Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Commenting Etiquette

Last posted Jul 20, 2012 at 03:26PM EDT. Added Jul 19, 2012 at 01:03PM EDT
17 posts from 5 users

Before I begin, I'd like to point out, no, these aren't rules. I can't make them rules, and I don't plan on harassing you all with them continuously. I am, however, sick of seeing general rudeness on the comments section, and I figure having some system of etiquette can't hurt, especially if it's voluntarily adopted. I personally feel that this site, for all of it's positive development over the last 2 years, could be even better if we treated each other with respect and dignity when commenting.

1. Don't make a comment on an entry editor's worth as a human when commenting, or harass them at any level. This is probably my biggest pet peeve when it comes to comments. Yes, people make entries that aren't legitimate. Yes, people make entries that are only attempts to spread their own content. This does NOT make them worthless sacks of flesh. I have too often seen comments that equate to "Go commit suicide for this stupid entry". In any other context, this is hate speech. Any kind of harassment for an entry, such as "get off the internet", "OP is brainless", or anything along those lines, is not kosher.

2. Don't downvote for an opinion you don't agree with if it's well-thought out and calmly presented. There are indeed trolls and ragers who comment, and you can downvote them all you want; that's what the system is for. But there are going to be people who you disagree with, and it doesn't help matters when we neg them into oblivion.

3. Don't start flamewars in the comments. It ruins the opportunity for constructive comments, as everyone is going to want to jump in. If you've got an issue with a commenter, take it to them personally (though you should be respectful on their wall as well).

4. Don't troll. I think it's worth making a note about this, even if it's an unspoken rule already. The comments are a section for constructive criticism or discussion on an entry, and trolling just harms that purpose.

Um… can I just quickly point out that the comment section doesn't have any (easily assessable) rules at all? There is wright ups like this in the forum, but they can't easily be found in the entries.

Perhaps that is why the Comments Section has gotten a bit out of hand.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Um… can I just quickly point out that the comment section doesn't have any (easily assessable) rules at all? There is wright ups like this in the forum, but they can't easily be found in the entries.

Perhaps that is why the Comments Section has gotten a bit out of hand.

Not really sure if you're critiquing me or making a related point, but I am inclined to agree.

you're right, we get riled up too easily, and we turn into huge dicks

but when some kid is making a meme titled "ASSUM MEMEMEEEE"
and the description follows the lines of "HAY GUISE THIS IS BEST MEMEMEEE EVAR"

I'd like to think it brings the KYM community closer, as we collectively hate on these assholes and laugh at their ridiculous trolling attempts

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

you're right, we get riled up too easily, and we turn into huge dicks

but when some kid is making a meme titled "ASSUM MEMEMEEEE"
and the description follows the lines of "HAY GUISE THIS IS BEST MEMEMEEE EVAR"

I'd like to think it brings the KYM community closer, as we collectively hate on these assholes and laugh at their ridiculous trolling attempts

I really can't agree, partly because you never really know the intentions behind someone's entry, and partly because collectively hating is what causes exclusion. How many legitimate users who made a simple mistake have never come back to this site because a bunch of members trashed them on their first experience as a member here? People make mistakes, and I've seen many a user who apologized and corrected their behavior.

Teh Brawler wrote:

Not really sure if you're critiquing me or making a related point, but I am inclined to agree.

Just making a related point. Your "rule set" seems rather solid as far as I can tell, but there is no way for new people to know it's existence without being told or finding it by accident.

My Point: The Comments Section needs Easily Accessible rules similar to the ones in the forums and the ones posted here. Things will keep going to hell otherwise.

Teh Brawler wrote:

I really can't agree, partly because you never really know the intentions behind someone's entry, and partly because collectively hating is what causes exclusion. How many legitimate users who made a simple mistake have never come back to this site because a bunch of members trashed them on their first experience as a member here? People make mistakes, and I've seen many a user who apologized and corrected their behavior.

A good example of this is fairly recent, Today in fact. Take a look at Shy Guy's thread about friend codes . He made an honest thread, but because he doesn't know that's generally how Kasrkai acts (no offence), people attacked him. In fact, the same thing happened to me and my brother when we started. Since I wasn't directly involved with what happened, I stayed, but my brother left because he got angry, when he was trying to be nice to me (even though he embarrassed me in self-defence)

you see some of those memes where everyone joins in on the "deadpool" or "op is a fag" commenting

like, yeah, that's not good etiquette, but goddamn it's hilarious when you see everyone agreeing with each other, so I don't think you should discourage us from our deadpool spam because it's become such a KYM fad

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

you see some of those memes where everyone joins in on the "deadpool" or "op is a fag" commenting

like, yeah, that's not good etiquette, but goddamn it's hilarious when you see everyone agreeing with each other, so I don't think you should discourage us from our deadpool spam because it's become such a KYM fad

I don't mean comments, that's a KYM traditon. But when it comes to the image gallery, that's where the line should be drawn, considering that goes into the sites main image gallery, and possibly might stay there even after the entry's deleted.

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

Tar-and-feathering was an American tradition for many years. Same circumstances: a bunch of people abusing someone because they didn't like that person. And all of those peoplw were in agreement, so I assume you have no issue with that, either.

Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 06:31PM EDT

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

5. Don't comment on a deadpooled meme to make fun of the maker. All that does is put it on the trending bar.

Agreed. Entries like Super Robo Jesus are ok because they're legend here, but necroing a deadpooled entry just to harass the creator is not.

Twenty-One wrote:

Sort of unrelated, but do you have a rule against adding Deadpool to the image gallery? I mean, it is kind of spam.

I don't like it because it's pointless and a waste of bandwidth, but it's not really pertinent here, and much less frequent.

Teh Brawler wrote:

Tar-and-feathering was an American tradition for many years. Same circumstances: a bunch of people abusing someone because they didn't like that person. And all of those peoplw were in agreement, so I assume you have no issue with that, either.

tar and feathering is physical abuse, it will most likely change the person's personality and make that person hate the world for it

kym commenting is words, just words, words that most people on the internet are already desensitized to, if anything the OP truly learns from his mistakes, not only realizing his actions were wrong, but are truly despised in a ridiculous way, so if he ever wants to give another try at making a meme entry, he better RTFM

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

tar and feathering is physical abuse, it will most likely change the person's personality and make that person hate the world for it

kym commenting is words, just words, words that most people on the internet are already desensitized to, if anything the OP truly learns from his mistakes, not only realizing his actions were wrong, but are truly despised in a ridiculous way, so if he ever wants to give another try at making a meme entry, he better RTFM

And words are verbal abuse. Why do you think bullying is such a huge issue in schools? Words do a lot more damage emotionally and psychologically than you understand.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!