05AM EDT
Quote

Sam this is a “clear the air” thread so I’m going to go and say what I need (want) to say.

I have a problem with you. The last edit you made makes you sound like the site revolves around you.

HEY GUYS I CAME BACK BECAUSE I THINK YOU’RE THIS WAY ISN’T THAT GREAT

You coming back after a week doesn’t mean shit. It is not a meaningful or appreciated gesture.
You adding me to a “list” doesn’t count either. Your list holds no importance. You saying that makes me think that there’s nothing meaningful in that post. Oooooh I’m so huuuuurt I made a spot on a liiiiiist. Yeah no.
You thinking you started the badge thing is also a bunch of self-stroking bullshit. Bob has a badge from way before you started on this site.

Last thing, if you want to know about me, take a look at my goddamn history instead of being a lazy cuntflap. I do have a better part. Its not my problem if you don’t want to look for it. Being lazy is not an excuse for ignorance.

Props to Blue for putting stuff into words. Love ya.

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 02:19AM EDT
Jul 18, 2014 at 02:13AM EDT
Quote

I know coming back after a week doesn’t really matter. A leave like Blubber took is one of actual importance and would be considered an actual leave. However, I’m still allowed to talk about it. How are you the judge of what people can and can’t say? Also, the “list” thing was more of a snarky joke. I’m not making an actual list and putting people on it. I don’t really even know who’s on it. Don’t take everything people say at face value, especially something like that which is obviously fake. On the badge thing, yeah, I admit, it’s self-stroking. I was aware of Bob’s badges and opspe’s badge before I made the thread. In fact, those badges were partially the inspiration for making that thread, so of course they were first, but there’s no denying that my badge thread made some impact. About your personality, why do you act this way? Is it to feel better about yourself? Seriously! I want to know. Also, you should give me credit for openly admitting that I didn’t know you and wanted some clarification instead of assuming you’re always mad. However, just because you were friendly in the past does not excuse being an asshole in the present. Whatever happened on the site that made you so eternally upset, why can’t you get over it and why are you taking it out on me? I’m trying to be polite right now, and if you won’t return the favor then there’s no use talking to someone who always wants to have it their way. So, are you going to show your good side or not?


So, I checked some of your history, and you seem like the average, fun-loving user. I really want to like you and get this over with, which is what this forum is for, getting over grudges. If you’re not willing to and just came to flame people, there’s no more reason for me to even be wasting my time.

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 02:46AM EDT
Jul 18, 2014 at 02:38AM EDT
Quote

This thread has drifted from its initial intention as well as the board’s intention.

Titles such as “cuntflap” and “asshat”, I feel, do not belong in this board. Do try to resolve your conflicts in a more respectable manner, or take them to riff raff.

Jul 18, 2014 at 02:40AM EDT
Quote

First of all, I don’t like people who attack a KYM Staffer like Molly or Don just because the entry is on an advice animal or a hashtag trend.

Second, I don’t like how KYM users treat the Facebook commenters like they’re some unwanted guests. Not every FB commenter is some ignorant person who can’t read the entry tag. You’ll notice that FB commenters often agree with KYM commenters on certain entries. Just give the FB commenters a chance guys. Also, if a FB commenters says a meme is NOT a meme like that one guy said about Ridley Is Too Fucking Big, just let it go, it’s their personal opinion.

Jul 18, 2014 at 02:47AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!