Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Suggestion: Meme Definition/ What should or Shouldn't Been an Article

Last posted Feb 23, 2012 at 04:45PM EST. Added Feb 22, 2012 at 07:12PM EST
6 posts from 4 users

I've noticed a lot of complaints about New Members creating entries that have no chance to succeed, as they are both of low quality and are based of non-existent memes.
This is, of course, nothing new. We've always had this going on. It just seems that within this past month or so it's been getting a bit more common, perhaps due to the extra traffic we're getting from Facebook.

So anyway, I think that we could lower the amount of useless entries by adding a message similar to the How to Write a Meme Entry Column at the side of the page. This message would preferably be added in a way that made it impossible to avoid viewing it before creating a meme.
How to do that, I'm not sure. Perhaps it should be a javascript that runs when people try to start a meme entry, and the user has to click a link at the bottom to create their meme. The message should probably also be short and too the point, so people actually read it.

Here's one possible message:

Submitting a New Entry

Read these questions:

1. Are you certain that you understand the definition of an internet meme? [Insert Link to a definition we agree on here]

2. Is the meme you wish to document already widespread and popular?

3. Do you agree to keep your article professional and neutral in tone?

If any of your answers to these questions are NO, do not create a new entry. It does not meet KnowYourMeme's standards and will require Entry Moderator attention that is needed elsewhere.

Sorry for not posting this in the Suggestions thread, I thought this might merit additional discussion.

We've had so many threads about this before suggesting ways to limit the amount of crappy entries made by BNMs who confuse this site from something like Meme Generator or Memebase but this suggestion seems the most valid.

I personally think a message similar to the how to write a meme entry column would be good although we'd have to make sure it in no way limits the ability of a user to submit a meme like a popup etc.

A more dynamic way of telling new users not to make their entries if it is not following the rules would be good aside from the rules which most don't read would be good but I'm sure this isn't a pressing issue as we have so many moderators that deadpool entries very quickly.

Cyber6x wrote:

We've had so many threads about this before suggesting ways to limit the amount of crappy entries made by BNMs who confuse this site from something like Meme Generator or Memebase but this suggestion seems the most valid.

I personally think a message similar to the how to write a meme entry column would be good although we'd have to make sure it in no way limits the ability of a user to submit a meme like a popup etc.

A more dynamic way of telling new users not to make their entries if it is not following the rules would be good aside from the rules which most don't read would be good but I'm sure this isn't a pressing issue as we have so many moderators that deadpool entries very quickly.

True, true.
Still, I think having it appear when creating a new entry might be a good way to ensure it gets read, and it wouldn't really limit them.
Still, the problem is that people go ahead and post without knowing what they're doing, so they might just ignore it anyway.

It would also be a good idea to more actively encourage people to post ideas for new pages in the Meme Research forum before they make the page. Not only would it give us a chance to contribute more research to the meme beforehand, but it would also let us discourage obvious failures – nipping these pages in the bud.

Platus wrote:

It would also be a good idea to more actively encourage people to post ideas for new pages in the Meme Research forum before they make the page. Not only would it give us a chance to contribute more research to the meme beforehand, but it would also let us discourage obvious failures – nipping these pages in the bud.

That's a really good idea, actually.
A really good idea.
Also, it could mean that when people enter the site they're less discouraged to become regulars.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!