Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,697 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM security

Last posted Oct 27, 2012 at 10:30PM EDT. Added Oct 24, 2012 at 03:15AM EDT
7 posts from 6 users

There seem to have been two cases of rather small brained internet "trolls" who have been creating fake entries just to make people mad. The articles need to first be deadpooled and the users should probably be banned, I won't name names, but they should be easy to find. The articles are: "The war has begun?"
and "Bear… Nuff said."
I'm not sure how to prevent this but it's getting quite at my nerves for some reason.

Last edited Oct 24, 2012 at 03:16AM EDT

Trash the Stampede wrote:

There seem to have been two cases of rather small brained internet "trolls" who have been creating fake entries just to make people mad. The articles need to first be deadpooled and the users should probably be banned, I won't name names, but they should be easy to find. The articles are: "The war has begun?"
and "Bear… Nuff said."
I'm not sure how to prevent this but it's getting quite at my nerves for some reason.

I'm going to assume that you're new, since this happens all the time. Entry Mods usually take care of the entries in due time by deadpooling them. If they're troll entries, the users that created them are banned (?); if the entries are just bad, the users that created them aren't punished. Users are already brought to a screen that outlines what makes an entry good before they make an entry, so there's not much we can do aside from that.

It's been like this since the beginning of time (or Know Your Meme, rather), we let anyone make an entry and you're inevitably going to have some crap entries. The two entries you pointed out are among thousands.

Anyway, of those two, one had only been made 8 hours ago and the other had been deadpooled the day it was made. Cut us some slack, most deadpool-worthy entries get deadpooled within 1-3 days and if not, just message an entry moderator.

As for the "trolling", this really isn't. It's just people either not knowing how things work around here or just being stupid. It really doesn't call for a ban unless it's spam / gore.

You're the ones letting yourself be "trolled" when you get riled up about entries that nobody forces you to read and you go to the effort of searching through the newest entries, commenting, uploading deadpool images and such. We can't prevent it but we do do our best to remove what's not notable.

I actually did none of the above, but simply created a thread to make a community area for sane people to tell mods of entries that are basically just… well, like you said, either made because of newfags or entirely for the sole purpose of taking up space here. I'm sorry if I wanted to get defensive for one of the only good sites on the internet these days.

Sorry for being a faggot, but OP has a job to do.

Allow me to join in.

If the entries of lesser quality get on your nerves, just don't go through the Submissions section looking for entries. Heck, most of the submissions we get actually are legit, and we have some very active moderators who deadpool the bad entries faster than they can be created.

If you want to tell a moderator about an entry, just message them and they'll have it deadpooled quickly. Trust me, it works.

As for doing something about bad entries, we've had the suggestion of banning brand new members from making entries and banning users who make bad entries plenty of times. Every time, we say that one great entry from a brand new member is worth 50 bad entries from other brand new members. So we're not going to punish people for making bad entries.

If a user creates an entry with the intention of trolling, they may be banned depending on how serious the infraction is. Those kinds of things can also be handled through PM.

Overall, I don't think this thread is very necessary or of very high quality. I'm sorry.

Although I like the name of the thread, I think the point has been addressed.

If you think there is a spam entry, then you can post in this thread. You can also PM a moderator if you think someone is trolling or trying to start a raid (preferably one with entry powers: Entry Moderator, Sr. Entry Moderator, Research Moderator, or Database Moderator.) You can also get in touch with other moderators, because we know who to go to and we have a a couple of more communication avenues that we can utilize.

On the whole, I don't go one day without looking at the forum, even if I don't post. I imagine Entry Moderators are the same way. Anything that needs to be hidden or deadpooled will probably get there fairly quickly. A lot of stuff happens behind the scenes, but there are only so many moderators with only so many hours in the day.

We may also be lazy on occasi

Locking.

Fun Police wrote:

Heck, most of the submissions we get actually are legit, and we have some very active moderators who deadpool the bad entries faster than they can be created.

Sorry, I just wanted to pop in and mention in relation to this statement that I actually once deadpooled an entry three seconds after it was created. It was an awesome feeling.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!