Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Karma listing?

Last posted Nov 08, 2012 at 03:41PM EST. Added Nov 06, 2012 at 10:12PM EST
13 posts from 10 users

I think that if someone gets or loses karma, then they should be able to see who gave it to them, or took it away. Not anyone else, so tat the person who got/lost the karma can say thanks, or ask why the person disliked the post. Of course, there will also be those guys who will rage, but they can easily be dealt with.

This would certainly help with unnecessary karma-bombing, but I don't think that overall, it would be a benefit to KYM. Don't forget that we only have one programmer here, and I can only imagine how long it would take to add a feature like this to the database.

It's an interesting suggestion, though.

This has already been discussed, and the consensus is that there's no need for a feature like this. People would personally attack people who downvoted them, and suck up to people who upvoted them. Really no point to it.

Said sometime before: Knowing exactly who gave you what would cause unnecessary fighting between users despite the fact that it would stop karma bombing.

The trade-off would essentially put us socially back to before we had Karma.

While I don't think the average user should be able to see who-gave-who karma, I think it should be an ability for Senior Forum Mods or Database Mods to have. The way things are now, there is nothing to keep someone from creating six or so alts for the purpose of karma bombing, which has occurred a few times in the past.

Muffins wrote:

While I don't think the average user should be able to see who-gave-who karma, I think it should be an ability for Senior Forum Mods or Database Mods to have. The way things are now, there is nothing to keep someone from creating six or so alts for the purpose of karma bombing, which has occurred a few times in the past.

This has also been discussed. Some mods feared the same problem; mods could secretly check who was downvoting them and hold a grudge. As of now, James can check who upvotes/downvotes any posts, so he can handle cases of karmanbombing, if they get serious.

madcat wrote:

This has already been discussed, and the consensus is that there's no need for a feature like this. People would personally attack people who downvoted them, and suck up to people who upvoted them. Really no point to it.

^This right here. Adding such a feature would turn karma into a witchhunt, we don't want that to happen. The cons outweigh the pros, both mods and staff agreed on that.

Epic Fail Pony, Element of Success wrote:

Or we could just remove the downvote button so people wouldn’t be butthurt. Of course 75% of the time downvotes are used to hide spam or trolls.

I don't think that's the best idea because like you said, the downvote button can be used to bury spam, trolls or just bad posts.

Look at these men. Now back to me. Now back to them. Now back to me. Sadly, they aren't me. But if they stopped complaining about karma, and became tricksters, they could seem like they're me. Look down. Back up. Where are you? You're on a forum, with the man these men could be like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I am holding two tickets to that thing you like. Look again. The tickets are now explosions. Anything is possible when a man is a troll like me.

I'm on a magnet car!

Papa Coolface wrote:

Look at these men. Now back to me. Now back to them. Now back to me. Sadly, they aren't me. But if they stopped complaining about karma, and became tricksters, they could seem like they're me. Look down. Back up. Where are you? You're on a forum, with the man these men could be like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I am holding two tickets to that thing you like. Look again. The tickets are now explosions. Anything is possible when a man is a troll like me.

I'm on a magnet car!

And so KYM's story of never having a good troll on the forums continues.

Also locking as it has already been confirmed a dead idea for the time being.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!