Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Slightly disturbing?

Last posted Dec 07, 2013 at 07:16PM EST. Added Nov 29, 2013 at 11:57PM EST
18 posts from 13 users

Is anyone else bothered by the amount of bigotry on this site? You know, racism, blind hatred, the typical stuff. I know that it's the Internet and anonymity + audience= horrible things, and that nobody has the right to not be offended, but I have to say that the only place with more homophobia is probably YouTube.

Please don't call me the PC police chief. I'm far from it. I have a strange hatred of Chinese culture, which sucks because I'm Chinese.

"Oh hahaha you're just butthurt that you got downvoted a lot"
Seriously though, go on any article here that's remotely related to women, gay people, or colored people and watch the shitstorm ensue. For the record, cranbury pie is quite tasty.

I really haven't seen much hate on this site. We mostly talk about memes, and the only time I see hatred is on articles about hot-button issues and a few bigots or idiots here and there. YouTube has around 1 billion users, and the hate there is tame compared to places like 4chan (it's tame on YouTube because of how little hate there is even though it's a massive site).

hi there HorribleGhost. Here on KnowYourMeme we try our best to be objective in our meme entries which in most cases, because of the nature of the Internet, it is a really hard task to accomplish. Yes the Internet is racist, sexist (and other -ists). We have a duty to document popular Internet culture no matter how politically incorrect it might be. But we're trying to document these as objectively and SFW as possible.

Following what Sav said, there also isn't much to compare it to. As you said yourself: "anonymity + audience= horrible things", and subjects involving homophobia or racism tend to get more attention in the news and on social media. And if it becomes notable, we document it. Of course in this progress we try to stay as objective as possible, which means we cover both sides of the spectrum from an objective point of view.

If you mean our comment sections, I can't run over that. Comment sections aren't exactly places where I expect high intelligence, quite the opposite actually. People are entitled to have their own opinions, regardless of their views on the subject. That we then apparently have more cases of bigotry if I have to believe you here, is unfortunate.

Also watch out for flame trolling, we have quite some users who are very gullible towards that.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Yeah, the environment in this site sucks, ESPECIALLY towards people who don't follow the mainstream opinions.. I have a link to my deviantArt on my profile, and I've gotten dA messages from former KYM users who left because of quote, "misogynist bullshit".

My page has turned into the "Disgruntled KnowYourMeme Commenter Club", basically. Got a deviantArt? Got a bone to pick? Come on over to HorribleGhost's deviantArt! Oh yeah, and there's art too

Rule 0 of the Internet: Where there are comments, there are trolls, who will use anything and everything they can to insult you.

Rule 0 of Using the Internet: Don't let it get to you.

KYM is no exception. I don't think the community here is any worse than that of any other site, and it's sure as hell better than many (COUGH YOUTUBE COMMENTS COUGH).

Suck it up, honestly. Sure there are some shitty people, but it's not like we all are wringing each others necks. Besides, like opspe said, there are a lot shittier communities with heavier racists, sexists, and trolls. The ones that come to mind are 4chan, COD and ED.

The comments are not an accurate representation of the heart and soul of Know Your Meme. The forums are a much better example. The comments are kind of like the seedy underbelly, and it is not fair to judge the site as a whole based on unruly users running rampant in a relatively lawless section of the site.

Internet anonymity brings out the worst in people, regardless of which site it is on.

Seriously, if you get butthurt easily, stick to the forums. They're much friendlier. The comments are no place for a lightweight.

Last edited Dec 02, 2013 at 04:16PM EST

Fiddle with my Diddle wrote:

If you don't like what this site is doing you always just leave

OP talked about the behavior of some of the folks in the comment sections, not the purpose of the site.

While I find that everyone is allowed to have an opinion, I can agree with OP that some of the flamewars our comment sections can become with controversional topics are unasked for. We want the site to be a welcoming place.

I don't know why I'm commenting on this thread… I'm not going to change anyone's opinion on the matter, but, I've got 5 minutes to waste.

To tell you the truth, I see very little genuine racism and homophobia on this site from the vast majority of members. I can point out roughly 3 or 4 people (who's names I can remember) who are actually possibly homophobic or racist. Now, jokes about race and gay people are quite common.

One of my favorite memes is "OP is a faggot". Does that mean I equate homosexuality to the kind of stupidity or laziness I'm implying for the OP? Hell no, I think roughly half my friends are gay.

Whenever we get an article relating to racial discrimination, the overwhelming majority, and sometimes (though rarely) everyone in the comment section is in agreement that what's happening is wrong. Again, some people make jokes about it, but from following them, their past behavior shows anything but an actual racist attitude. I know real racists…. they are much, much different from people who joke about it.

On youtube from what I've seen, its usually about a half and half mix of juvenile prejudice and sensible people. That ratio is far too high for me. This is actually the reason I finally joined this site after lurking for almost…. checks watch… a year ._.

It's probably the most balanced and sensible comments section I've ever seen.

This has been a pointless rant by FluffBall.

Also… you know what…. what on earth are you talking about: "Misogynistic Bullshit". I've never seen misogyny on this site. What are you counting as that?

I'm not immediately saying you're wrong (maybe you have examples?), but for the life of me, I've never seen anyone even joking about that.

I'm not bothered by it, because these bigoted assholes give me the fuel to burn the living shit out of them.

(even though it's just online)

FluffBall wrote:

Also… you know what…. what on earth are you talking about: "Misogynistic Bullshit". I've never seen misogyny on this site. What are you counting as that?

I'm not immediately saying you're wrong (maybe you have examples?), but for the life of me, I've never seen anyone even joking about that.

The very source of OP's butthurt.

Can't tell if OP is a very skilled troll or just taking things a little bit too serious. Either way, I'm rather surprised what a shit storm this entire thread has turn into, and would have expected a better reaction from the community. Why would you argue with someone about an issue on the internet at all unless there was an actual issue?

I'm sorry, you're gullible losers, it's just too painful to bear witness to, because anyone with any common sense would have better things to do with his/her life. You are the very killing the entire internet forever. I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now.

Last edited Dec 05, 2013 at 10:45PM EST

Sweatie Killer wrote:

The very source of OP's butthurt.

Can't tell if OP is a very skilled troll or just taking things a little bit too serious. Either way, I'm rather surprised what a shit storm this entire thread has turn into, and would have expected a better reaction from the community. Why would you argue with someone about an issue on the internet at all unless there was an actual issue?

I'm sorry, you're gullible losers, it's just too painful to bear witness to, because anyone with any common sense would have better things to do with his/her life. You are the very killing the entire internet forever. I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now.

I dont think horrible ghost is a troll, she's been here forever and from what I've seen, just tends to take things way too seriously.

Also… really? You classify this as a shitstorm? Gotta be kitten me. This is a mild drizzle. Maybe a pillow fight.

FluffBall wrote:

I dont think horrible ghost is a troll, she's been here forever and from what I've seen, just tends to take things way too seriously.

Also… really? You classify this as a shitstorm? Gotta be kitten me. This is a mild drizzle. Maybe a pillow fight.

Sorry to interrupt the process.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!