Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

2 New Categories: "Video" and "Fad"

Last posted Jan 18, 2013 at 07:22PM EST. Added Jan 18, 2013 at 10:24AM EST
3 posts from 3 users

I don't know how many times I have tried to make an entry for a small fad or video, but I can't put that category. The "Video" tag could apply to things like the "Double Rainbow" entry, and the "Fad" tag could apply to the "THIS VIDEO CONTAINS X" entry. I feel like this is needed.

We already had a discussion about a fad classification a month ago.

As for Video, those belong in the meme category. Sure the meme is the video, but a large part of its online popularity is also the numerous amounts of derivatives and fanworks people create from it. The "meme" here is that video and everything it spawned, not just that video.

If the entries you claim here you couldn't make in the past didn't match the "meme" criteria, there is a high chance they lack the overall spread to deserve a KYM page. Making a semi-category for these small fry videos would then only result in a clusterfuck of entries of which we can have no clear insight on as to what needs to be deadpooled and what is actually legit.

Mentioning Double Rainbow then is just a bad example. Double Rainbow is, without any doubt, a meme. It would simply not fit in a Video category, as it spawned so much stuff that it far exceeds that category.

tl;dr: I disagree with both category ideas.

Last edited Jan 18, 2013 at 10:40AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!