Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Delete Time Limit in Comments

Last posted Jul 11, 2012 at 03:12AM EDT. Added Jul 08, 2012 at 03:57AM EDT
18 posts from 10 users

Okay, this has been bothering me for awhile now, but this has happened to me 3 times in a week and it's really pissing me off.

Somebody makes a stupid remark on an entry ("This should be merged!" "Wait, why am I suddenly getting a ton of hate!?"), and so I reply to their remark in attempt to clear things up for them ("You didn't say what it should be merged with, you clearly missed the point that there is a fanbase outside of the meme you are implying, and it was discussed in the forums before started").

Then the person gets embarrassed and erases all his posts, seemingly leaving me talking to the wrong person and me looking like a total idiot.

Why isn't there a edit/delete time limit on Comments? I am feeling less and less inclined to reply to somebody each time if they will just erase their comment later…

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 03:58AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Okay, this has been bothering me for awhile now, but this has happened to me 3 times in a week and it's really pissing me off.

Somebody makes a stupid remark on an entry ("This should be merged!" "Wait, why am I suddenly getting a ton of hate!?"), and so I reply to their remark in attempt to clear things up for them ("You didn't say what it should be merged with, you clearly missed the point that there is a fanbase outside of the meme you are implying, and it was discussed in the forums before started").

Then the person gets embarrassed and erases all his posts, seemingly leaving me talking to the wrong person and me looking like a total idiot.

Why isn't there a edit/delete time limit on Comments? I am feeling less and less inclined to reply to somebody each time if they will just erase their comment later…

I suppose you're referring to what happened on my Reggie entry. Actually, I have to agree, it can get on people's nerves. I remember once when I did it when I started the Nintendo entry, Cyber and RandomMan got annoyed with me so I apologised. I felt worse when it happened to me on another entry. And as for edit, it should be there. It gets really tedious when I notice a mistake, so I have to delete the comment to write it out again.

I just find it totally inconvenient that there is a time limit on anything. Surely deletion on comments should be allowed, but deletion on a forum post shouldn't, only editing. But that's just how I feel.

There also should be previews for sending message or when creating forum posts, in order to get your textile/HTML correct and not have to have that annoying little last edited subscript text underneath.

That was a slight digression to the actual problem this thread is about, but relevant nonetheless.

I agree with you, Natsuru. I believe that the logic behind not being able to delete or edit a post after a certain time in the forum should apply to the comments as well.

I think it may have been due to how the comments were originally expected to be used. I think they were thought to be used mostly for quick, one-hit thoughts with no one interacting with each other. I think that might have been a bit nearsighted, because people will always respond to each other, especially when they think they have a point, and even moreso when it's nothing particularly controversial.

I don't know how easy that would be to code (as per any suggestion for the site,) but I think that the comments should be treated like forum posts in terms of deleting and editing time limits. Does anyone have a reason as to why comments and forum posts should be treated differently in that regard?

Quantum Meme wrote:

I just find it totally inconvenient that there is a time limit on anything. Surely deletion on comments should be allowed, but deletion on a forum post shouldn't, only editing. But that's just how I feel.

There also should be previews for sending message or when creating forum posts, in order to get your textile/HTML correct and not have to have that annoying little last edited subscript text underneath.

That was a slight digression to the actual problem this thread is about, but relevant nonetheless.

I agree with previewing forum posts. You can preview entries before saving them, so that shouldn't be difficult to work out. I do disagree with getting rid of post deletion. Editing posts can have the same effect as deleting them. All you have to do is edit the content of your post to make it seem like the person replying is in the wrong.

madcat wrote:

I agree with previewing forum posts. You can preview entries before saving them, so that shouldn't be difficult to work out. I do disagree with getting rid of post deletion. Editing posts can have the same effect as deleting them. All you have to do is edit the content of your post to make it seem like the person replying is in the wrong.

What I don't understand is that I find KYM's active forum members to be more mature than what they are given credit for. I doubt they would purposefully edit their posts to make someone who replied seem wrong.

I completely understand that argument but you have to take into account that the majority of the forum users are actually mature enough to actually admit they are wrong in a later post. Even with this limit, it's still possible to do that within 30 minutes and I have yet to see one case of it.

I don’t know how easy that would be to code (as per any suggestion for the site,) but I think that the comments should be treated like forum posts in terms of deleting and editing time limits. Does anyone have a reason as to why comments and forum posts should be treated differently in that regard?

It's quite easy to code that in and Jamie has the skills to do it. It's the matter of whether or not the KYM staff is willing to get off their asses and do something about it. I'm not dissing the staff, I like every one of them but to me it seems they won't do anything that needs to be done until it becomes a major problem. I understand that Jamie works hard to keep the site up and running alone but that's honestly how I feel about the staff right now.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 06:34PM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

We need more coders and programmers.

It's not just programmers and coders they need. Know Your Meme only has 4 or 5 staff members; that's it. However, the Know Your Meme office is smack-dab right in a relatively small New York building and working space is limited in most New York offices unless you work in the giant corporate skyscrapers.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 06:56PM EDT

Anako wrote:

It's not just programmers and coders they need. Know Your Meme only has 4 or 5 staff members; that's it. However, the Know Your Meme office is smack-dab right in a relatively small New York building and working space is limited in most New York offices unless you work in the giant corporate skyscrapers.

