Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,696 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

A glitch in the followers option

Last posted Feb 09, 2014 at 08:25AM EST. Added Feb 05, 2014 at 12:31PM EST
6 posts from 5 users

So, I think there might be a glitch in the followers option.
Basically, I followed brad. Then I went to look in his image gallery, and when I came back, the follower option was still there, so I clicked it again just to make sure, but then, instead of saying I was following him, it said we were friends.
I retried this with windingo with salad, and it had the same result, and now it says they're both following me. Is this a glitch or something?

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 12:32PM EST

I'd imagine brad just followed you back when he got the e-mail you were following him. And as far as windingo, you're showing up on his followers list, so it probably just glitched and showed the wrong button. Btw when two people follow each other, they become "friends" so the button replaces from "stop following" to "stop being friends." Has this happened with any other profiles? And if so, what browser are you using?

Well that's.. interesting. You may wish to unfollow me, as I used you as a test subject to look at this.

From what I can see, both "Follow" and "Be Friends" use the exact same command (data-method="true") that checks from an outside source whether or not the two people involved are already following each other. When you hit the back button, it doesn't resubmit data, just uses the last page configuration available – allowing you to send a second check (data-method="true") to the source, where it replies that there is already a "following" action going on, and upgrades that to a "friends" action.

That's in contrast to the "Stop Following" option (data-method="delete") that you'd normally get from not following someone.

I doubt this is going to a big problem because of how recently you discovered it, but James might want to fix that to keep people from spamming others' dashboards.

The whole follower/following/friend system is a piece of shit and needs a complete overhaul anyway.

I've never touched the friend code since I joined so this bug has been here for 3.5+ years at least and this is the first time someone has brought it up.

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 01:10PM EST

Sonata Dusk wrote:

Well that's.. interesting. You may wish to unfollow me, as I used you as a test subject to look at this.

From what I can see, both "Follow" and "Be Friends" use the exact same command (data-method="true") that checks from an outside source whether or not the two people involved are already following each other. When you hit the back button, it doesn't resubmit data, just uses the last page configuration available – allowing you to send a second check (data-method="true") to the source, where it replies that there is already a "following" action going on, and upgrades that to a "friends" action.

That's in contrast to the "Stop Following" option (data-method="delete") that you'd normally get from not following someone.

I doubt this is going to a big problem because of how recently you discovered it, but James might want to fix that to keep people from spamming others' dashboards.

Ok, thanks for the help

I also were going to mention this today. But since Muffinlicious have already opened it there is no need another thread.
I have messed up and somehow make some users follow me, including you James… Sorry for that.

Javascript is not working when you click the follow button multiple times quickly or when you have a damn slow internet connection. It is kinda similar and related to negative favourite glitch isn't it?

Last edited Feb 09, 2014 at 08:33AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!