Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Allow thumbs-up/down buttons to change rating

Last posted Jan 24, 2013 at 05:03AM EST. Added Dec 30, 2012 at 08:03AM EST
7 posts from 7 users

It's a simple concept and one that makes too much sense to not have. But considering that karma has no real effect (outside of forum posts where a post you were going to upvote won't suffer much from your one downvote, and it likely won't be hidden) and infrequent mistakes aren't likely to drastically affect a user's, an image's, or a comment's karma, I don't think it's a huge problem.

Also, further considering how infrequently this sort of mistake happens (personally, I've clicked the downbutton by mistake less than ten times, and I've given out over 11,000 karma,) even if the implementation was relatively easy to put into place, it really wouldn't change anything.

I think it's a minor inconvenience of the site, at its worst.

Having said that, this is a rather basic function most sites with karma have. Unless KYM is special in its karma system, then KYM would be lacking to not allow you to recant your vote.

Last edited Dec 30, 2012 at 09:11AM EST

However, I would add a time limit to change your vote to keep people from suddenly changing all of their votes on one person to Negative. One minute to do so would be generous.

I believe this was changed to 1. remove the ability to do longterm karma trolling and 2. there was a glitch where people could upvote themselves multiple times.

Karma is for the most part meaningless anyway, so one misplaced vote one way or the other won't screw up much.

I am also of the view that karma has as much meaning as you assign it, and in that respect, I consider this potential feature to be fruitless to those that hold the same opinion. Of course, it would appear that downplaying the importance of karma is an unavailing idea to the majority of the user base. In that respect, it is quite a simple feature that would not take very much effort to add.

I will remain detached from this idea for the most part (as of now, at least), but if this suggestion is to be implemented, I would think that adding a time limit on reverting upvotes and downvotes would be advantageous. If there is a 30-minute delete limit on posts to prevent posts of poor quality, then it isn’t far-fetched to think that after voting on a post, 30 minutes would be an acceptable time limit to change one’s mind about the vote they made. Karma exists for a reason, and enforcement or discouragement of posts as a revision of a previous vote would be a suitable choice to make, in my opinion.

Keep in mind that only after one has voted on a post would the 30-minute limit system take effect, though.

Now I’m going to be thinking about how “minute” and “limit” nearly rhyme for the rest of the day. Thanks.

how this for an idea

if you downvote, you can change it to an upvote

but if you upvote, you can't change it to a downvote

this avoids downvote trolling

Chris wrote:

I believe this was changed to 1. remove the ability to do longterm karma trolling and 2. there was a glitch where people could upvote themselves multiple times.

Karma is for the most part meaningless anyway, so one misplaced vote one way or the other won't screw up much.

You say that as if vote switching and multiple upvoting are mutually inclusive.

If other sites can do this, we can.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!