Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

that to upload photos, you can assign more than one meme (when mixed all different memes)

Last posted Jan 26, 2013 at 07:47PM EST. Added Jan 26, 2013 at 11:41AM EST
5 posts from 4 users

I have seen that there are pictures repeated in 2 different inputs, so I was wondering if you can add the function "assign the picture to more than 2 memes" that is that this then appears in 2 entries at once (eg a photo MLP and Habbo Hotel, to put the photo belongs to both inputs)

I like this idea.

We've talked about being able to move an image that you've uploaded from one gallery into another. I don't see that being abused anymore than users uploading images into the wrong gallery in the first place. Moderators with image powers might be able to move any media from one gallery into another.

This would be a bit different. Instead of getting a scrolldown menu where you choose from all seventy billion 9,168 entries, perhaps you could have mutliple scrolldown menus for one image to choose from.

At the moment, I think that tags are the best way to make it so that others can find an image. You wouldn't be able to see them in another gallery unless you uploaded it there separately. But users can use the search function to find images with a certain tag.

So in the instance you gave, you could put the image in the Habbo Hotel gallery and then tag it with "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" or "My Little Pony." That way, even though the image isn't in the My Little Pony gallery, you'd be able to search for "My Little Pony" or "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" (which is the actual name of the entry) and still find the image.

Note that you shouldn't have to put "Habbo Hotel" in the tags, because it being in the Habbo Hotel gallery should make the image come up in a search for "Habbo Hotel."

What do you guys think? Is making a function to add one image to multiple galleries at once a good idea? Does the convenience of the idea outweigh the time/effort for coding?

…No, I didn't miss that golden opportunity.

You questioning my power level, son?

If content (an image/video/etc) is allowed on multiple pages, I propose that the +/- votes for the content apply to its association with that page rather than to the content itself so that content could be voted up on a page where it fits and voted down on a page where it does not fit. Favorites would still apply to the content.

Karma becomes a problem; if people get karma for content they upload, the same content is now getting X karma * N associations for a lot more karma than before, and the person who created the association might be wanting some karma too. Consider scoring the karma for uploaded content as the best net-positive association (counted daily), and granting some amount of karma for an association if the association is a net positive. If karma is not awarded for uploads, then never mind.

Adding a tag might automatically create an association if there is a page with the same name as the tag.

There are image comparison algorithms that can be used to find examples of duplicate content for later manual merging, but I have never studied them so I can't make an informed recommendation. Here's a StackOverflow discussion.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/843972/image-comparison-fast-algorithm

Youtube does something similar to recognize similarities in audio and video for copyright enforcement.

Last edited Jan 26, 2013 at 02:54PM EST

Verbose wrote:

I like this idea.

We've talked about being able to move an image that you've uploaded from one gallery into another. I don't see that being abused anymore than users uploading images into the wrong gallery in the first place. Moderators with image powers might be able to move any media from one gallery into another.

This would be a bit different. Instead of getting a scrolldown menu where you choose from all seventy billion 9,168 entries, perhaps you could have mutliple scrolldown menus for one image to choose from.

At the moment, I think that tags are the best way to make it so that others can find an image. You wouldn't be able to see them in another gallery unless you uploaded it there separately. But users can use the search function to find images with a certain tag.

So in the instance you gave, you could put the image in the Habbo Hotel gallery and then tag it with "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" or "My Little Pony." That way, even though the image isn't in the My Little Pony gallery, you'd be able to search for "My Little Pony" or "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" (which is the actual name of the entry) and still find the image.

Note that you shouldn't have to put "Habbo Hotel" in the tags, because it being in the Habbo Hotel gallery should make the image come up in a search for "Habbo Hotel."

What do you guys think? Is making a function to add one image to multiple galleries at once a good idea? Does the convenience of the idea outweigh the time/effort for coding?

…No, I didn't miss that golden opportunity.

You questioning my power level, son?

you scared me with the latest XD

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!