Forums / Discussion / General

232,902 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Did someone say...

Last posted Jan 16, 2013 at 01:20AM EST. Added Jan 05, 2013 at 05:10PM EST
80 posts from 48 users

Community Building Contest?

Ha ha yeah. What up nerds.

It's been a while hasn't it? Well I seen the thread (that has since been closed) and i'm 100% down to do another one for the new year? Now I probably don't know most of you and the ones I do know are insufferable but all that aside I love running these things.

So I have some questions.

1. Should I even bother?

2a. Should it be the same as last time or a new format?

2b. If you want the same what went right last time? What went disastrously wrong (team balancing, team balancing, team balancing)

3. Who would like to play? Who would like to help?

now in the other thread people said that there was a huge responsibility and commitment to hosting, take it from me, the founder and curator of cbcs, that's an exaggeration. i don't know how many people i'll need to help, we'll have to see. but one big thing is if you want to play don't help. you'll have more fun playing and that is what it's about.

4. what do you want for prizes (i don't know what you guys want)

5. what do you think aboutopening the playing field up to the general public? (maybe get a blog post going or sum shit) i personally would like to, but hey, if there is overwhelming opposition i will not.

6. how much do you love me?

so yeah, this is me just testing the waters, this isn't a pre-game thread or even a pre-pre-game thread. and no i'm not "back" i'm just here for this.

• 1. Should I even bother?
    yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
  • 2a. Should it be the same as last time or a new format?

I don't know, I didn't get into the last, soooo…

• 3. Who would like to play? Who would like to help?

Uh… Me? please.

• 4. what do you want for prizes (i don’t know what you guys want)

I would like titles a title like last time, but I might change my mind if anybody suggests otherwise.

• 5. what do you think aboutopening the playing field up to the general public? (maybe get a blog post going or sum shit) i personally would like to, but hey, if there is overwhelming opposition i will not.

That might be a bad idea.

• 6. how much do you love me?

why wont u fwend meee :<

Last edited Jan 05, 2013 at 05:30PM EST

Playing sounds nice. If you want me to co-host with you again Blubber like last time, that should be entirely doable as well. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested. If you feel like solo hosting or want to give someone else a chance, I'm game for participation.

Well, hello there, Captain Blubber. As a newer member, I can’t say that I know anything about you other than that your name is that of a certain character in a game I played in my childhood.

Ideally, I could help out with hosting the game, if and only if you’re interested. I’m sure I could do something to help. If not, then I’d also be happy with just being a regular participant in this game.

As for prizes, maybe award custom titles to the users or something…?

Evan Hechenbach wrote:

Well, hello there, Captain Blubber. As a newer member, I can’t say that I know anything about you other than that your name is that of a certain character in a game I played in my childhood.

Ideally, I could help out with hosting the game, if and only if you’re interested. I’m sure I could do something to help. If not, then I’d also be happy with just being a regular participant in this game.

As for prizes, maybe award custom titles to the users or something…?

Custom Titles were the prize last time. The winning team got to pick titles for themselves (they chose "Alpha as F*ck") and also could give demeaning titles to the losing team (which became "RandomMan's Bitches" :I).

They were temporary though. The idea was a month but we forgot and they got 2 weeks extra or something. Can't get too crazy now, can we. Doing a similar thing is probably doable.

RandomMan wrote:

Custom Titles were the prize last time. The winning team got to pick titles for themselves (they chose "Alpha as F*ck") and also could give demeaning titles to the losing team (which became "RandomMan's Bitches" :I).

They were temporary though. The idea was a month but we forgot and they got 2 weeks extra or something. Can't get too crazy now, can we. Doing a similar thing is probably doable.

Opspe is still 'Alpha as F***' in my book.

Iefshjbkglfgigf OF COURSE I WILL
As long as it's cool to participate in. And I'll contribute this time because last time I was occupied by other things and I didn't know how to talk to my team.

RandomMan wrote:

I honestly can't think of a better idea. And you're right; we can't get too crazy. If the prize were something like "everybody on the winning team becomes a database moderator," I'd fear for our community and the site.

I want to help. As you are well aware, I very much disliked the last one because the teams were so messed up. I want to make sure this gets remedied at least partially this time. Also, I'm a sore loser.

Come into the IRC more often.

Yeah I'm not going to guarantee my participation throughout, considering I completely forgot about it the last time we did this, but I shall try.

For blubber <3

Yes, a chance to cease being a social outcast and feel like I'm a part of an Internet community and that I understand all the fun stuff that goes on in a certain forum and I totally know what's going on all the time.

Now, someone will just have to explain to me what do.

As some of you have been questioning what the CBC is, I'll answer you here.

The Community Building Challenge is a series of challenges in which two teams (chosen at random) compete to each other to complete as many challenges as possible for the saking of community building (we all know it's about obliterating the other team so you can claim their wenches). These challenges vary between artwork, to things to do IRL. Some are simple, others require a bit of work and effort, and others are passive but will require time. The team which has completed the most challenges wins and can claim the prize for themselves.

There are multiple steps to the game itself:

1. Signing up (aka, this thread): Those that want to join can sign up here. Simple as that. It gives a clear estimate of the amount of players.
    1. Challenge creation: This one is solely made for the host(s). Here he/they decide the challenges for the teams to complete. It will be done in private so neither team will have an advantage over the other until the game starts. The challenge thread from last year so you can get an idea.
  2. Team creation and introduction to your teammates: Last year each team got their personal forum (external host) on which they could discuss stuff amongst themselves. Once the teams have been created you can use this to introduce yourself, explain your skills and usefulness to the team, and share which challenges you will complete so you don't end up doing more work.
  3. Game thread: This is where the magic happens. Here you post the challenges your team completed (with timestamp if requested). The host(s) will then add a point to your team for that challenge. Some challenges allow bonus points, so make use of that.

Side notes:

• Everyone is useful, don't hold back if you think you won't be able to help your team, because you will if you try. The challenges contain a lot of variety, so there's certain to be something for you.
  • Doing nothing gets you nothing. You can't join just for the prize as you won't get it if you didn't help your team get it.
  • Respect your teammates, you can get kicked if the majority of your team requests so.
Last edited Jan 07, 2013 at 10:15AM EST

well randomman has it all 100% (i guess we'll just redo the same thing as last time, cbcs have taken many forms over the years to various degrees of success)

there is plenty of interest which is great (even though a lot of you don't know what a cbc is and that makes me feel mad old) things are being worked out i suppose so no sign-up date yet.

so um just GET HYPE

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!