Forums / Site-Related

16,393 total conversations in 1,292 threads

+ New Thread

Sticky Sticky
KYM Office of Cease & Desist Records

Last posted Mar 22, 2014 at 04:05PM EDT. Added May 09, 2012 at 10:37PM EDT
19 conversations with 19 participants

From time to time, Know Your Meme receives cease and desist letters from copyright holders asking us to remove their images from our database. This thread will be mainly used to keep track of the cease & desist records and our entries that are affected as a result.

KYM Entries That Have Been Ceased-and-Desisted:

• OCD Otter / Images removed on February 25th, 2013

KYM Image Uploads That Have Been Ceased-and-Desisted:

Last edited Feb 25, 2013 at 04:07PM EST
May 09, 2012 at 10:37PM EDT

What do you have to do about the thumbnail? Every entry needs one.

May 10, 2012 at 02:14AM EDT

Well, that’s also a way to deal with internet fame.

Inb4 Potatogirl

May 10, 2012 at 05:00AM EDT

Brad wrote:

From time to time, Know Your Meme receives cease and desist letters from copyright holders asking us to remove their images from our database. This thread will be mainly used to keep track of the cease & desist records and our entries that are affected as a result.

KYM Entries That Have Been Ceased-and-Desisted:

• OCD Otter / Images removed on February 25th, 2013

KYM Image Uploads That Have Been Ceased-and-Desisted:

So, to clarify, this is only images that violate copywrite, correct?
It’s a shame we don’t have the financial security to risk disputing these things. For example, the Tom Preston one doesn’t violate any copyrights. He wouldn’t have a case; the images in our gallery fall under parody and therefore qualify as fair use.
We need to find someone who gives free or cheep legal advice; for the sake of the database we really can’t let this become an issue.

Edit: Are we allowed to discuss here, or should I make another thread? Sorry.

Last edited May 10, 2012 at 02:30PM EDT
May 10, 2012 at 02:29PM EDT

I think this might be in light of these take-downs, but I just noticed a new button in all images -

which leads to a new contact page

Though this page isn’t specific to the image, it can be used to contact for copyright issues. I hope that we don’t have to take down content as a result but merely source the author but that seems unlikely.

Regardless, I’m more optimistic than pessimistic about this being used for users to get in contact outside of the “Suggest a change” button on entries.

Last edited May 11, 2012 at 07:56AM EDT
May 11, 2012 at 07:44AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

This thread should be stickied.

Don’t tell me what to do. >:(

/stickies the thread
May 12, 2012 at 01:39PM EDT

Chris wrote:

Don’t tell me what to do. >:(

/stickies the thread

Thanks, Chris. We’ve got some more tasks for you to do when you have a moment. We’re gonna need you to come in tomorrow and, um, find us a copyright lawyer. And then, well, I’m also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too, and do some image cleanup for the database, okay?

So… if you could just get to that as soon as possible, that would be terrific.

May 18, 2012 at 10:32PM EDT

I support what I said upstairs. Very good point.

May 25, 2012 at 04:58AM EDT

Tom Preston is just butthurt because of his CattyN gallery is uploaded and he wants to pretend he wasn’t CattyN.

Jun 04, 2012 at 04:03AM EDT

Bumping this thread for Someecards.com DMCA takedown notice.

The entry’s gallery is now locked, but please don’t upload any more someecards or yourecards content to anywhere else on the site.

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT

Sucks how some people can’t just take things in stride and have to get legally butthurt about people just having a good time.

Aug 24, 2012 at 07:24PM EDT

Jack Candle wrote:

Sucks how some people can’t just take things in stride and have to get legally butthurt about people just having a good time.

Sometimes, you have to do your copyright justice and defend it when there are potential violations.

Otherwise, you can lose your right to the material. I really don’t think they’d care too much otherwise. And besides, if it’s your content, then it’s your prerogative to legally defend it as you see fit. I have no problem with it, actually.

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:11PM EDT

So if we were going to upload a specific image to another page, could we? Or are all instances of images relating to the C&D article to be withheld from the site? For instance I was about to upload this to the The Casting Couch entry, but Scumbag Stacy is C&D.

Mar 22, 2014 at 04:05PM EDT

Greetings! You must login or signup first!