Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,697 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

User of the month?

Last posted Sep 03, 2011 at 12:54AM EDT. Added Aug 28, 2011 at 12:49PM EDT
55 posts from 32 users

Do you think that would be a good idea? Every month a user gets the prestigious title of "User of the Month" and maybe a prize of some sort. The user would be decided on by mods and admins and maybe they would get "user of the month" as their title for a full month or something. I don't know, this just came to mind and I felt that I should make a thread about it before I forgot.

Is this a good idea? Would it have a positive effect on the forums? I'm down for buying users thinkgeek.com gift cards or something. So yeah, discuss, but don't make nominations or anything like that. This isn't a thread for that sort of thing.

Either
A. It works and has a positive effect on the community, because everyone is trying to be the best they can be.
B. We accidentally create a bunch of kiss-asses wanting to be special.

Captain Badass wrote:

Either
A. It works and has a positive effect on the community, because everyone is trying to be the best they can be.
B. We accidentally create a bunch of kiss-asses wanting to be special.

I was thinking about that too. Hopefully, since only mods and admins choose the user, we SHOULD have the sense not to give it to blatant kiss-asses.

All the html in the world can't give give the word "should" as much emphasis as I want it to have.

Yeah sure, sounds like a good idea. I thought at first it would be bad, but the whole "Mods and Admins choose" part would make it work. And yeah, we'd be sensible enough to know who was merely sucking up.

The things that factor into who gets picked could be a combination of entertaining forum posts, impressive efforts in editing and creating meme pages and just general all around quality.

I like the idea, but I'm worried that it might create tension in the community. Users clammoring over others getting to be user of the month and whatnot… Maybe user of the week would be better, because it's wouldn't be quite as sought-after, and it's easier to decide based on one week of posts than one month.

Anyone who gets on there will be made fun of, everyone else will act like a asshole to avoid it, making everything bad, it will be a Black Hole Apocalypse, from Hell.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I like this idea. Granted, it might have some issues, but steps can be taken to avoid them.

What type of problems, and what steps will prevent it?

Don't keep these secrets to yourself.

Captain Blubber wrote:

Do you think that would be a good idea? Every month a user gets the prestigious title of "User of the Month" and maybe a prize of some sort. The user would be decided on by mods and admins and maybe they would get "user of the month" as their title for a full month or something. I don't know, this just came to mind and I felt that I should make a thread about it before I forgot.

Is this a good idea? Would it have a positive effect on the forums? I'm down for buying users thinkgeek.com gift cards or something. So yeah, discuss, but don't make nominations or anything like that. This isn't a thread for that sort of thing.

I like this idea. Perhaps the prize could be a unique user title?

I suppose it'll give people something more to aspire to once they've reached top tier, yet I still don't think it's a good idea. There will be flamewars, and they could be messy.

Fridge wrote:

I suppose it'll give people something more to aspire to once they've reached top tier, yet I still don't think it's a good idea. There will be flamewars, and they could be messy.

I don't understand that.

Why will there be flamewars? If someone has a flamewar they certainly won't be user of the month.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

i do not see why this title is needed to be decided on, it is blatantly obvious that all FEMALE users should be given the title at all times and that all the foolish male users should be banned and then killed.

I feel that there will only be flamewars if:

1. The person who didn't get the title was trying to get it and complains.
  2. There is a misunderstanding to why the person got the title.
  3. A bullying situation.

The second two problems are easily solved via talking and Banhammer, but the first one may be troublesome to deal with.

Also, if somebody does get user of the month there shouled be a permanent tag on their profile saying when they got it.

Feminist Robot wrote:

i do not see why this title is needed to be decided on, it is blatantly obvious that all FEMALE users should be given the title at all times and that all the foolish male users should be banned and then killed.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I feel that there will only be flamewars if:

1. The person who didn't get the title was trying to get it and complains.
  2. There is a misunderstanding to why the person got the title.
  3. A bullying situation.

The second two problems are easily solved via talking and Banhammer, but the first one may be troublesome to deal with.

Also, if somebody does get user of the month there shouled be a permanent tag on their profile saying when they got it.

With the permanent tag you mean like the "Early Adopter (#x)" titles some have?

Cuz that might work out.

Laser Pacer wrote:

How about the prize is custom title?
Example;I can change my title to "Crownless King" or something.

I like this idea! After the month is up your title is permanently changed to whatever you want!

Jack Candle wrote:

Jack Candle: Orange.

brb, stocking up on Chapstick in preparation for all the asses I'm about to kiss

Your a mod, so you have a say in who is the member of the month right? All you really need is some toilet paper for all the lipstick.

Laser Pacer wrote:

I will probably get the title at some point,because robots.

You will probably not get the title at some point, because you touch yourself at night.

Last edited Aug 30, 2011 at 12:26AM EDT

IMHO

User of the month = popularity contest = monthly prom queen = monthly prom king

Correct me if I'm wrong. My two cents.

Last edited Aug 30, 2011 at 05:52PM EDT

What if we made this a private vote type of thing? Where we send private messages of who we nominate to a certain user. Adding prizes would make this seem like a contest. Now that I think about it… Inb4 Troll king votes for himself using multiple accounts.

Hiroman wrote:

IMHO

User of the month = popularity contest = monthly prom queen = monthly prom king

Correct me if I'm wrong. My two cents.

If we do it right and base it off of contributions and not e-peen size you're wrong.

Otherwise you're probably right.

Joe Hokage wrote:

Yeah. the only big problem that I see is that some might vote for themselves using different accounts.

But yeah this idea can work.

This can be sorta stopped by making votes restricted to accounts that are at least X months old and have an activity above Y.

We also have to consider what the prizes are based on. Since some are more active on the forums, where others are better at editing.

Last edited Aug 30, 2011 at 10:11PM EDT

There doesn't seem to be a way we can do this cleanly. Besides, it'll lead to favoritism form the mods, which infringes on the current status quo. And, like Hiroman said, we're basically turning sitewide participation into a popularity contest.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!