Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

New Category

Last posted Apr 09, 2012 at 10:43AM EDT. Added Apr 04, 2012 at 10:56AM EDT
10 posts from 8 users

Those are the categories entries can currently be placed in. But not everything fits in one of those. So I'd like to know if people think we need a new category. And if so, what type of category.

The "Person" category was changed into people, this so it could cover groups as well.

But the banner still reads "Person" (see above).

Just a heads up to the staff.

I think we talked about that somewhere else in the forums. For example, Bacon isn't really a subculture as much as it is a part of an Internet subculture. However, it's not really an Internet meme either. It most certainly isn't a person or an event.

But it's been up for a year now, and it hasn't been deadpooled. And it is most certainly notable on the Web with plenty of variations based upon bacon.

I wouldn't know what to call it though.

Verbose wrote:

I think we talked about that somewhere else in the forums. For example, Bacon isn't really a subculture as much as it is a part of an Internet subculture. However, it's not really an Internet meme either. It most certainly isn't a person or an event.

But it's been up for a year now, and it hasn't been deadpooled. And it is most certainly notable on the Web with plenty of variations based upon bacon.

I wouldn't know what to call it though.

Internet Culture

So many entries would fall into this category.

"Subculture" has been used waaaay too broadly in many cases before, and I'm also thinking that maybe we can categorize them with hybrids? Like something that is a meme, but generated a subculture behind it a little bit later?

I'm sure you guys have ways to get round this.

Karmacharged wrote:

How about a Category named "Other", it would be colored Cyan.

Creepypasta would be another idea, and it can be colored black.

No, I'm pretty sure everything is classified equally, i.e, creepypasta is a meme, so must be classified as a meme.

Well, a meme is just a cultural concept. We've just used the term for popular internet trends and jokes.
Instead of subculture for most of these, perhaps we could use a category called Popular Influence? That name is too long, but it would cover things that spawn multiple memes but don't have an actual fandom.

This is probably a good time to bring up a complaint i have concerning categories. I understand why we have the categories, but by the looks of things, if they're not in the meme category, no one cares (mainly with people and sites). We have 136 entries for people and only 6 have been confirmed. If you're going to have categories, you need to be considering them as much as regular meme entries.

Twenty-One wrote:

This is probably a good time to bring up a complaint i have concerning categories. I understand why we have the categories, but by the looks of things, if they're not in the meme category, no one cares (mainly with people and sites). We have 136 entries for people and only 6 have been confirmed. If you're going to have categories, you need to be considering them as much as regular meme entries.

Pretty fair.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!