I thought KYM was based in Washington State, but whatever. Back on topic, I don't see why there's a time limit to delete/edit anything. I guess a con to that would be people changing a impopular (not sure if that word is correct) post and change the opinion it states, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

FudgeGruck wrote:

I thought KYM was based in Washington State, but whatever. Back on topic, I don't see why there's a time limit to delete/edit anything. I guess a con to that would be people changing a impopular (not sure if that word is correct) post and change the opinion it states, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

No, the only thing that is in Washington is the office that does the KYM episodes. The main Know Your Meme office is in New York city:

Cheezburger, Inc. New York Offices
122 West 26th Street, 8th Floor
New York, New York 10001

That's where Don, Amanda, James and others work.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 07:35PM EDT

FudgeGruck wrote:

The time limit is there to protect against trolling. Let's say a troll make a good post, and it gets upvoted. He can't change it later to say something offensive, and if he did, people would downvote it after he changed it. Hopefully the person wouldn't be able to get large amounts of karma within 30 minutes, or the damage would be almost irreversible.

@ Natsuru

I can see how deletion of comments in a small conversation in the comments section can be annoying

but it's not a big deal….even if you make a big deal out of it, it's really not.

So I made a very simple remark some people disagreed with on the Reggie Fils Aime entry ("merge + 1"), and after seeing 3 downvotes, I asked why ("reason for disagreement?"), which you promptly responded to. but even THAT comment of asking why…gets downvoted, now yeah, downvotes on comments don't do shit all, but if I see that people don't like a comment (and in your case find it disgustingly offensive), I'll be smart about it and REMOVE IT. you think I should've of just left it there? well I think I should've not left it there, simple.

It's not making you look like an idiot like you think, no one else is thinking this, not. one. person.
I was not maliciously going "heh heh heh if i remove my comment I'm gonna make you look like an idiot" uhhh no dude, that's not how it is, AT ALL

do you REALLY have to care that much about it buddy? are you going to let those few instances really get to you? christ man, blowing things out of proportion

Look, I wouldn't be making a remark about this if it hadn't happened multiple times. So don't think I am singling you out, because you are not the only offender here. Yours was just easy to remember and a bit more distinct. (My other recent examples would have included instances of "Why must every tiny Japanese thing be a meme!?")

so there's several ways of going about this if you are an… "offender" (please stop with the overly antagonizing word usages, seriously)

- leave your comment there, and let it rack up the negs, or…
- leave another comment saying "oh, I see, I apologize and retract my previous statement", which also racks up negs from my previous experiences. or…
- delete your comment and have nothing to worry about, what everyone else does

Indeed, that is a system used in the comments section. However, in Contrast to the Forums; the entire comments system is like an extremely primitive version of the Forums, thus they present all the same issues the forums had prior to the edit and delete time limits, minus the Karma.
--

I would really like to see the Comments Section more like the Forums Section, though I do realize in order to do that several drastic changes would have to be made.

1. The ability to comment on other peoples posts with a Quote Button.
2. The ability to cast Karma upon the posts. The comments section is a prime example of a world without the loom and doom of Negative Karma.
2a. This of course would mean both the forums and the comments would have to implement the 30 Day vote lock to keep people from suddenly going to karma war against each other.
3. The ability to edit and delete your post, but within a certain time limit.
--

Though this is my ideal situation, it is far too much to demand unless a large number other people agree with me.

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

@ Natsuru

I can see how deletion of comments in a small conversation in the comments section can be annoying

but it's not a big deal….even if you make a big deal out of it, it's really not.

So I made a very simple remark some people disagreed with on the Reggie Fils Aime entry ("merge + 1"), and after seeing 3 downvotes, I asked why ("reason for disagreement?"), which you promptly responded to. but even THAT comment of asking why…gets downvoted, now yeah, downvotes on comments don't do shit all, but if I see that people don't like a comment (and in your case find it disgustingly offensive), I'll be smart about it and REMOVE IT. you think I should've of just left it there? well I think I should've not left it there, simple.

It's not making you look like an idiot like you think, no one else is thinking this, not. one. person.
I was not maliciously going "heh heh heh if i remove my comment I'm gonna make you look like an idiot" uhhh no dude, that's not how it is, AT ALL

do you REALLY have to care that much about it buddy? are you going to let those few instances really get to you? christ man, blowing things out of proportion

It's not just Natsuru who is complaining, as I previously stated, I did the same thing as you did on an entry I made, and RandomMan got angry at me for it. Plus, as Natsuru stated when combating your comment: "You did not specify which entry to merge with" and while most people would assume you meant My Body Is Ready, you can't be sure, for all we knew, you could've meant I feel like a Purple Pikmin.

Personally, I wish there wasn't a time limit on editing post. Once I figure out how to use a spoiler button, I could go back and edit my post and put the spoilers behind the spoiler tag.

…oh wait, I can't cause I can't edit a post 30 minutes after it's been posted.

Being able to edit your post any time you want would become a opportunity for trolling.

Indeed, if I could edit all my posts, I would go back and fix the grammar of every post I ever made… however, that is all in the past.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!