Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

14,376 total conversations in 1,033 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
WHAT HAPPENED?!?! - UNLOCKED-

Last posted Jul 04, 2011 at 06:01PM EDT. Added Jul 04, 2011 at 03:28PM EDT
33 posts from 17 users

@Don I feel you locked too soon. You should give us the place and time to discuss this more.

Jul 04, 2011 at 03:28PM EDT

Well Imma take this time to say something.

Someone made a mistake.

Who it was, or if there was more than one person…it doesn’t matter. We should move on, but remember that we shouldn’t let trolls get to us, and all those other lessons there is to learn from this.

Forgive and forget guise.

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 03:54PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 03:52PM EDT

Taryn wrote:

I got banned lol

yes I know. I don’t feel you should be banned but I do think you are one of the users with the worst attitude here.
Katie, Suiseiseki and Dane can be mean to N00bs but all in all I feel that they are just messing with them a little and N00bs shouldn’t get butthurt. Plus they add to the forums and I like them all.
HoH I do like, except for the nazi propaganda. I know that nazis use forums like this to recruit and that kind of stuff should be banned.
@Chris I know why you did what you did but your execution was wrong. So ok we have trolls but not all trolls can be dealt with in the same manner. I don’t fully agree with the “don’t feed the trolls” saying.
Edit: I think the new mods handled themselves ok and didn’t abuse their power.

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 04:13PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 04:05PM EDT

I was asleep during all this. I have no idea what happened. Was it a full moon? Did Chris turn into the Were-bear?

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:07PM EDT

Jack Candle wrote:

I was asleep during all this. I have no idea what happened. Was it a full moon? Did Chris turn into the Were-bear?

Read the other thread.

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:10PM EDT

Fuck I cant leave I am addicted just want shit to not be so crazy……

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 04:17PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 04:16PM EDT

Okay, I’ve been gone about a day. I read the important parts of the other thread, but I’m still not fully understandered here. Can someone give me a quick overview of what happened?

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:18PM EDT

Piano wrote:

Okay, I’ve been gone about a day. I read the important parts of the other thread, but I’m still not fully understandered here. Can someone give me a quick overview of what happened?

I think in order to test KYM’s anti trolling abilities, Chris Menning became “Garlic” and began heavily trolling. KYM reacted.

People didn’t like the way Chris was acting, even if it was as Crhis believed, for a good cause. And thus, the Shitstorm blew.

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:21PM EDT

Piano wrote:

no just read the other threads fully. nobody wants another recap.

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:24PM EDT

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

yes I know. I don’t feel you should be banned but I do think you are one of the users with the worst attitude here.
Katie, Suiseiseki and Dane can be mean to N00bs but all in all I feel that they are just messing with them a little and N00bs shouldn’t get butthurt. Plus they add to the forums and I like them all.
HoH I do like, except for the nazi propaganda. I know that nazis use forums like this to recruit and that kind of stuff should be banned.
@Chris I know why you did what you did but your execution was wrong. So ok we have trolls but not all trolls can be dealt with in the same manner. I don’t fully agree with the “don’t feed the trolls” saying.
Edit: I think the new mods handled themselves ok and didn’t abuse their power.

There was some confusion about this, and I (wrongly) thought that Garlic was testing the moderators.

It turns out he was testing “potential moderators,” not existing ones.

And I agree with this:

@Chris I know why you did what you did but your execution was wrong.

He was presumably upset at users chasing out new users and being obstinate about what constitutes a meme.

And while I agree with him on some, maybe many points, I really don’t agree with what he decided to do yesterday and in the past weeks.

That said, there’s a lot to be discussed here, although I’m not sure I’m up for arguing anymore.

EDIT: If you want to know what happened yesterday, read this thread. It is very complicated and you have no choice but to read the tl;dr.

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 04:29PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 04:26PM EDT

Jack Candle wrote:

Chris turned into a douchebag and trolled people hard. Douchebag.

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:27PM EDT

Ogreenworld wrote:

There was some confusion about this, and I (wrongly) thought that Garlic was testing the moderators.

It turns out he was testing “potential moderators,” not existing ones.

And I agree with this:

@Chris I know why you did what you did but your execution was wrong.

He was presumably upset at users chasing out new users and being obstinate about what constitutes a meme.

And while I agree with him on some, maybe many points, I really don’t agree with what he decided to do yesterday and in the past weeks.

That said, there’s a lot to be discussed here, although I’m not sure I’m up for arguing anymore.

EDIT: If you want to know what happened yesterday, read this thread. It is very complicated and you have no choice but to read the tl;dr.

I know you have a lot on your plate right now. Sorry you have to argue so much. Try to enjoy the rest of your 4th of July.

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:36PM EDT

RE: Don locking the thread.

It’s true that there’s a lot to be discussed, but until the admins and everyone figures out how to handle the situation, it is frankly pretty difficult to have a civil discussion with constructive points.

I won’t lock the thread, but yeah, I think it might be best if everyone were willing to chill for a while until things get completely sorted out. After that, then we can have constructive? debates.

I mean, yes, many of us are pretty upset (myself included), but its complicated enough as it is, and I don’t think arguing more at this point will get us very far.

edit: But I do understand if you guys want to discuss.

