Forums / Site-Related

17,279 total conversations in 1,321 threads

+ New Thread

why can't i delete or edit my posts?

Last posted Feb 29, 2012 at 01:45PM EST. Added Feb 13, 2012 at 06:42AM EST
11 conversations with 9 participants

this led me into quite a few bad situations already. is there any practical reson why it’s not possible to delete my posts 30 minutes after i made them?

i wrote something without thinking. checked back on it 30 minutes later. realized that what i wrote is really bad. but now i can’t delete it. so now this post will just sit there and collect loads of negative karma and bad relations with other users and ther is nothing i can do about it. even if in the next post i say that im sorry.

so you could say it’s my fault, i didn’t think. but still. why so damn unforgiving? it’s possible to delete posts in other forums. why not here as well?

Feb 13, 2012 at 06:42AM EST

Such a feature can easily be abused. Trolls can make a post, wait for responses, and then quickly change/delete the post.

If you really want a post/thread changed or deleted, you can always PM a forum mod.

Feb 13, 2012 at 07:13AM EST

kym is not famous for being infested with trolls… but fine. if PMing a mod a quick enough way then i accept.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:23AM EST

It’s a stupid rule, and the staff is illogically adamant of keeping it.

It isn’t like not having the rule works on Reddit and every vBulletin forum, of which there are a lot.

Last edited Feb 13, 2012 at 05:57PM EST
Feb 13, 2012 at 05:56PM EST

One thing to know is that once a thread is locked, users cannot give karma one way or another on posts for that thread. So a user with a disliked post won’t get any more negakarma after it’s locked.

Once a locked thread gets locked, it won’t get bumped back to the first page of threads, so it’s not going to be seen unless someone goes necroing.

Feb 13, 2012 at 06:09PM EST

It also requires users to post quality.

Knowing your posts can’t be deleted after 30 minutes, users are pushed to making more quality post.

And quality equals karma, which gets around 90% of the users here wet.

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:28AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

It also requires users to post quality.

Knowing your posts can’t be deleted after 30 minutes, users are pushed to making more quality post.

And quality equals karma, which gets around 90% of the users here wet.

^ This

Just think before you post, and don’t be a jackass.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:47AM EST

Jolly Jew wrote:

kym is not famous for being infested with trolls… but fine. if PMing a mod a quick enough way then i accept.

True, not famous for it, but trust me -- there are plenty of trolls around.

Feb 16, 2012 at 02:40AM EST

Think before you post. Split second judgements always get the better of you.

It’s here to enforce quality. It hurts when you get -13, but there’s nearly always a reason for it, and as such, you should learn from your past mistakes.

KYM has its share of trolls, however, thankfully, the karma system does a decent job of keeping them at bay.

Feb 28, 2012 at 06:07PM EST

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Think before you post. Split second judgements always get the better of you.

It’s here to enforce quality. It hurts when you get -13, but there’s nearly always a reason for it, and as such, you should learn from your past mistakes.

KYM has its share of trolls, however, thankfully, the karma system does a decent job of keeping them at bay.

“Think before you post”

Exactly.

Please refrain from bumping threads we are no longer interested in.

Feb 29, 2012 at 02:33AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Such a feature can easily be abused. Trolls can make a post, wait for responses, and then quickly change/delete the post.

If you really want a post/thread changed or deleted, you can always PM a forum mod.

This barely ever happens on the forum I usually use.

Mainly because those people get banned or warned pretty quickly.

Feb 29, 2012 at 01:45PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!