Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
forums: post karma only shows total

Last posted Aug 08, 2012 at 10:42AM EDT. Added Aug 03, 2012 at 10:58AM EDT
17 posts from 7 users

in comments and picture uploads there's the thumb thinger where you hover your mouse over and it shows "# up # down", please be implemented in forum posts as well?

I agree. Being able to see both the total upvotes and downvotes on posts would be more helpful than just the total amount.

Last edited Aug 03, 2012 at 07:50PM EDT

I really fail to see how showing individual upvotes and downvotes is better than just showing the total. I could understand if the feature allowed mods to see the username of the person who upvoted/downvoted to prevent karma trolls or alt upvoting, but that would make this mods exclusive. Otherwise, I see no point.

madcat wrote:

I really fail to see how showing individual upvotes and downvotes is better than just showing the total. I could understand if the feature allowed mods to see the username of the person who upvoted/downvoted to prevent karma trolls or alt upvoting, but that would make this mods exclusive. Otherwise, I see no point.

if you have a post with +5 krama

you still want to see if maybe someone thumbed you down

i say just do it, i see no harm

This topic was brought up a loooooong time ago, however it didn't exactly go anywhere because of the user who posted it (all I remember is a Trollface Avatar).

So essentially, adjusting the system to show both the upvotes and the downvotes would allow a user to get a good idea on how many people liked the post and how many people didn't. It's a better form of constructive criticism than just the flat amount.

For example: You could get a post with 5 upvotes, and 5 downvotes. Currently if this where to happen, you would think that nobody especially cared about your post, and would go about your day. If you where able to see both amounts, you could figure out "OH! I just said something extremely controversial! Maybe I should explain in further detail why I think that way next time!" Etc.

@Natsuru
How people view your post should be fairly obvious. After all, that's what karma is for. Karma is treated the same throughout the forums. Zero karma means that people are neutral to what you said; positive karma means that a person or persons approved of your post; negative karma means that a person or persons didn't approve of your post. I still don't see how knowing the total number of upvotes/downvotes is relevant as the message from the people giving karma stays the same.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Did you not read the last paragraph of Natsuru's post, Madcat?

Did you not read the last paragraph of Natsuru’s post, Madcat?

@Madcat:
If knowing the total amounts of Positive and Negative Karma on posts was not that important, then why do we have the total amounts of positive and negative posted on peoples walls?

By being able to look at the total up-votes and down-votes on a post, you can get a better idea on the overall quality of your post, just like how you can judge a user based off the positive to negative percentages on peoples walls. RandomMan made an argument earlier about this concept that essentially stated "You would have a lot more respect for a user who had a higher positive percentage or Karma:Post ratio than a higher Overall Karma Count."

The only difference between the two is that if the total up-votes on the posts would allow the user to be able to clearly identify where he or she got that one random -1 or -2, and not be left in the dark as to what he did to deserve the downvote.

Also, in terms of foreseeable difficulty in making this a feature: it's rather low. The numbers needed to show are already there, a similar feature has been programmed in other parts of the website, and you wouldn't have to re-arrange anything to add the number.

Huh. I wouldn't of made such a fuss if I knew it would be this easy to put to use. Hopefully people will actually use it in ways you argued for, Nats.

Actually, it looks like this has been implemented. I'm guessing that's the reason behind the display problems we're having.

It doesn't appear to work in locked threads either.

Last edited Aug 07, 2012 at 06:03PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!