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 04:42PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 04:39PM EDT

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

I know you have a lot on your plate right now. Sorry you have to argue so much. Try to enjoy the rest of your 4th of July.

Don’t worry about it, I don’t have much to do today anyway :P

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:40PM EDT

Wow, I missed this entire thing. I might not know the community very well, but wow, a mod going crazy? I KNOW that’s not good.
The piece of this story I’m missing is the “shitstorm”. Reading the other thread makes it sound like it was between Chris Menning and Katie Starshine, but in this thread people are saying that “shit went down” and other users got banned?

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:47PM EDT

This is the second great shit storm I have seen since I have joined…. :/
(I guessing once a month is the norm on this site?)

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 04:53PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 04:51PM EDT

Shakey♪ wrote:

Sounds about right. Maybe more if we’re lucky.

Jul 04, 2011 at 04:57PM EDT

I was here until midnight, but I feel I missed the important parts. I rarely posted in the shitstorm, but Garlic was starting to get on my nerves. Mostly because I knew I couldn’t do anything about it, because he was clearly beyond reasoning with.
Read the tl:dr thread, and I’m surprised. Garlic is ChrisMen, and he’s a damn convincing troll, but seriously…WTF? I never thought anything like this would happen here, EVER.

Edit: @ 2 posts above me: This is the third shitstorm I’ve seen, this one, TK, and Troll Hater (but I wasn’t here for Troll Hater). It seemed to me that TK and Troll Hater were handled very nicely, but this one certainly was not. Extra brownie points to OGW for putting up with this though.

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 05:06PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 05:02PM EDT

Ok, I know that ChrisMen went completely batshit insane, but I think that most of the members still have faith in the admins and the system.
Especially since you banned him, and this huge shitstorm arose.

bye.

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:09PM EDT

Shakey♪ wrote:

Upon occasion, it gets worse. I believe you weren’t here for the great futurama-brony war that Trollking started?

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:10PM EDT

MDFification wrote:

Upon occasion, it gets worse. I believe you weren’t here for the great futurama-brony war that Trollking started?

Yeah I joined during that went to the forums and was like….Fuck
Didn’t go back for a bit. XD

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:17PM EDT

I wouldn’t consider the futurama-brony war a shitstorm, because those who actually participated seemed to have fun (I did anyway). It’s just that when TK tried to restart it everyone was just like, “…no.”

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:24PM EDT

In defense of the forums, we’ve only had a few full-out shitstorms.

We’ve had flame wars, yes, and unnecessary arguments spanning a thread, but rarely to this extent.

And this one wasn’t actually that bad (it happened pretty late at night with relatively few users).
What makes this one more complicated is its implications.

Anyway, hopefully these flame wars won’t occur as often in the future because a lot happening lately (not just yesterday), and should be addressed…

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 05:32PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 05:26PM EDT

MDFification wrote:

I wouldn’t call that “Great” but it was fun. I actually miss TrollKing. He was a fun and worthy adversary.
[photo:143963]

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 05:28PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 05:27PM EDT

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

I wouldn’t call that “Great” but it was fun. I actually miss TrollKing. He was a fun and worthy adversary.
[photo:143963]

Troll King was Chrismen, too

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:34PM EDT

Pfft. I have no idea what actually happened, it just seems that something happened and someone got angry. If I hadn’t have seen these threads, I wouldn’t have noticed. Imo, this deserves one big lol.

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:36PM EDT

But Chris was like, “Oh, you’re angry, OK, I’ll ban you.” And all the outsiders, like me, got the message as “trolling is OK because Chris will ensure you don’t get banned.”

When Garlic came I thought he was just another no-life troll who hates Katie. When it turned out to be the much respected Chris……… I lost my trust in KYM.

Fortunately, thanks to Kalmo, I feel better now. But I’ll still stay away from trolls. There was a troll today again and the first thought that came to my mind was “Is it another mod?”

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:38PM EDT

Jerry Springer wrote:

Troll King was Chrismen, too

No he’s not TK or was he?

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:50PM EDT

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

No he’s not TK or was he?

Chrismen’s account says Chris Menning, the real Troll King, or something like that.

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:52PM EDT

Jerry Springer wrote:

Chrismen’s account says Chris Menning, the real Troll King, or something like that.

He never said he was TK. He’s just using “The Real Troll King” as a title. A King of trolls, not the person TK.

Jul 04, 2011 at 05:55PM EDT

We weren’t aware that ChrisMenning’s alt account (GarlicMcNabb) was being misused. As explained in the other thread, we were aware of GarlicMcNabb account and its original purpose as an unofficial hallway patrol / advisor, but by no means was it intended to screen new mods or any tests that would reflect upon the users’ characters.

People argue on the internet, and they fight. Unfortunately this time, a former admin was involved and it looks like everyone agres it shouldn’t have been sanctioned without active discussions or agendas. GarlicMcNabb will no longer be available, Taryn has been unbanned. Chris & rest of us will talk first and we’ll see what happens.

Last edited Jul 04, 2011 at 06:04PM EDT
Jul 04, 2011 at 06:01PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!